• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Diesel Kinevel

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Frederick, MD
    A buddy and I bought a canoe recently and now that its getting to be fishing weather we are planning trips. My question is, Are there any regs pertaining to using a canoe other than having a PFD for each person on board? I checked the DNR website but I could not find anything specific.

Thanks,

Zach

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    yeah, on the required equipment checklist it only says boat less than 16 ft. but, another part of that pdf makes me think that a canoe or kayak aren't in that category b/c they aren't motor driven.

-Z

You're correct. You do not have to have a signalling device
    The following are not required to carry day signals but must carry night signals when
    operating from sunset to sunrise:
    1. Recreational boats less than 16 feet in length.
    2. Boats participating in organized events such as races, regattas, or marine parades.
    3. Open sailboats less than 26 feet in length not equipped with propulsion machinery.
    4. Manually propelled boats

or a fire extinguisher.
    You do need a whistle,
    and since you are under 7meters you would need a flashlight if you were out in the dark as a navigation light. (all you need for that boat)
    That should cover everything you need.
    plus a flotation throwing device.

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    This is ridiculous. You need a PFD for each, plus some extra water, some snacks.
    Plus a boatload of common sense.
    If you paddle on rivers or the canal the Coast Guard will not be checking you - but DNR might. I have never, ever been checked on my 100's of hours canoing the Potomac, canal, Shenandoah, Monocacy, etc.

Tactics

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2010
    Happy to be Here
    I love to take the canoe out, but just like everything else they want you to pay a fee. Around me it's like 60 bucks for a year.
    On the other hand... I never got the permit, and never have a problem.

Go while its still a little chilly and you won't need a cooler, just a little string to tow them bad boys. :beer:

Diesel Kinevel

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Frederick, MD
    Ok thats what I was figuring for a canoe. A boating license is not required correct? It is my understanding that anything with out a motor you need neither a boating license or numbers on the vessel.

-Z

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    Probably: Joe = someone you know who will come looking when you dont come home. Except Joe was shorter and rhymed with low, slow, blow...

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Ok thats what I was figuring for a canoe. A boating license is not required correct? It is my understanding that anything with out a motor you need neither a boating license or numbers on the vessel.

-Z

no you dont need license for the boat.. but know atleast some rules on the water and have fun! just avoid waters where there are high traffic of motor boats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom