• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CorpsmanUp

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 19, 2010
    St Mary's County
    I'm looking at getting a rail system for my Stag 8L, but have a few questions.

I know there are different types you can get. Free float and drop in.

With the drop in type is it secure? What I mean by that is - is there any play when grabbing the rail?

With the free float. Does it remove the play that is sometimes present with the plastic hand guards that usually come with complete rifles?

I'm thinking of getting a drop in type, but hate when there's play while handling the weapon.

I would get the free float type, but I'm not comfortable with taking a dremel tool to the ring. Blame it on OCD.

Thanks.

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    I'm looking at getting a rail system for my Stag 8L, but have a few questions.

I know there are different types you can get. Free float and drop in.

With the drop in type is it secure? What I mean by that is - is there any play when grabbing the rail?

With the free float. Does it remove the play that is sometimes present with the plastic hand guards that usually come with complete rifles?

I'm thinking of getting a drop in type, but hate when there's play while handling the weapon.

I would get the free float type, but I'm not comfortable with taking a dremel tool to the ring. Blame it on OCD.

Thanks.

Some drop-ins can lock up with set screws to keep from rattling around. I have the Troy drop-in and it is as solid as the troy free float.

I think Surefire and KAC(?) have similar solid mounting.

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    That seems to be exactly what I was looking for.

I take it the screws are what makes it more secure than the ones that slid into the ring, correct?

A little pricey for the piston version! BOOM.

4 screws hold the top & bottom together, then it has 4 tension screws that tighten up against the barrel nut to tighten it up.

As for price, look at Rainier Arms or Adco Firearms. They have the best prices.

How is the Troy drop-in secured?

Does it use screws to hold it into place like the DD Omega?

Compare the weight and thichness of the two rails. I think you'll find the DD is as close to standard M4 handguards.

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    How is the Troy drop-in secured?

Does it use screws to hold it into place like the DD Omega?

Four screws hold the top and bottom together. The rail is pretty tight-fitting against the snap ring. I can't get any front-back wobble. In comparison, my drop-in YHM from years back could be torqued off using the VFG.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom