Carry question, Absolute newby concidering going there, so excuse the simplicity)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Two terms for the same thing. There's only one carry license.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    Maryland doesn't make a distinction between Concealed and Open - hence, Wear & Carry applies to both (in other words, one permit applies to both methods of handgun carry). CCW is typically considered to mean Concealed Carry Weapon. Example - in Virginia, anyone of legal age and non-prohibited status can openly carry a handgun with no "license" requirement from the state; however, to carry a handgun concealed, one must have a CCW permit recognized by the Commonwealth.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Maryland doesn't make a distinction between Concealed and Open - hence, Wear & Carry applies to both (in other words, one permit applies to both methods of handgun carry). CCW is typically considered to mean Concealed Carry Weapon. Example - in Virginia, anyone of legal age and non-prohibited status can openly carry a handgun with no "license" requirement from the state; however, to carry a handgun concealed, one must have a CCW permit recognized by the Commonwealth.
    Until October 1. Open carry is verboten under SB1.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    "CCW" is just an unfortunate internet term that doesn't even mean anything.

The term "Wear and Carry" is specific to Maryland and seems to have come into use after the Woollard decision was suppressed and Maryland procedures were changed, about 2013. That's when I first noticed it, and I don't recall seeing it before then.

Actually, the Maryland permit just says, "Handgun Permit".

Other states use different terms. In Pennsylvania it's a "License to Carry Firearms", or LTCF. I think my old Florida permit was a "Concealed Weapons Permit." In Virginia it's a "Concealed Handgun Permit".

Like I said, "CCW" is an internet thing, and people use it interchangeably to refer to the permit as well as the weapon. It's actually a bit annoying.

Last edited:

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    CCW = (to me) concealed carry weapon

What's your CCW?
    Glock 23
    FABULOUS!!!!!
    I have a Glock 23. And the last time I took it out of the safe, I did my hair differently.

As for the OP's question about the acronymagery:

Threeband is right, of course. "CCW" is s silly thing. It refers to the weapon itself, not a permit, permission, or other legal mechanism (or lack of one).

You'll find different states refer to the them "licenses" or "permits" and you'll see state-specific acronyms like "HGP" (handgun permit) "HCL" (handgun carry license) or "CCP" (concealed carry permit), or of course "CC" (constitutional carry, a la West Virginia, in our area - no permit required).

Rickman

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 31, 2012
    Port Deposit, MD
    I believe MD is called an HGP, Hand Gun Permit and is as stated, wear and carry. Of course, as always I could be wrong .

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I believe MD is called an HGP, Hand Gun Permit and is as stated, wear and carry. Of course, as always I could be wrong .
    This is where the confusion originates. You are correct, the actual permit is the HGP as stated above. But, on the MSP site where you got to apply is referred to as the "Wear and Carry Portal".

Rickman

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 31, 2012
    Port Deposit, MD
    This is where the confusion originates. You are correct, the actual permit is the HGP as stated above. But, on the MSP site where you got to apply is referred to as the "Wear and Carry Portal".
    Thanks for the clarification. I guess I'm not too awfully confused.

TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    I have a Glock 23. And the last time I took it out of the safe, I did my hair differently.

As for the OP's question about the acronymagery:

Threeband is right, of course. "CCW" is s silly thing. It refers to the weapon itself, not a permit, permission, or other legal mechanism (or lack of one).

You'll find different states refer to the them "licenses" or "permits" and you'll see state-specific acronyms like "HGP" (handgun permit) "HCL" (handgun carry license) or "CCP" (concealed carry permit), or of course "CC" (constitutional carry, a la West Virginia, in our area - no permit required).
    In CA, for at least the past 30 years, it's referred to, in firearm circles and as refered to by my work interaction with LEO as CCW which, by looking at it, it says "Licensed To Carry Concelaed, Pistol, Revolver, or Other Firearm Within the State of California". I always took that acronym as concealed carry within, not concealed carry weapon. The within relates to the permit rather than the weapon. CCP makes more sense but that also relates to commies so maybe that's why CCW rules. LCC or Licensed Concealed Carry would also work. But what do I know; and who cares (other than grammer Nazis), it's a CA concealed carry permit for firearms in CA.

UT permit states "Concealed Firearms Permit". CFP; leave it to those rascals to make sense with acronyms better than CA. That said IDK what acronym those in UT use for a concealed permit. Many relocated CA residents in UT so it may be CCW, maybe not.

That said, Occam has it right; different states call Concealed Carry (w/ or w/o open carry) by different names and acronyms.

IIRC Idaho is constructional carry, but with an enhanced permit you can conceal carry at sensitive locations, like universities. I believe they just call that an enhanced permit, no acronyms.

@BFMIN , there is a website that breaks down all of the CC laws by state, etc., that my instructors pointed me to. I don't recall the exact name and my googefu fails me but someone may post it up. I don't want to post a bad link.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009

Legally by Statute , it is a Wear & Carry Permit .

" Handgun Permit " is made up by MSP LD , has no legal basis , is ambiguous , and deliberately confusing .

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Legally by Statute , it is a Wear & Carry Permit .

" Handgun Permit " is made up by MSP LD , has no legal basis , is ambiguous , and deliberately confusing .
    Don't know about all that, but...

20230820_191838.jpg

TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Don't know about all that, but...

View attachment 427684
    WTF is this chit.
    I guess you need to get a HGP to buy a handgun in MD.
    But you need a W&C (AKA CCW for CA DOJ) to carry in MD.
    I suppose with a W&C that satisfies the HGP requirement to buy a handgun in MD.
    But you can get a collectors license to allow you to get more quicker on your HGP for a fee.
    Then the handgun needs to be on the roster?

MD has trumped CA on this chit.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    WTF is this chit.
    I guess you need to get a HGP to buy a handgun in MD.
    But you need a W&C (AKA CCW for CA DOJ) to carry in MD.
    I suppose with a W&C that satisfies the HGP requirement to buy a handgun in MD.
    But you can get a collectors license to allow you to get more quicker on your HGP for a fee.
    Then the handgun needs to be on the roster?

MD has trumped CA on this chit.
    No. Two separate things; HQL is for buying a handgun. HGP is your wear and carry permit. The reason it is called 'wear and carry' is because the state did not differentiate between concealed or open carry. It(for now) is legal to carry either way with the same permit.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    No. Two separate things; HQL is for buying a handgun. HGP is your wear and carry permit. The reason it is called 'wear and carry' is because the state did not differentiate between concealed or open carry. It(for now) is legal to carry either way with the same permit.
    And for those from America who are wondering: no. Passing the background check and class needed to get the HGP doesn’t allow you to buy a gun without also having an HQL.

And for extra fun, you could be standing in front of your gun dealer with a legally carried concealed pistol under your shirt, but still have to wait a week to pick up a newly purchased pistol. You know, for safety.

TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    You need not qualify/pay for permit to buy a handgun in CA, it just needs to be on the roster (which is a POS and whole nother issue).

You Marylanders are getting F'd; as if you didn't know.

That said, CA now charges for a background check on ammo purchases. IIRC a buck a sale with a portion going to UCD and that cockbreath Wintermute for his firearms safety research which is lib propaganda.

Evil exists, that Wintermute is a stone cold firearms are a public health threat need to be eliminated for the good of society commie douche.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    And for those from America who are wondering: no. Passing the background check and class needed to get the HGP doesn’t allow you to buy a gun without also having an HQL.

And for extra fun, you could be standing in front of your gun dealer with a legally carried concealed pistol under your shirt, but still have to wait a week to pick up a newly purchased pistol. You know, for safety.
    Welcome to Merryland!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom