• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Why would you put a carry handle mounted red dot on a removable carry handle? On the Palmetto State Armory customer gallery I am starting to see multiple pics of this configuration. Example posted below.

ce622ddd050b4dadbf291837e0044f86_1666447007673_0_L1800.jpeg

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I would imagine it's a home defense rifle, set up to shoot close range so the height over bore isn't too much of an issue if it is dialed in for the short range intended for. Just a guess.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    When I was younger and had eyes that worked well, this was one setup I used. I could shoot irons and still use the dot. I had them both sighted in at 100 yards.

These days, I can't see crap with irons

Last edited:

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    There are several reasons. For me, I really wanted to build a Blood diamond clone (Not a detachable carry handle). It just so happens that the optic is also the perfect height for shooting with NV.

IMG_0643.jpeg

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    There are several reasons. For me, I really wanted to build a Blood diamond clone (Not a detachable carry handle). It just so happens that the optic is also the perfect height for shooting with NV.

View attachment 458002
    Yes - a non-detachable carry handle - THAT makes sense! But why would you do that with a detachable carry handle?!
    OBTW - I like that build.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    When I was younger and had eyes that worked well, this was one setup I used. I could shoot irons and still use the dot. I had them both sighted in at 100 yards.

These days, I can't see crap with irons
    Hmm - so you can still use the irons with that screw in the way? If so that makes more sense.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Switching to irons is now one step, instead of two. I agree the removable carry handle is a bit much.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Makes no sense except to save on cost of mount as Blaster stated if the arm was sold with the detachable carry handle. If the optic dies and iron sights are utilized then the optic must be removed from tbe detachable carry handle as it would be with a permanent carry handle. If set up with a dot optic mount on the receiver rail and equipped with a BUS…all that is needed is a flip of the lever to deploy the BUS. Plus one doesn’t need to stow the removed optic.

To each their own.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Almost all carry handle scope mounts are see through and allow transition to iron sights. Not the best thing in the whole wide world, but functional, none the less.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I'm not familiar with that one .

What's a " Blood Diamond " Rifle ?

On`a side note, it took me a month and a member here to get a carry handle upper receiver for a build I did a while back. It actually turned out pretty nice. Wish I could get a stock like is pictured above but I gave up on that a while ago. Mine has a binary trigger. Trigger pull is terrible, but it functions as advertised.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Hmm - if the mount allows use of the irons, I may consider this option for my commando build. Thanks for giving me yet another reason to spend more money on my rifles. :)

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    OK. It's a Leo Di Caprio action- drama set in late 90's .

What was distinctive or memorable or clone inspiring about his rifle(s) ?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    And then there's the Black Hawk Down carbine and the Raid on Son Tay XM177 CAR 15...

black hawk down.jpg

Son-Tay-Gun-Photo-1.jpg

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    OK. It's a Leo Di Caprio action- drama set in late 90's .

What was distinctive or memorable or clone inspiring about his rifle(s) ?
    The movie used repurposed Gordon carbines from Blackhawk Down. It was just the type of rifle set up used during that time. I just loved the way it looked and wanted one.
    OBTW - I like that build.
    Thank you.

And then there's the Black Hawk Down carbine and the Raid on Son Tay XM177 CAR 15...

View attachment 458117

View attachment 458119
    I love this. I still need to source a surefire mount like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom