• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    I CC sound my house a lot but not OC. All depends on your neighbors. Just because you think they won't notice doesn't mean you won't get a visit from a couple uniformed fellas that may or may not be sympathetic.

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    I live in Essex, and I oc when I mow my lawm.

Just some back ground. I live on the water in a quieter section of town with good neighbors. Now only a few blocks away is a large group of section eight housing with a large population of what we are told are "new Marylanders" the number of home invasions has sky rocketed in the last two years. Middle River and Essex has had a huge increase in break ins, home invasions and people just walking in to houses and stealing and robbing.

So yea when I am home I have a gun on me. when working in the yard a 10mm colt is in my galco on my belt in plain site. When I take out the trash or recycables there is an sp101 in my cargo pocket.

ffemtreed

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2011
    Wilmington, NC
    you can carry on your own property however you see fit. Just make 100% sure you don't leave your property lines when carrying. Even if the authorities ask you step over here for a minute. Its probably an urban legend that someone may have gotten in trouble for that, but the point is still be careful!

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    You could still be charged with brandishing, disorderly conduct or going in terror of the public or some such.

It's a gamble but you are legally entitled.

Go for it.

charlesmd

Mar 8, 2012
    What about if you OC in your own yard and your neighbor right next door asks you to come over and he is okay with you OC'ing, is that legal if you get permission for your next door neighbor to OC?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Going in terror of the public? LOL come on, now you are just making up stuff.

really? this is MD.My quote also said "or some such" meaning I was not quoting a statute. I suggest you try walking around your property with an unholstered handgun where your neighbors can see you and let us know how it goes.

Nah the cops won't show up.

And some state statutes do use that phraseology. I don't know thee wording in MD.hence my use of the phrase "or some such."

But as you say, it's your right.

damosan

Feb 21, 2009
    I suggest you try walking around your property with an unholstered handgun where your neighbors can see you and let us know how it goes.

Whenever I come back from shooting I end up taking half the aresenal outside to clean them. Folks see me cleaning handguns and the AR all the time.

No issues other than a snotty "nice" from a passerby one time. Flipped her the bird. She took on the insulted look for a half second but went on her merry way.

D.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I OC all day, every day on my property - haven't had an issue yet, local sheriff's deputies actually have asked "What are you carrying today?", they typically set-up at the top of my driveway to run radar-traps.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Please elaborate...

State law directly controls where you may carry a handgun. Criminal Art. 4-203 broadly bans carrying handguns:
    a)(1) Except as provided in subsection (b) of this section, a person may not:
    (i) wear, carry, or transport a handgun, whether concealed or open, on or about the person;
    (ii) wear, carry, or knowingly transport a handgun, whether concealed or open, in a vehicle traveling on a
    road or parking lot generally used by the public, highway, waterway, or airway of the State;
    (iii) violate item (i) or (ii) of this paragraph while on public school property in the State; or
    (iv) violate item (i) or (ii) of this paragraph with the deliberate purpose of injuring or killing another person.
    (2) There is a rebuttable presumption that a person who transports a handgun under paragraph (1)(ii) of this subsection transports the handgun knowingly.

One of the exceptions is Subpart (6) which permits "(6) the wearing, carrying, or transporting of a handgun by a person on real estate that the person owns or leases or where the person resides or within the confines of a business establishment that the person owns or leases;"

There is no provision or exception that allows carry outside your own home with the property owner's permission.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Whenever I come back from shooting I end up taking half the aresenal outside to clean them. Folks see me cleaning handguns and the AR all the time.

No issues other than a snotty "nice" from a passerby one time. Flipped her the bird. She took on the insulted look for a half second but went on her merry way.

D.

Well my point is if LE gets called they have several options from doing nothing up to arresting you.

Brandishing or disorderly conduct are viable charges even on your own property. There are no absolutes when it comes to firearms.

charlesmd

Mar 8, 2012
    There is no provision or exception that allows carry outside your own home with the property owner's permission. [/QUOTE]

Not that I am going to or did before, if I was OC'ing in my own house inside or outside and my next door neighbor invited me to come over to have a chat. I couldn't walk over to his property which is attached to mine, and had his permission, that would be illegal? If so that it doesn't make any sense. Thanks in advanced for all your insight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom