• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • crowleycr

Mar 4, 2012
    Lexington Park
    Would it not be the same and much easier to buy it on the internet and have it delivered outside the People's Republic? Your agent/family member receives it for you outside Maryland. Transfer complete it is now with a trusted family member. Then your Grandpa drops it in his suitcase and stops by on his next trip into town. viola.

OK??

Chevyman85

Feb 14, 2013
    DoCo
    Um....NO! Now go back and edit your post!!!

If you don't see the problem then just delete the whole thing.

WTF people?

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    Then your Grandpa drops it in the local postal bin or stops by on his next trip into town. viola.
    To remain legal, you have to physically carry the magazine into the state with you. Having it mailed to you, regardless of whether a family member is the shipper or not, would count as your having received a banned magazine, which has been illegal since October 2013.

Last edited:

crowleycr

Mar 4, 2012
    Lexington Park
    illegal, like stealing cows? or having banks shut down gun shops? or no not that don't.... talk on the phone while driving.

Its official.
    I am now decadent and jaded. Nothing surprises me anymore.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    Would it not be the same and much easier to buy it on the internet and have it delivered outside the People's Republic? Your agent/family member receives it for you outside Maryland. Transfer complete it is now with a trusted family member. Then your Grandpa drops it in his suitcase and stops by on his next trip into town. viola.

OK??

No defintely not since that is definitely illegal.

KPSpeller

Aug 28, 2013
    Waldorf, MD
    TSA says no.

TSA says no gun parts in carry on and must be declared in checked baggage. I know Law Enforcement Officers who are flying armed and have been called back to take empty magazines from their check baggage.

Triggerscan

Shooting Ventures, LLC
    Feb 11, 2010
    Monrovia, MD
    Prior legal possession

I would look at it this way. If you legally possessed it in MD first, then you would probably be ok mailing it back to yourself at a later date. But, buying one out of state and mailing it into MD, could be considered "receiving" as you never had prior legal possession in MD.

To me, the difference between mailing and the airlines, is that with the airlines, you essentially accompany your luggage the whole flight, it's just not co-located with you on the plane. With USPS, UPS or Fedex, that is not the case so they could claim that picking up the package is "receiving" and thus banned.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    To me, the difference between mailing and the airlines, is that with the airlines, you essentially accompany your luggage the whole flight, it's just not co-located with you on the plane. With USPS, UPS or Fedex, that is not the case so they could claim that picking up the package is "receiving" and thus banned.

How do you figure you accompany your luggage and not "co-located" with you when you must physically hand over your luggage to the airline/TSA and are not allowed to access it in any way until landing in MD. You cannot bring firearms parts in carry on, they must be checked in.

Not only that, but when I checked firearms a couple weeks ago and was cutting it close time wise. I had to agree that if I missed my flight I would be on the next one because my bags were going to be loaded regardless. In that case, I definitely wouldn't have accompanied them.

Last edited:

Triggerscan

Shooting Ventures, LLC
    Feb 11, 2010
    Monrovia, MD
    I'm not an airlines expert, but it was explained to me that if a passenger checked a bag and then didn't board the plane, they would delay the plane and pull the bags unless the passenger was "officially" delayed and still traveling to that location. Checking bags and being a no-show raises a big red security flag.

As far as the co-location issue, what I meant was that the bags are on the plane with you, granted they are about 10' below you. Just like on a Greyhound bus, they are in the luggage hold underneath, but you are still leaving and arriving with the items unlike mailing them where you and the item are really in two different places.

When I receive a firearm for a customer with a banned mag, I usually mail them to a friend or relative out-of-state for later pickup. If the customer has them pulled by the selling FFL, I usually recommend they go to the next Dulles Expo Gun Show and load up.

Until there is a real test case or an interpretation from the AG, we are all just hypothesizing.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I don't know if this is completely true. I have gotten on an earlier flight to the same destination and my bag stayed on the later flight since it had been checked already. Since there is nothing in the system that denotes a firearm is checked baggage (no matter what some folks here will argue), the bag goes on the original flight even if you are not on the plane. I know this from first hand experience. albeit it was more than a couple of years ago.

The airliners didn't match bags to passenger lists so maybe this has changed.

jake12

May 18, 2010
    I don't know if this is completely true. I have gotten on an earlier flight to the same destination and my bag stayed on the later flight since it had been checked already. Since there is nothing in the system that denotes a firearm is checked baggage (no matter what some folks here will argue), the bag goes on the original flight even if you are not on the plane. I know this from first hand experience. albeit it was more than a couple of years ago.

The airliners didn't match bags to passenger lists so maybe this has changed.

Same experience here. Southwest even told me that it will not come with me if I was standby on an earlier flight and I'll have to come to the airport to pick it up later.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    I'm not an airlines expert, but it was explained to me that if a passenger checked a bag and then didn't board the plane, they would delay the plane and pull the bags unless the passenger was "officially" delayed and still traveling to that location. Checking bags and being a no-show raises a big red security flag.

I think back in the day they used to do that, but since they screen checked in bags much more carefully now they let it fly.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I think this is probably the case. It's not like an unscreened bag will be put on the plane, whether a passenger is on the plane or not.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    As far as the difference between different modes of things from one place to another , a key phrase is *Common Carrier* .

But meanwhile back at post #74 - what the heck does this discussion about shipping magazines have to do with bashing hunters ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom