• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zmayhem

Feb 2, 2012
    My roommate's car was broken into last night. I went to bed at 2am and checked out front before I did while letting the dogs out, everything was fine. The car broken into was on the street in front of my house, not in my driveway where it usually is. Sometime between 2-7 am, somebody either gained access to the vehicle because it was unlocked or because they broke into it without breaking a window. They went through the console, glove box and door pockets, throwing things on the floor as they went through it all. They also ripped the "ash tray" out of the center console and took the entire thing and the $6-$10 in change and bills that was in it...that and some $450 sunglasses are all we believe is missing.

I know if I had happened to hear the person or looked outside for some reason, I would have grabbed the Glock and flashlight that sits on the night stand and ran out to confront the individual or individuals who had broken into the vehicle. I have read before that legally you cannot detain anybody against their will or point a weapon at them unless you feel your life was in danger. Suppose I go out there and tell the person or persons to get out of the vehicle and lay on the ground, I am armed and don't want them to make any sudden movements that may make me feel threatened. While this is going on, my roommate calls police. What repercussions could I face if any if this is exactly what I did? Is there something I should say/do to reduce the risk of anything coming back on me? (Besides just sitting in the house and calling police, because if somebody breaks into my home or is trespassing on my property and trying to steal from me and I see it I would definitely confront them.)

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    you may be charge for firearm violation if you step out of your property (house or land) or assault (no brandising law in MD from my understanding). better have a good lawyer if you do what you said you want to do.

in the house totally different scenario all together. if you feel that your life is threatened, yes you can use your firearm to protect yourself.

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    In MD I have no doubt you would be arrested, maybe not but i wouldn't try it. Remember, criminals have more rights than you do.

HarCo2ANewb

Subibro
    Mar 24, 2011
    Elkridge
    The basics of what I have heard about Maryland:

You leave all your rights at the door. You can carry on your property but defending yourself if attacked while outside is dicey at best.

Or just SSS.

vector03

Frustrated Incorporated
    Jan 7, 2009
    Columbia
    Frankly, I wonder if anything at all would happen to you.

If the thief runs rather than obey your commands, will you fire as they flee? If not, do you really think he's going to run to file a complaint about the guy he was robbing?

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    That will teach the owner of the vehicle to leave his doors locked, and not keep expensive items in there.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland

If the thief runs rather than obey your commands, will you fire as they flee? If not, do you really think he's going to run to file a complaint about the guy he was robbing?

crazy world we live in.. dont be too surprise if it actually happens.

zmayhem

Feb 2, 2012
    Yeah I was thinking about that this morning as I questioned what I would do. If they took off obviously i'm not going to shoot them in the back. I wouldn't want to really shoot them anyway, but going out to somebody breaking into your vehicle at 3 or 4 am, there's no telling if they have a gun or what's going on. I would prefer to at least have a weapon on me instead of confronting them with a flashlight and being shot. Also, if a scuffle ensued before police arrived, I would hope that I could say something along the lines of "I came out to them breaking into a vehicle on my property, I confronted them and was attacked, I fought back and held them down for my safety." Who are they going to believe, the guy who was sleeping in his home minding his own business or the piece of shit who was breaking into somebody's car, vandalizing the vehicle and stealing things from it?

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    Who are they going to believe, the guy who was sleeping in his home minding his own business or the piece of shit who was breaking into somebody's car, vandalizing the vehicle and stealing things from it?

This is Maryland, only criminals have rights. So, they will believe the P.O.S.

tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.
    20 years ago, cat burgler breaks into house in PG county I think. While climbing up downspout, downspout breaks free and he falls breaking his back in 3 places. Sues homeowner. I honestly don't remember if he won or if the judge and/or jury had sense enough to throw it out of court.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.

Definitely. Not only file a complaint, but then sue them for everything they own or ever hope to own.

To the OP: outside your home you could be charged with brandishing a firearm.

oupa

Apr 6, 2011
    #1 - Open window.
    #2 - Fire three into your front yard.
    #3 - close window.
    #4 - Crook is likely to flee swiftly and not come back.
    #5 - After sun-up, clean excrement from interior of automobile.

NOTE: if following above advise (and I DO NOT recommend you do) ditch the Glock and use a revolver. In the event a neighbor calls it in, fired cases under your window can be somewhat incriminating.:innocent0

zmayhem

Feb 2, 2012
    #1 - Open window.
    #2 - Fire three into your front yard.
    #3 - close window.
    #4 - Crook is likely to flee swiftly and not come back.
    #5 - After sun-up, clean excrement from interior of automobile.

NOTE: if following above advise (and I DO NOT recommend you do) ditch the Glock and use a revolver. In the event a neighbor calls it in, fired cases under your window can be somewhat incriminating.:innocent0

hahaha luckily I am close to Baltimore, so I could probably get a used revolver for a few packs of Newports!

powderhunter

May 29, 2011
    Germantown, MD
    My car was broken into last Thursday for the second time in four months & what makes it worst this time is that the crooks stole all my music CDs which one of them contains all my firearms information. I’m just hoping they throw it away without realizing what it is. Meantime, I put up a alarm system & finally after 30 years of owning firearms, have a loaded pistol ready in the cabinet, just in case if the thugs ever want to try their luck inside the house.

It sure is a bad feeling all around ! Fortunately, we are planning to move to a single family house in February & looking around either Clarksburg or Mt. Airy.

As for the question of dealing with the matter of thugs in the act of breaking & entering into my car, the best thing would be to scare them away instead of confronting them with a deadly force. I just don’t see the police being receptive on my side of the defense if I were to shoot a potentially unarmed thug outside my house, even if it was during the act of breaking & entering into my vehicle..

cowboy321

Apr 21, 2009
    Basically once you decide to protect personal property with brandishing a firearm , especially outside of your home, you can get arrested. This is generally true in other states as well. You definately cannot shoot someone breaking into your car. Different once he steps in your house and you feel he is armed, but you better hope he is if you shoot him.

zmayhem

Feb 2, 2012
    Maybe it came off wrong. I wouldn't come out with the gun looking to shoot anybody. However at that time and not knowing how many people are involved and what weapons they may have i would definitely want to be prepared for the worst. Im assuming it was probably a junkie looking for money or things to pawn. In that case, i would have "fought back when they attacked me" until police arrived and never pulled the gun.

smokedog

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2009
    Frederick Md
    "Hello 911, someone's breaking into my car and I think one of them has a gun please send someone quick"
    Sit back and wait for the police. There is really no sense in putting yourself in harms way over something insurance can replace.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom