Car Camping with Young Kids (4-5 year olds)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Silence&Rage

Feb 20, 2013
    MoCo
    Some friends and I are planning a first car camping trip with our boys. They're all 4-5 years old. Do you all have any recommended DNR parks within a reasonable drive of MoCo?

I'm looking at Cunningham Falls or Greenbriar State parks. We want to do a bit of hiking, canoeing, fishing. Is either better or should I look at something different?

Devonian

Ultimate Member
    Apr 15, 2008
    Check out Ft. Fredrick. I camped there a few times when I was a kid. Good fishing right from camp on the potomac. There is also hiking and the Fort to check out and I think you can rent canoes on the lake there.

Flametamer

MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2014
    Frederick County
    I agree with Ft. Frederick, especially for the age group listed. Cunningham Falls and Catoctin Mtn. parks have great trails, but they are probably too rugged and steep for youngsters on their first 'big' adventure. Ft. Frederick has the towpath, easy access to the river, in addition to the fort. Young boys love it!

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    At Cunningham Falls walking to the falls is no problem. Climbing up on the rocks to get to the top of the falls may be a little much for 4 & 5 year olds. I took my 8 year old last fall and he did fine. If my wife was with us though, she probably would've freaked out a little.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    At Cunningham Falls walking to the falls is no problem. Climbing up on the rocks to get to the top of the falls may be a little much for 4 & 5 year olds. I took my 8 year old last fall and he did fine. If my wife was with us though, she probably would've freaked out a little.

:thumbsup: Agreed...Cunningham Falls from the Lake is a 1/2 mile or slightly longer hike (each way), but you can take the lower trail and it's pretty easy. My kids were easily doing it at those ages. There's a longer more aggressive trail from the Ranger station or you can hike the upper trail along the rock outcroppings from the lake to the falls which is a bit longer than the lower trail, but shorter than the ranger station hike.

If you don't do Cunningham Falls State Park, check out Owens Creek Campground (Catoctin - nearby). Also, It's been many years since I've stayed there, but Crows Nest used to be a decent private campground. There is a fishing pond (fed by streams) right on the property there

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    actually I did that a few weeks ago :D

overflow camping at the rv park
    tent between a car and motor home

Lol, the only camping I ever did as a kid was in a 40' motor home. Now that I have kids and can't afford a motor home, I've had to rough it two times in a tent andmost recently in a crude cabin.

Clark W. Griswold

Oct 5, 2009
    What exactly is car camping? You drive to the grounds and sleep next to the car? I have never heard this term before......

It's camping where you drive to the camp site. As opposed to back pack camping or back country camping where you hike or ride a horse to your camp site.

You should also look at Washington Monument State Park. We camped in the group sites with the scouts a couple years ago and really liked it. It's a short hike to the monument.

Mr H

Banana'd
    It's camping where you drive to the camp site. As opposed to back pack camping or back country camping where you hike or ride a horse to your camp site.

You should also look at Washington Monument State Park. We camped in the group sites with the scouts a couple years ago and really liked it. It's a short hike to the monument.

This is always a great option, IMO...

It's also right on the Appalachian Trail, so a half-day out and back is a possibility too.

But with the ages mentioned in the OP, Ft. Frederick may be a slightly better option. Plus, if the Suns are in town, you can also catch a ballgame ;)

Silence&Rage

Feb 20, 2013
    MoCo
    Thanks for all the feedback guys - we went ahead and reserved at Cunningham Falls. We're just doing a 1-night trial. If it doesn't work out - I'll check out the others for next time.

mancheechee

Daily Trigger
    Jul 22, 2010
    Frederick
    RockyGap is nice as well. Just avoid the holiday weekends...seriously avoid it. Ive invited first time campers and they were impressed with the facilities and amenities.

Its slightly cooler than cunningham in the warmer months. If you do decide to go when its warm, go up to deep creek or similar elevated parks. When it get around 90...its not fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom