Can't pull the trigger on scope purchase..

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • matt_b89

Apr 5, 2011
    Allegany County/Frostburg
    if I do go red dot i want something with a small dot. I don't want to lose precision shooting capability if I go the red dot route. 2 moa dot would be nice and i think the primary arms m4 has that

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    if I do go red dot i want something with a small dot. I don't want to lose precision shooting capability if I go the red dot route. 2 moa dot would be nice and i think the primary arms m4 has that

That's a mistake, and I will tell you why... Precision has NOTHING to do with the size of the dot! The SIG and the AIMPOINT Micro R1 have the same 4 MOA dot.

Think about this, with iron sights, what is the MOA of the post on an AR-15?

It is approximately 6-8 MOA wide. Yet, competition shooters consistently shoot far less than 6 MOA, but how and why?

Because you are NOT covering the target with the dot, you are placing the dot DIRECTLY below what you intend to hit. This allows you to place your shot precisely centered directly above the red dot. Your eye can center that 4 MOA dot (which is far easier to pick up than a 2 MOA dot) and you can place your shot VERY accurately if the top of the dot is touching where you want to hit.

I might add that even the Trijicon ACOG has a 4 MOA to 7 MOA dots and Arrows. Certainly the ACOG is capable of making precision hits.

Mark

matt_b89

Apr 5, 2011
    thats interesting to know. I've never used red dots and thought differently of them. I'm a very capable iron sight shooter and I sometimes have trouble finding targets(ie rabbits squirrels, small varmints) in trees or thick brush because I can't tell the difference so I really think I'm going red dot.

matt_b89

Apr 5, 2011
    not gonna buy an ncstar. i'm considering a primary arms m4 with a magnifier, a millet dms1 although I've heard very mixed reviews, and maybe some type of vortex scope. still open to suggestions as I haven't purchased anything yet

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    not gonna buy an ncstar. i'm considering a primary arms m4 with a magnifier, a millet dms1 although I've heard very mixed reviews, and maybe some type of vortex scope. still open to suggestions as I haven't purchased anything yet

On the Primary Arms M4, their site states: "Please note that there is a few degrees of cant inherent in the rotating drum design that produces the multi reticles. It is noticeable with the cross hair."

Don't know if that's acceptable to you.

Mark

stever

Jan 7, 2009
    harford county

I have both the m4 clone w/magnifier and a millet dms1. The service I received from primary arms was extraordinary. I received a "shipped" email one hour after ordering and tracking info 2.5 hrs after ordering. Received the shipment in two days from Texas. I have the red dot mounted on a dedicated 22lr upper. I upgraded to the quick release mount for the 3x magnifier. I searched a good bit before buying and found positive reviews from probably 99% of their customers. The glass on the mag is clear with no fish eye (typical on Ncstar optics). During my research, I found a lot of reviews of them mounted on 5.56 AR's. Granted these people don't use them for SHTF rifles.

I have the dms1/larue spr-e mounted on a 16" AR. I like it more after changing my zero. It is heavy in that combination. I think you would be happy with the primary setup. PM me if you want to discuss further.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Comotion357

Latest threads

Top Bottom