Carroll County Practical Pistol Association.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bmonast

Feb 1, 2011
    Gamber, MD
    Mopar, definitely in but cannot make the 28th, will be out of town doing my annual surf fishing thing. Wife may join us as well with her new G17!

cbrenner

Jan 31, 2011
    Behind the Iron Curtain
    I just saw this thread and I am interested. I can't make the 28th. I already have a prior committment that evening. It if is earlier in the day I should be good.
    Thanks for organizing something like this!

Tactics

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2010
    Happy to be Here
    I just saw this thread and I am interested. I can't make the 28th. I already have a prior committment that evening. It if is earlier in the day I should be good.
    Thanks for organizing something like this!

This guy can shoot. We shot together at Peacemaker. Looking forward to talking XDM's again.

NY Transplant

Wabbit Season/Duck Season
    Apr 2, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Okay here's some baseline rules.

Thinking about 281 so figured I'd make it easier.

You will need a minimum.
    Ear and eye pro (needs to be easily removed for range/safety instruction)
    A holster that retains the weapon even held upside down.
    Three mags and holders for such
    We prefer you bring at most TWO pistols. Your HD and SD weapon. Only got one? Bring it.

HD=Home Defense
    SD=Self Defense (CCW)

What holster would you recommend for a Glock 22 and 23 to meet that criteria? I'll probably need to buy one or two.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Oh, not the dreaded SERPA!

I have a Comp-Tac paddle holster I've used in IDPA and several training classes. It has adequate retention. I also have a Comp-Tac Minotaur for my M&P Compact that should meet the standard, though I wouldn't use it for open carry.

There are lots of good holsters with positive retention, many having multiple levels of retention. Safariland has some that are worth a look. Here's a link with info on retention:

http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/info/retention.aspx

-------------------

Mopar, I am definitely interested in this. I've been looking for this sort of thing for years. I've shot some IDPA at Thurmont, but I just don't have a place to practice practical drills. I have been trying to shoot more pistol recently, and have gotten to a couple shoots at York this summer, but I really want to work on stuff I was introduced to by Pat Goodale: just fundamental stuff, movement, etc.

It sounds like you have real plans to do this right, and I want in on it. But I don't feel right about leaving my wife alone on a Saturday night, so I don't think I can make it on the 28th.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I would be interested in a tactical pistol training course in spring. Just have to remember about this, as I forget everything.

J.T

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    MD
    He keeps saying Taneytown so I'm guessing Mayberry or possibly private land?

trp7

Apr 3, 2009
    I know many board members at Mayberry and Steve B and I run the rifle matches there and we know nothing of this at Mayberry. So I am thinking its private land.

Soundman1

Aug 11, 2013
    Frederick, MD
    Sounds interesting .... Can't make the 28th .. Taking a NRA class.

Going to my first IDPA match tomorrow at Thurmont. Will be there for the safety class at 12 and unfortunately, just a spectator for the match.

Will keep my eye on this thread. Good luck getting it together!

Guderian

Mar 31, 2011
    Blackhawk Serpa.

A lot of training classes and competitions forbid the use of Serpa holsters. Their design can sometimes cause the user to insert their trigger finger into the trigger guard when drawing, causing a negligent discharge. The holsters also lock up with debris, which encourages users to use more finger, increasing the chance of a finger creaping into the trigger.

For retention, I probably would only trust Safariland and Bladetech, which may or may not be realistic for the average civilian.

Also, if you're going to encourage CCW handguns, I'm guessing most CCW holders do not use holsters with retention as the fact that they are concealed is what provides the user protection from a gun grab. Also drawing from concealment is slower, which is another reason I'm guessing most CCW holders do not use a retention holster. I am not a CCW holder so I'm guessing, but I do shoot IDPA, USPSA and what not.

I think what you have in mind is probably cool, but I would be leery of hot guns falling out of holsters if you envision upside down movement or crawling, etc. during a particular stage. What you could do is incorporate awkward movement at the beginning of the stage with handguns loaded, but without one in the pipe, but then the shooter will need to draw and rack the slide before engaging, which maybe isn't what you're going for, but would be safer.

That being said, I'm interested and may make it. I have a carbine match in the morning and a picnic in the afternoon. If I'm not a zombie by the evening and my wife is not like WTF, I will try and attend.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    A lot of training classes and competitions forbid the use of Serpa holsters. Their design can sometimes cause the user to insert their trigger finger into the trigger guard when drawing, causing a negligent discharge. The holsters also lock up with debris, which encourages users to use more finger, increasing the chance of a finger creaping into the trigger.

For retention, I probably would only trust Safariland and Bladetech, which may or may not be realistic for the average civilian.

Also, if you're going to encourage CCW handguns, I'm guessing most CCW holders do not use holsters with retention as the fact that they are concealed is what provides the user protection from a gun grab. Also drawing from concealment is slower, which is another reason I'm guessing most CCW holders do not use a retention holster. I am not a CCW holder so I'm guessing, but I do shoot IDPA, USPSA and what not.

I think what you have in mind is probably cool, but I would be leery of hot guns falling out of holsters if you envision upside down movement or crawling, etc. during a particular stage. What you could do is incorporate awkward movement at the beginning of the stage with handguns loaded, but without one in the pipe, but then the shooter will need to draw and rack the slide before engaging, which maybe isn't what you're going for, but would be safer.

That being said, I'm interested and may make it. I have a carbine match in the morning and a picnic in the afternoon. If I'm not a zombie by the evening and my wife is not like WTF, I will try and attend.

Nothing in the pipe, you're catching on...........safety, safety, safety.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Not sure if it matters, but that weekend is Fallfest. Might not be the best night for a meet up, especially for parking.

Oooohhhhhh, now THAT'S a bunch of crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:sad20: Perhaps Mopar should do a reschedule for 10/05 or 10/12. Hey Mopar, you see that??? I truly think it would be best to reschedule.

madmattmd

Aug 17, 2006
    The Frozen North
    I’m Vice President at Mayberry. Most there know that I’m an action pistol shooter (when time allowed). I haven’t heard anything about this, and nothing has come before the Board, so I presume this will be on someone’s private land and not at MGPA.

I don’t think that I will be able to make a meet on the 28th. We have an NRA Basic Pistol course and that’s going to be a very long day.

BTW, this sounds a lot like IDPA? Will this be just some shooters setting up something on an informal basis or will it be under the guidelines of a recognized organization? My main concern, as always, would be safety and supervision.

Finally, as noted by someone above, Fall Fest is that weekend so Westminster will be a zoo.

Matt G

J.T

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    MD
    For the record I mentioned Mayberry only based on the location the OP stated. It seems that is not the case

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom