• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Quick recap. I cleaned all factory lube, relubed with Super Lube with PTFE, racked the slide 100 times, dry fired 25 times with a snap cap, and repeated two more times. I took it to the range with three boxes of Speer Lawman 124gr and shot 150/150, no failures.
    Tonight, after cleaning and lubing, I shot a fourth box of Speer Lawman 124gr and then a box of Blazer Brass 115gr. No failures. It is broken in with no failures in 250 rounds.
    I added a Vortex Viper sight for this evening's range session. The stock front sight is visible with the red dot set to its physical lower limit. It works, but I'm not pleased with the speed of target acquisition. I'll be adding an Ameriglo M&P tritium suppressor height site in a few days. I'll report back after that.
    The bottom line is that, unlike some reports, the TP9SFx has zero jamming problems with normal velocity range ammo when a bit of diligence is applied during the break in period.
    b19891275d88179172e459c217f415ce.jpg

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Why add a higher front sight? Can you not see the sight if you aren't using the dot?

Maybe 1/8" of the front sight shows up without the dot. Basically, just the light pipe. It's right at the bottom of the glass. I want it a bit higher so I can see more of the target and the sight.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Maybe 1/8" of the front sight shows up without the dot. Basically, just the light pipe. It's right at the bottom of the glass. I want it a bit higher so I can see more of the target and the sight.

So it shows up with the dot? :)
    I am confused. What does the dot have anything to do with the front sight post?

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    So it shows up with the dot? :)

I am confused. What does the dot have anything to do with the front sight post?

Co-witnessing. Batteries wear out and electronics fail. I need to be able to see enough of the front sight post to be able to shoot the gun with a non-functioning optic.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Co-witnessing. Batteries wear out and electronics fail. I need to be able to see enough of the front sight post to be able to shoot the gun with a non-functioning optic.
    That's where I was confused. The dot means nothing. You just need a front sight tall enough to rise above the bottom of the "window frame".
    I hope you're not trying to have the lighted, visible dot line up with the front sight in order to aim? That's totally ridiculous and takes away from the purpose of having a red dot.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    That's where I was confused. The dot means nothing. You just need a front sight tall enough to rise above the bottom of the "window frame".
    I hope you're not trying to have the lighted, visible dot line up with the front sight in order to aim? That's totally ridiculous and takes away from the purpose of having a red dot.

I know that from my AR pistol (my first firearm with a reflex sight). The dot obliterates the front sight. That's why my AR backup sites stay down unless I'm shooting without the sight turned on. I just want the same sight picture whether or not the reflex is working.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Wouldn't you need a suppressor height red dot sight too. The dot is going to be where you want it to shoot. You need to sight it in first. I've never liked red dots on pistols anyway.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Wouldn't you need a suppressor height red dot sight too. The dot is going to be where you want it to shoot. You need to sight it in first. I've never liked red dots on pistols anyway.

The red dot is already at suppressor height. The only reason I can see the non-suppressor front sight is the stock sights from Canik are fairly tall to begin with. With the dot all the way at the bottom of the glass, I have to adjust my hold position slightly higher than I normally hold at. I like to have the same hold point for all my guns.

campns

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2013
    Germantown, MD
    That's just a fact of life. We share information about our toys, like-minded people see our toys, then they lust after them.

now I'm wondering if I can do a mount for my P250 22lr, I know I can do it for my P320 ....

On another note I was playing around with my buddies Canik and I was pleasantly surprised that has a lot of features for the price point. I now have to make up my mind if I want an Arex next or a Canik

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Where do you shoot? I'll be at FreeState a few times next week. You can try mine.

One nice thing about the Canik TP9SFx is it comes with four base plates that allow for a bunch of popular sights to be mounted without having to buy a base plate from the sight manufacturer. The base price of the TP9SFx is almost $100 less than the Arex Rex Zero 1.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    The red dot is already at suppressor height. The only reason I can see the non-suppressor front sight is the stock sights from Canik are fairly tall to begin with. With the dot all the way at the bottom of the glass, I have to adjust my hold position slightly higher than I normally hold at. I like to have the same hold point for all my guns.
    You do know the dot isn't meant to be "held" in aim, right? Is not meant to be shot for markanship accuracy. It's just the same when people try and hold and aim a laser.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    You do know the dot isn't meant to be "held" in aim, right? Is not meant to be shot for markanship accuracy. It's just the same when people try and hold and aim a laser.

Yup. For me, this is a defensive pistol. The dot gets me in the general vicinity so I can shoot a quick three round group out to 15 yards. Both of my carry guns have lasers. My objective with those is to be able to quickly put shots in the eight ring or better between five and ten yards.

campns

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2013
    Germantown, MD
    Where do you shoot? I'll be at FreeState a few times next week. You can try mine.

One nice thing about the Canik TP9SFx is it comes with four base plates that allow for a bunch of popular sights to be mounted without having to buy a base plate from the sight manufacturer. The base price of the TP9SFx is almost $100 less than the Arex Rex Zero 1.

I usually go to the NRA Range, but when I have time I could meet up with you.

See the rear sight of the P250 is funky I have to research it more, but for the 320 it should be a quick and painless install.

as for the Arex Zero I like the ability to teach using a decocker.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Thanks for the update. You know you’ll need a rear sight taller by the same amount as the new front sight, assuming the open sights are properly regulated.

The rear sight on the TP9SFx is mounted to the base plate that is removed when you add the plate for a reflex sight, so it isn't a true co-witness. What I'm planning on doing is adding two white marks to the outer rim of the reflex site to make the equivalent of a three dot sight so I can have a true set of backup sights. I'll do that after I dial in the red dot setting with the new front sight post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom