• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RipkinC

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2007
    Free America
    Dr's can usually get them rather easly from what I understand... its the average joe or small biz owner that cant.
    As to the persons question about laptops... sorry bud your probably out of luck, Though I do know a guy that got a permit to carry who is a antique arms dealer, he can have a gun ONLY when he has (transporting) the rest of his guns, WTF right.

jjboxman

Nov 18, 2008
    Pa & Md
    Hehe. I do write a lot of letters, especially in relation to the 2A. I would be reluctant to create any waves. What if Senator Frosh hears that I have a gun permit? Since we are not a "shall issue" state, Maryland will become a "shall revoke" state for me. What I have done is spoken with all of my colleagues and encouraged them to get a permit. Only a couple have gone through with it, but I think the more people we have with them, the better it will be for everyone. I still have "restrictions" printed on the back of the permit. FWIW, I won't stop writing letters and sending money to pro-2A politicians in this state. I think my community would be much safer with many more responsible armed citizens out there.
    Agree 100%

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    Dr's can usually get them rather easly from what I understand... its the average joe or small biz owner that cant.
    As to the persons question about laptops... sorry bud your probably out of luck, Though I do know a guy that got a permit to carry who is a antique arms dealer, he can have a gun ONLY when he has (transporting) the rest of his guns, WTF right.
    From what I remember (I did my research during Glendenning's reign), anyone could get a permit with the right justification wording (certain people/groups were helping at the time to check justifications and suggest improvements to the wording), it might have more restrictions than they wanted, but its better than nothing. Small business owners could get them by showing cash transaction, which would then be restricted to transporting the cash to/from the bank. Shooters could get them with a little wording about going to the range with MGs/NFA or gun shows, but then could only carry during those times, etc.

Once I get the NFA toys I'm in the process for (SBR, SBS, suppressors), I'm strongly thinking about applying for one just so I could carry on the drive to/from the range.

xd40c

Business Owner-Gun Toter
    Sep 20, 2007
    East Earl, PA
    Please allow me to hijack a bit and tap into some experience.

I am a business owner that regularly transports laptop computers. On any given day I could have $5000 of laptops with me.

Could I get a CCW based on this... NO cash just laptops? If so... I am sure it would come with the qualification that I could only carry when transporting laptops.

Cash is not a requirement, but without it you'll need a very good reason to carry. Can your laptops be easily turned into cash?? I would think the answer is yes. Laptops may not be cash, but they could be "currency" on the street.

If you own a business, how are you paid?? There must be something you're taking to the bank. I got mine approved back in the day, with nothing but checks.

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    Cash is not a requirement, but without it you'll need a very good reason to carry. Can your laptops be easily turned into cash?? I would think the answer is yes. Laptops may not be cash, but they could be "currency" on the street.

If you own a business, how are you paid?? There must be something you're taking to the bank. I got mine approved back in the day, with nothing but checks.

Good to know.
    Checks and laptops I have! Cash no... We don't do retail just business to business transactions.

I am working up the will to make the possible donation and send in my application. I had a Frederick City Police officer tell me I should go for it but that is his opinion not the MSP's.

Bill

Mar 14, 2008
    Ocean City, MD
    I need to go and apply for mine. I'm 90 percent sure I qualify (Business related, travel with lots of expensive equipment and merchandise, carry cash, business owner requested)

ErgoProxy

Dec 1, 2008
    Balt. county
    Anyone know what the chances of pharmacists getting a CCW are? I should have my degree & license in about a year assuming I don't massively screw something up. Any community pharmacy easily has hundreds of thousands of dollars in controlled substances alone (prob in the millions if you go by street value: for example regular release oxycodone is probably $5 and oxycontin at least $25 PER PILL). It seems common sense to me for the pharmacist to be armed at all times, but of course MD law doesn't operate based on sense, common or otherwise.

How about getting a CCW now? I start rotations (working for free) in two months. I will technically be a pharmacy intern rather than a licensed pharmacist, but the same argument applies.

RipkinC

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2007
    Free America
    Anyone know what the chances of pharmacists getting a CCW are? I should have my degree & license in about a year assuming I don't massively screw something up. Any community pharmacy easily has hundreds of thousands of dollars in controlled substances alone (prob in the millions if you go by street value: for example regular release oxycodone is probably $5 and oxycontin at least $25 PER PILL). It seems common sense to me for the pharmacist to be armed at all times, but of course MD law doesn't operate based on sense, common or otherwise.

How about getting a CCW now? I start rotations (working for free) in two months. I will technically be a pharmacy intern rather than a licensed pharmacist, but the same argument applies.

Once licensed you should be able to, You would be like a doctor. I know a dentist who got one, and I think I have heard about you guys too getting them on a relatively easy basis.
    Bascally if your in a "rich-mans" job (doctor, lawyer, dentist, politician), you can get them. Regular folk cant.
    And I do know biz owners who have had a clean record get turned down. At one point in time you needed to show around $10K/mo in CASH deposits to qualify for "cash" and/or biz owner.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Just wondering if anyone has ever tried using ADA as a reason for a permit? I can't run, so trying to flee is out of the question.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Just wondering if anyone has ever tried using ADA as a reason for a permit? I can't run, so trying to flee is out of the question.

It would be the perfect thing for a class action suit about denying your RKBA for self defense if they do deny you though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom