• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tomrkba

Jan 22, 2017
    Is there any hope of getting a carry permit in Maryland? I am moving to Baltimore soon. I saw something about gun instructors getting a carry permit. Is this true? If so, what to I have to do?

I have a stack of handguns, carry permits and training certificates.

DO NOT TELL ME HOW MUCH MARYLAND SUCKS. I LIVE IN VIRGINIA AND AM FULLY AWARE OF WHAT I AM DOING. DO NOT CLUTTER UP THIS THREAD WITH WHINING. I AM GOING REGARDLESS OF YOUR OPINION. PLEASE JUST ANSWER THE QUESTIONS!

Last edited:

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Is there any hope of getting a carry permit in Maryland? I am moving to Baltimore soon. I saw something about gun instructors getting a carry permit. Is this true? If so, what to I have to do?

DO NOT TELL ME HOW MUCH MARYLAND SUCKS. I LIVE IN VIRGINIA AND AM FULLY AWARE OF WHAT I AM DOING. DO NOT CLUTTER UP THIS THREAD WITH WHINING. I AM GOING REGARDLESS OF YOUR OPINION. PLEASE JUST ANSWER THE QUESTIONS!
    There is hope. It will likely be a rather lengthy process. Welcome to Maryland.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Attachments

• msi_welcome.jpg
      msi_welcome.jpg
      30.2 KB · Views: 1,044

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    I live in Maryland as well. Is there any chance of getting a permit?

Really you didn't provide enough information for anyone to answer your question. You need a "Good and substantial" reason.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Difficult but not impossible. You'll have to provide a justification as to why you, by name, should have a permit while your neighbor does not. Some higher level of risk that applies to you personally.

divingraven

Apr 24, 2013
    Eastern Shore
    Owning your own business or having your employer write a letter stating why you should carry a firearm greatly increases your chances of obtaining a Wear and Carry Permit. They (the legislature and the MD State Police) set up the hoops, so if you're willing to jump through them, it is entirely possible.
    Good luck.

highli99

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2015
    West Side
    It's absolutely possible but not guaranteed. A lot of time and money is required which discourages many especially when results are not guaranteed due to discrimination by the MSP and a defective beuracracratic process.

Many of us with permits are fighting to make the process fair and accessible to all citizens.

I hope you apply if in a financial position to do so and if you post up more specific questions folks here will help you.

tomrkba

Jan 22, 2017
    I am totally willing to apply for it even if I get the permit one day before I move out of Maryland.

What else have people done in the past?

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Unless you can prove there is a contract on your life, you carry large sums of cash regularly, or it is required for your employment, the chances are slim you will get a carry permit in Maryland, but not impossible.
    Just remember that if you apply and are turned down, you will have to disclose that on any future applications which may impact your ability to acquire a CCW elsewhere.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    See also: restrictions. Unlike other states MD can issue you a permit that is almost worthless.

Instructors can get permits, but most likely restricted to while conducting classes/doing business related to the instruction business.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    This appears in an old thread somewhere, but I had a number of conversations with the relevant personnel within the Maryland State Police (including the State Asst Attorney General) and the firearm licensing div and was repeatedly and unequivocally told that instructors (I'm MDSP and NRA certified) must meet the same G&S requirements as any other Marylander. In other words, although the MDSP trusts me to train others to carry, they don't trust me to.
    Privately, I've been told by a coupla knowledgeable MDS members that, with time, money and effort it is possible, but I don't have the time/motivation to fight that fight, especially since national reciprocity may provide a workaround via the permits I hold from other states. Additionally, I'm actively looking to leave this beautiful albeit Bolshevik-controlled state.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Let's see..........

1. Do you carry lot's of money that the State will lose taxes on if you are robbed? or......
    2. Have you actually been shot at? Twice?

Reality....

Possibility, Yes. Probability, No.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Unless you can prove there is a contract on your life, you carry large sums of cash regularly, or it is required for your employment, the chances are slim you will get a carry permit in Maryland, but not impossible.
    Just remember that if you apply and are turned down, you will have to disclose that on any future applications which may impact your ability to acquire a CCW elsewhere.

NO, NO, NO, NO, NO - ABSOLUTELY FALSE.

Please stop spreading this myth.

OP, you don't give us a lot to go on, perhaps a little light reading will reveal what you are looking for.

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=77878

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    Search HPRB for some insight... Plenty of stories of citizens groveling for a permit. Some sucessfully... others... not so much.:sad20:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    nexgen98

Latest threads

Top Bottom