• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kortnie

May 3, 2011
    Why not just stay somewhere in PA like Shrewsbury, PA? More gun friendly there.

What's in Shrewsbury?
    That's a bit of a drive. I normally drive 30 miles to the office (when I'm at home). But, when I have to fly in Monday, fly out Friday, and still have to put in 40 hours onsite, that 40 mile drive would be a bit much. :(

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    University of MD.

University of MD has several campuses. Since you mention the stadium, you must mean this campus, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Maryland,_Baltimore

The university has it's own security and because of the hospital, there is plenty of Baltimore police around. That said, walk a block or two west and you can be in some of the nastiest neighborhoods in America.

If there is a baseball game the city has more police, because keeping baseball fans safe means $$$ to the city.

kortnie

May 3, 2011
    It might be if the laws in Maryland were different and you were allowed to exercice your constitutionally affirmed right of carrying a firearm; as it stands right now - nope.
    Chances are very low that anything is going to happen in the hotel unless you intend to bring questionable company but since you have to leave your gun there during the day, there is always the additional chance of it getting stolen.

I don't know. Either we are living in completely different cities or our understanding of the term "safe" is somewhat dissimilar. The inner harbor area is pretty safe and after dark the only risk that is increasing is to run into an angry drunk

I have no intentions of walking around by myself at night. If I do go anywhere, I'll be with my coworker, who's a muscular guy.

Any laws against carrying knifes? Obviously no machetes. :-)
    ...2.5" folding knife, just for clarification.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Why not just stay somewhere in PA like Shrewsbury, PA? More gun friendly there.

If the young lady has to travel during rush hour, I-83 is a pain and that goes for getting into and out of PA. Also, if she stays at the Hilton or Hampton Inn near Camden yards, she wouldn't need a rental car or the expense of parking it downtown.

Also, she would still have to worry about securing the gun in the room and personal safety near the University.

futureseabee

CTT not seabee anymore
    Aug 18, 2008
    Va Beach
    I have no intentions of walking around by myself at night. If I do go anywhere, I'll be with my coworker, who's a muscular guy.

Any laws against carrying knifes? Obviously no machetes. :-)
    ...2.5" folding knife, just for clarification.

any size folding knife is legal to carry concealed or visible (i.e.: pocket clip or on a lanyard) iirc. i am not a lawyer

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    It might be if the laws in Maryland were different and you were allowed to exercice your constitutionally affirmed right of carrying a firearm; as it stands right now - nope.
    Chances are very low that anything is going to happen in the hotel unless you intend to bring questionable company but since you have to leave your gun there during the day, there is always the additional chance of it getting stolen.

Locking a long gun up in a room is not difficult, putting it in the trunk when you go out is also an option. Personally, I don't think it's a big deal to bring a Ruger LCP and keep it in your room. Legally, it's questionable, but I would concede that you could theoretically consider it your place of residence... whether the MD State Police would consider it a "bona fide residence" is anyone's guess.

I don't know. Either we are living in completely different cities or our understanding of the term "safe" is somewhat dissimilar. The inner harbor area is pretty safe and after dark the only risk that is increasing is to run into an angry drunk

http://crimebaltimore.com/ <- I don't know 70 reported shootings since 4/15/2011??? You're right... I'm thinking of a different city. Although I will concede there were only 4 shootings since 4/20/2011 near the university... it's a bunch safer.

Mark, the issue is securing the long arm in the room when she isn't there.

Two years ago one of the radio announcers for the Atlanta Braves, playing the O's inter league, had a laptop stolen from his room.

A lock does wonders, locking it your car is perhaps the most secure place to keep your weapon during the day.

He had worked the game, went back to the hotel, dropped his bags off, locked the door and went to the bar. When he came back, his door was open and the laptop gone.

I totally believe it.... what ever you don't want stolen, bring with you. If you cannot afford to have it stolen, you shouldn't bring it to Baltimore.

In your opinion, is having my gun on my nightstand 'worth' the hassle of airport security and having to arrive even earlier to check my firearm?

Flying with a firearm is still pretty simple. I would and do fly with a firearm when possible.

It's nothing fancy. Just a Ruger LCP. Small enough, and heavy enough for my little hands.
    My ideal carry gun is a Walther PPK - perfect weight for recoil absorption, making it ideal for small hands and wrists. That will likely be my next purchase.

The LCP is a great little gun. Nice choice when you want something you can bring just about anywhere it's allowed.

Mark

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    May I suggest thug spray. REI sells it as bear spray.

Are there any Maryland laws prohibiting this? It will still give you protection and you will not have to get up close and personal to use this.

Welcome to Baltimore Its not safe but what big city is?

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Bottom line? Don't bring the firearm.

I've corresponded with one person right now who came from out of state, left his firearm in the hotel room which was subsequently discovered by the cleaning staff.

The man was charged. This was in Baltimore City.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Bottom line? Don't bring the firearm.

I've corresponded with one person right now who came from out of state, left his firearm in the hotel room which was subsequently discovered by the cleaning staff.

The man was charged. This was in Baltimore City.

Norton, were they charged with violating 4-203? (e.g. was it a handgun?)

If so, that's completely messed up, but in line with my thinking that the police may not consider your hotel room a "bona fide" residence. I don't believe there is anything you can be charged with regarding a long gun, but Baltimore City might have other rules. Also, please share the name of the hotel chain, I don't want to give them any of my business.

Mark

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Norton, were they charged with violating 4-203? (e.g. was it a handgun?)

If so, that's completely messed up, but in line with my thinking that the police may not consider your hotel room a "bona fide" residence. I don't believe there is anything you can be charged with regarding a long gun, but Baltimore City might have other rules. Also, please share the name of the hotel chain, I don't want to give them any of my business.

Mark

I'll have to ask the guy what hotel. Yes, it was a handgun.

Unit3960

Feb 11, 2011
    Harford Co. MD
    Kortney, the gun thing is a no...no. The area you are staying is relatively safe. Being that it is the Downtown area near Oriole park and by University Hospital, there are CCTV cameras all over the place, since there are plenty of places to eat, there are plenty of police around when the business are open. University Police is pretty visable at all times. When travelling in Baltimore just as in any other big city, be smart, don't go flashing your loads of cash, your big Iphones/pads/tunes or carry your LV bag in areas where you have to think twice to walk into them or not. Most areas around the hotel area are o.k. Night time traffic gets a little more questionable since the little darlings like to go out to the clubs or hang around the downtown area. If the Orioles are playing at night, then there is plenty police and people out that you will not have any problems. But my advise is definately no to the shotgun or the pistol. Police Commissioner and the Mayor don't take liking to "bad guys with guns" or anyone who can't legally carry them. Here they'll tell you that will only be the police and military LOL. Have a safe trip

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    "It is better to be judged by 12 than carried by6."

9 times out of 10 I would agree with you. This is the one case that she needs to be very careful to stay within the law.

Any one working within the medical field has very strict guidelines in which they must live within both on the job and in life. Something as simple as a DWI could have your license put on hold meaning you have lost your lively hood. Even if you are fund not guilty in the courts it could be years before you get your credentials back to work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom