Can't buy long guns out-of-state anymore?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RugerFan

Jul 18, 2013
    Silver Spring
    While on a business trip to Charlottesville, I finally found a Walmart with the 12g Mossberg 500 Flex I've been looking for, in stock.

Told 'em I'd take it; but halfway through the paperwork the clerk says, "Oh, wait, you're from Maryland...the computer says I can't sell it to you!"

I say, "It's an unregulated long gun...of course you can. You just can't sell me anything regulated...like AR's."

She replies, "The computer says I can't sell you anything anymore."

She was very polite but wouldn't budge, and neither would the manager we both referred to.

Is this really the case?

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I heard the same bullschit from someone here who recently tried to buy a rimfire from X-Ring (Newark, DE).

This is going to seriously piss me off, I buy my .22 rifles exclusively in Delaware.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    If the 'real' gun shops can't keep track of Marylands' laws, why would you expect WM to know the laws? It's gonna be a rough ride here in Md...

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    I got the same spiel in a gander mountain in Alabama. Basically, in your best Seinfeld soup nazi voice, no gun for you.

Aldwyn

Not All That Bad, Really.
    Dec 20, 2012
    Columbia, Md
    I guess no one outside of Maryland wants to keep a list of what is legal here and what isnt... so they just stop selling to us all together. :(

GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones
    Living in MD is like living in a foreign country ... a "communist" foreign country.:sad20:

Placed a PSA order last week. I'm bracing myself for the bad news ...

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    It's an over reaction, but as stated above the laws are pretty screwy and its easiest for them to stop selling than keep track of whats legal and what isnt.

Legally they're allowed to sell to you, but they're not obligated to.

freddie

Mar 20, 2013
    You can buy long guns out of state - just depends on FFL. Chain stores are problematic .

I would bet at any of our out of state IPs - no problem.

I plan to buy a long gun during my xmas trip to Kentucky, and bring it back via airline - I've called ahead (kygunco) - not a problem.

TheMaskedRabbit

Oct 26, 2011
    Salisbury
    So is this a Walmart over-reaction or is there a legal basis...anyone know for sure?

Over the summer, my buddy and I made friends with the ammo guy at the Lexington VA Walmart. He showed us the map of which states he was allowed to sell guns to, and Maryland was one of a great many. He said the gun sales policy varied from state to state and even Walmart to Walmart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    alfontso

Latest threads

Top Bottom