• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • denimdan85

Aug 12, 2014
    Hanover, PA
    I picked up a MecGar M9 18rd magazine at Gettysburg gun show this afternoon. I wanted to see what kind of compatibility it shared with the TP9's magazines. I had read that the M9 mags worked in the TP9 if you cut a new notch for the mag release but there was no real proof in pictures so I decided to share my findings with you all.

Here you can see the mags side by side. You can see that the magazine bodies are identical dimensions.

Here are just the magazine bodies. Obviously the cut outs for the mag catch are in different places and I will need to dremel a new notch in the correct place:

Next are are the followers, springs and base plates. The followers are identical as are the springs however the M9 mags have 1 extra coil compared to the TP9 mags but this does not seem to cause a problem. The last round hold open are the same as well. The base plates are obviously different and am trying to source them from Century:

Here is the M9 magazine with the TP9 base plate:

Here is the M9 magazine inserted in the gun with both its original base plate and the one from the TP9:

As you can see they work together perfectly. I was able to run one mag through the gun today but since I have not created the new notch (no discs for the dremel) I had to hold the mag in with my left hand. However it functioned perfect and held the slide back on the last round.

The whole reason I did this was because I have been unable to source the mags so I figured I would get creative. Hope this helps some of you in the same situation.

ruffrocca

KingWayneTheGreat
    Mar 29, 2015
    Baltimore, MD
    Canik looks good. I tried the same thing with my hi-point rifle and a 1911 mag. I have yet to actually shoot it using the mag. I'm kinda scared. As of now you're the first I've seen post on here with a Canik besides the fact that I haven't done a search on here about it. I myself have a Glock 17. In comparison how is the trigger and accuracy? I thought about buying a Canik but I really wanted to put my hands on one before I pulled the trigger... haha get it, pull the... never-mind. They definitely come at a great price point.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    Does Walther manufacturer the Canik polymer frame? It looks a lot like a PPQ, P99, S&W99, Desert Eagle Fast Action... Etc

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    I just read up on it. It suspiciously has the same de cocker button in the same location as the former Smith & Wesson SW99.

Looks okay, but for the price difference I would probably just buy a Walther.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom