• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Naptown52

Dec 16, 2013
    Im nearly complete my first AR build. When I purchased my upper, I opted for one with a flip up front sight on the gas block as opposed to a fixed front sight because I knew I eventually wanted to mount some kind of optics on it. When I went to install the flip up rear sight that I ordered from RRA (to match the front sight) I tightened down too much and cracked it. I did however find a carry handle sight locally. It seems much stronger and sturdier, and I definitely want and iron sight to learn on before I upgrade. I guess my question is, can anyone testify as to the effectiveness/reliability of a carry-handle/flip up gas block sight combination? All the other AR's I have looked at with carry handles seem to be used in combination with a fixed front sight.

Mickey the Dragon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2009
    Ohio
    As long as your front sight is the same height as a normal fixed front sight, you shouldn't have any issues. One sure fire way to test it out is to take it to the range and see how it does. If you can get it zeroed properly than everything is good to go.

TheGunnyRet

Ultimate Member
    Mar 27, 2014
    Falling Waters, WV
    Take a piece of thin string and loop it onto the front post carefully then run it down the length of the barrel to the rear sight and run it thru the Long Rang sight (Bigger hole) and hold it tight and see if it is straight and level. If it is your good...

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Bigger rear sight hole or smaller one? smaller one gives you a tighter tolerance.

Slop is the killer. If it wiggles, that's not good for sights. How repeatable it will be from shot to shot is the thing. rotation (if it rotates about the axis of the sight itself) in a rear sight is not as bad as side to side and up/down play. Front sight, if there is any play in the windage, that is also an issue. With a fixed front sight, you are pretty much guaranteed zero play.

Wanting to get good at iron sights.... GOOD FOR YOU! too many people don't want to.

TheGunnyRet

Ultimate Member
    Mar 27, 2014
    Falling Waters, WV
    Bigger Hole is for 500 Yards. Smaller Hole for 100 to 300 yards...the string test is for Line of Sight not movement in the sight, he was using a Clamp on A1 Handle, make sure you BZO your sights on Iron Sights...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jlng1984

Latest threads

Top Bottom