• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    I finally got my Cannon safe delivered from Costco this morning. I bought it for $539 delivered and it was exactly what I needed to replace my old gun cabinet. I set it up in my "gun/cleaning room" in my basement. I used motion sensor lighting and so far, the lighting works great. I also put in a dehumidifier rod which is installed at the bottom of the safe. The safe weighs 360lbs and has a 4″ composite door with 4 1″ active bolts that are 4″ long. The Warranty and price are what sold me on this specific model. Here is a summary of it:
    "HASSLE-FREE, NO COST REPAIR OR REPLACEMENT OF THE SAFE AFTER A NATURAL FLOOD, ATTEMPTED BREAK-IN, BREAK-IN OR FIRE DISASTER. We are the only safe company to offer: FREE Parts • FREE Labor • FREE Freight for the repair or replacement of your safe, for the LIFETIME OF THE SAFE"

However having said all of that, I expected to have a lot more room for a "24 gun" safe. I only have 7 long guns and 7 handguns. Even after putting the handguns on the door, it seems like there isn't much room for my 7 long guns. How anyone could fit 24 guns in this thing is beyond me. I was hoping to fit at least 4 or 5 ammo cans in there but that is now out of the question. Don't get me wrong, this safe meets my current needs and any future purchases are going to be handguns. However, I feel like the "24 gun" description is misleading. My question to you is: I am not making the most out of the space. Here is a picture of the interior. I have 3 extra shelves and a divider (which I had to remove). Based on the pic, what else can I do to maximize my space? Thank you and let me know if you have any questions.

DSC_0001-Copy_zps58f0e4c7.jpg

DSC_0011_zps435cf06b.jpg

Here is another configuration. Fits all long guns on one side (harder to get them out) but still cannot fit any ammo cans on the right side.

3D77D6BE-412B-487C-BF39-E782C031A305-1197-0000006954572AF6_zpsb512f80a.jpg

RipkinC

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2007
    Free America
    What lights do you have in it?
    Looks nice for the price, I really want a Johnson but $$$$ and currently a massive backlog make this look interesting

Trogdor

Nov 13, 2011
    What do the pros say about its security though ?

I am not a security pro. It would stop a smash and grab without tools. But at that weight and that cost the likelihood of someone getting in there with a few pry bars and a little time is probably pretty high. Obviously it is better than a cabinet. If I was you, I would keep saving for a better safe. You could even sell that one for close to your purchase price when you are ready for an upgrade. You have thousands of dollars worth of guns and if like most of us will hopefully keep buying more. You will have other valuables you will probably put in there and the safe is now the main target in your home. Your safe needs to be an investment.

Omnipotent

Semper Fi
    Jan 10, 2013
    MoCo
    Detach magazines, will free up some space. Scopes also delete space though you won't be removing those. Problem is I think they base the number of guns on bolt action rifles or shotguns.

Anyway very nice and now to see if my Costco carries them.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    Your best bet would be to remove the lower shelving and use rifle rods. In short they go in the barrel of the rifle/shotgun and then hold them straight up.

Thanks. I will look into the rods.

That's a great price...is that their normal price?

No, it's a sale price. These safes go on sale about once a quarter.

May I ask how you got that thing into your basement? Did costco deliver to the door or your basement?

Costco says "curb delivery" only. When the guy got there, I asked him if he could help me get it on my dolly so I could take it in. He said, "let's just keep it on mine and I'll give you a hand, just don't tell anyone...we're not supposed to do it" I got lucky and ended up tipping the guy.

What lights do you have in it?
    Looks nice for the price, I really want a Johnson but $$$$ and currently a massive backlog make this look interesting

These lights. They work really well.

http://www.amazon.com/Megabrite-Wireless-Motion-Sensor-Undercabinet/dp/B0079M7ASM

I am not a security pro. It would stop a smash and grab without tools. But at that weight and that cost the likelihood of someone getting in there with a few pry bars and a little time is probably pretty high. Obviously it is better than a cabinet. If I was you, I would keep saving for a better safe. You could even sell that one for close to your purchase price when you are ready for an upgrade. You have thousands of dollars worth of guns and if like most of us will hopefully keep buying more. You will have other valuables you will probably put in there and the safe is now the main target in your home. Your safe needs to be an investment.

I am very well aware that this is not the best safe. My goal was to keep my kids' friends and the small crook from getting in. I realize that this is not a top notch safe but for now, it will do. It's better than anything I've had in the past. Combine that with my alarm system and my 2 dogs, I hope to be ok for the time being.

Detach magazines, will free up some space. Scopes also delete space though you won't be removing those. Problem is I think they base the number of guns on bolt action rifles or shotguns.

Anyway very nice and now to see if my Costco carries them.

Thanks for the info. When Costco puts these on sale, they will list them online only. I haven't seen one in the store yet.

Mike H

Jan 9, 2013
    rouchna -- I agree with everything you said. My Costco was delivered last week. My wife tipped the guy to deliver it into the garage and a few days later a BiL and I moved it up a couple of steps into the family room.
    It isn't a top of the line safe but again, between the 3 dogs (including a nut job St. Bernard mix) and other measures -- it should more than do the job of keeping the grandson and others out of trouble.
    I'm still trying to figure out how to configure the inside. It did seem a bit smaller than I expected -- but so far it only needs to hold a few firearms. I'm a bit more concerned about how much weight the plastic shelf holders can handle with all the ammo I have on the top shelf.
    I feel that for 5-something delivered it is a great deal.
    I don't think there is any concern that Costco is going anti 2A. Their website still shows a wide selection of gun safes. they are just listed under different headings.

G20

Feb 18, 2013
    Your next order of business should be to bolt that safe down to the floor.

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    Your next order of business should be to bolt that safe down to the floor.
    While I agree 100%, a 4" angle grinder will make short work of that bolt, the safe, you name it.
    I think a false wall hiding the safe is the way to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom