Can I register (SBR) a stripped AR lower?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    As the title indicates, I'd like to know if I can SBR a stripped AR lower?

I'm aware of Maryland's OAL requirements and since I don't as yet know what upper I'll be using, I'd like to know if I can form 1 a receiver by itself?

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    And build it as a pistol first before ever putting a stock on it and shoot it that way till your stamp come back right ?

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    And build it as a pistol first before ever putting a stock on it and shoot it that way till your stamp come back right ?

In general, a good point. But, until I get around to completing the thing, it'll be stripped, so it can't be shot any which way.

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Is it possible to buy a lower receiver, say, this week or next, register it as a pistol, and then in 10-12 months register it as a SBR? Or do all receivers purchased after the new laws that are registered as a pistol, have to stay as ONLY a pistol?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Is it possible to buy a lower receiver, say, this week or next, register it as a pistol, and then in 10-12 months register it as a SBR? Or do all receivers purchased after the new laws that are registered as a pistol, have to stay as ONLY a pistol?

As for now, the stripped lower will be(should be) 'registered' as "multi", meaning you can build it into any(Merryland legal) configuration you choose. ALWAYS build it into a pistol first because later, after you build it into a rifle, then decide you'd rather have a pistol again, you can go back and do it legally. If you build a lower for the first time into a rifle, you can not build it into a pistol afterwards. DO NOT AND TRY TO APPLY LOGIC HERE.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    So by specifying that OAL >29", I don't have to specify how long of a barrel I am getting...so long as the entire rifle is longer than 29"?

As per my understanding, yes. There is no way of knowing the exact composite length without pre-assembling it which, by law is illegal. So one can only go by common knowledge here, right? I submitted mine at 29''. It came to 29.25'' actually. :shrug:

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    As for now, the stripped lower will be(should be) 'registered' as "multi", meaning you can build it into any(Merryland legal) configuration you choose. ALWAYS build it into a pistol first because later, after you build it into a rifle, then decide you'd rather have a pistol again, you can go back and do it legally. If you build a lower for the first time into a rifle, you can not build it into a pistol afterwards. DO NOT AND TRY TO APPLY LOGIC HERE.

It will be identified as "other" on the 77R. Multi refers to multicaliber. It can then be built into a pistol. It does not need to be registerred as a pistol after it is built.

So by specifying that OAL >29", I don't have to specify how long of a barrel I am getting...so long as the entire rifle is longer than 29"?

They ask you barrel length when efiling. Just use 10.5" when they ask. This length easily gets you to 29". When you build it you can use whatever length you need to get to 29". You can actually get there with a 8.5" barrel if you pin and weld/solder on a muzzle device and add a buttpad.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    They ask you barrel length when efiling. Just use 10.5" when they ask. This length easily gets you to 29". When you build it you can use whatever length you need to get to 29". You can actually get there with a 8.5" barrel if you pin and weld/solder on a muzzle device and add a buttpad.

That's what I needed to know. Thank you.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    IIRC, 10.3" is about the minimum length barrel to make 29" OAL, without some gyrations.

But, this thread:

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=185187

Discusses options to make 29" with down to an 8.5" barrel.

You DO have to state barrel length on the Form 1, and you can go longer, but not shorter, without notification. However, a quirk of the rules, you could make another upper with a different barrel length. You only need to notify if a the change is not easily reversible.

Sharpeneddark

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    Westminster
    Thanks for the info. I was thinking about getting a 10.5" 300 Blk barrel for my SBR, so it seems like I picked the magic number. It would probably explain why 10.5 barrels are more popular.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Only in MD. The rest of the country does not have that limitation.

And if Engage wins their lawsuit, we will not either.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Thanks for the info. I was thinking about getting a 10.5" 300 Blk barrel for my SBR, so it seems like I picked the magic number. It would probably explain why 10.5 barrels are more popular.

As was mentioned, the rest of the country doesn't need to worry about the 29" thing. One of the reasons that 10.5" is a popular length for 5.56 barrels is that it still gives decent velocity and it's the shortest length that a lot of suppressors are rated for with 5.56.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    As was mentioned, the rest of the country doesn't need to worry about the 29" thing. One of the reasons that 10.5" is a popular length for 5.56 barrels is that it still gives decent velocity and it's the shortest length that a lot of suppressors are rated for with 5.56.

This is an IMPORTANT thing to check.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom