Can you purchase a handgun before obtaining a permit?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pflip

Jul 29, 2013

So, this may sound idiotic to some people who may come across my noobie questions, but this is something I've read either on another forum or on online firearm dealer sites:

1) Being an absolute fresh fish regarding buying a handgun (a particular 9mm I'm looking at), multiple sites stated that before one can obtain a permit, you ironically need to first purchase the handgun that you want. Is this true?

2) Can I purchase a gun either through a retail store or online (although some dealer sites state that they cannot ship to MD) without a permit?

3) Having done a decent amount of research, I'm looking to buy the CZ 75 SP-01 Phantom 9mm. Is this handgun illegal in MD? I read this on 1 dealer site.

4) If I'm actually able to buy this handgun retail and without a permit (which I doubt), and I live in Reisterstown, are their particular stores or sites you guys recommend? Also, I only found 1 site where they actually had it in stock, FYI.

Thanks in advance for your much more veteran insight!
    P

MattFive

Nov 10, 2012
    Gambrills, MD
    [SIZE. 3"][/SIZhttp://www.mdshooters.com/forumdisplay.php?f=106ttp://www.mdshooters.com/forumdisplay.php?f=106]
    So, this may sound idiotic to some people who may come across my noobie questions, but this is something I've read either on another forum or on online firearm dealer sites:

1) Being an absolute fresh fish regarding buying a handgun (a particular 9mm I'm looking at), multiple sites stated that before one can obtain a permit, you ironically need to first purchase the handgun that you want. Is this true?

2) Can I purchase a gun either through a retail store or online (although some dealer sites state that they cannot ship to MD) without a permit?

3) Having done a decent amount of research, I'm looking to buy the CZ 75 SP-01 Phantom 9mm. Is this handgun illegal in MD? I read this on 1 dealer site.

4) If I'm actually able to buy this handgun retail and without a permit (which I doubt), and I live in Reisterstown, are their particular stores or sites you guys recommend? Also, I only found 1 site where they actually had it in stock, FYI.

Thanks in advance for your much more veteran insight!
    P

1. Not sure what type of permit you're referring to but currently you do not need a permit to purchase a firearm in MD. As of 1 Oct 2013, you will be required to have a Handgun Qualification License but the process to get this license is still wholly unclear. If you're referring to a Concealed Carry permit, unless you have a good and substantial reason to conceal carry, you won't be receiving that in MD. You can take the training and apply for other states' concealed carry permits but again, not sure if that's what you're referring to.

2. You, as a good-standing citizen, can walk-in to a Federal Firearms Licensed (FFL) dealer's store tomorrow to buy a handgun. You would then have to wait 7 days to pick up the handgun, according to Maryland law. However, these days the 7-day wait has become more like 120 days. The same applies to purchasing a firearm online. The firearm would have to be shipped to the FFL of yoir choice so you could complete the paperwork and background check.

3. MSP has a handgun roster to which you can refer to to check if the handgun is legal. However, the site is currently down. That particular firearm is legal in MD. A quick search in the forums indicate this.

4. See Answer #2. Also, here: http://www.mdshooters.com/forumdisplay.php?f=106
    You can find the threads of many FFLs who may be able to help find what you're looking for.

Welcome to the Forum and don't feel bad about asking questions. There is a wealth of information available to those who seek it.

Gbh

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    You must be 21, pass a background check, and take a quick course in gun safety (prior military exempt).

Here's the link to the Maryland online safety course. You watch and click through it on your PC and print out the form that has a number on it. That number is required when you do your Maryland paperwork at the gun dealer.

http://www.mdgunsafety.com/

aireyc

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Why does everyone think you need a permit for guns. Ya always hear some idiot say "ya got a permit for that".

I hear it ALL THE TIME. And when you tell them you don't need a permit/license, they are always like "that's outrageous!"

pflip

Jul 29, 2013
    Yo, thanks guys for your insight!

MattFive! Very thorough! I like it! Thanks very much!

So GBH - I would have to go through the safety course before picking up the handgun (that is, if I can find it.)?
    Also, let me know if this is right: The background check is also something I need to get, and am I right when I say that I need to pay for this form and service to do the check? I'm good with being over 21. I pass that with flying colors;).

I apologize if I haven't taken the time to research the answers to these questions myself. I skimmed through the criteria for getting a handgun permit and the application. I essentially want to move on this quickly. I'm pretty stoked about purchasing my first firearm.

One more thing: Would anybody know the best places locally in MD to find the CZ 75 SP-01 Phantom? I'd rather not have it shipped when I've never even held it before.

Thanks once again, kids!
    Paul

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    You do not need any sort of "permit" to own a handgun in Maryland, or most other states for that matter.

As of now, you don't need any sort of "permit" to buy one, but after October 1, we all will need a "Handgun Qualification License" to purchase (but NOT to own or possess). This new HQL is deiberately designed to be difficult and burdensome to acquire, so you definitely want to start the purchase process before October 1.

Buying a handgun isn't too hard, if you have a clean record.

Check out the various dealers listed here:
    http://www.mdshooters.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128

You can call or contact them through this forum, either by posting in their forum area, or sending a Private Message (PM). If someone doesn't have what you want, you may be able to get it shipped to a Maryland dealer from an out of state distributor. Talk to the dealer before getting a gun shipped to them, though. You'll probably pay $50 or more for the transfer.

Before you buy the pistol, before you even go to the store, take the Maryland Online Safety Course, and print out your certificate. You'll need the number from the certificate.

Now pick out your pistol, and tell the dealer "I want that one." He will start pushing government forms at you.

You fill out Federal Form 4473.

You fill out Maryland Form 77r ( you'll need the number from the online safety course on that one.)

You sign a form authorizing Maryland to check your mental health records.

You pay the dealer, anywhere from 50% to 100%.

There's also a $10 fee for the honor of filling out Form 77r.

That's about it. Maryland does the background checks. Normally, you can pick up the gun on the eighth day, but these days, the State is messing with us by not returning the paperwork for 100 days or more. Some dealers will release after 8 days, as is their legal option, but don't expect it if they don't know you. You may have to wait 100 days or more to actually take your gun home.

You will probably have to buy a Maryland Compliant lock from the dealer when you pick up the gun. Stupid law: you just have to suck it up.

If you can't pick up the gun before October 1, you may need the new HQL anyway. That means 4 hours of training, fingerprints (about $75), and a $50 fee. Welcome to Maryland.

If your pistol has magazines holding more than ten rounds (most do), you won't be able to "receive" them in Maryland after October 1. Try to get the dealer to give them to you before October 1. You will be able to buy all the 15, 20, 30 round mags you want out of state, and bring them back for your personal use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom