Can for .223...advice from those with experience?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yamasung

Feb 27, 2013
    Baltimore County
    This thread died a somewhat quick death- was hoping for some more opinions! I'm reviving it, but only because I'm considering changing my criterion to the "best" suppressor for double-duty on a .308 bolt gun and the .223 semi-auto. For those with the experience, is it worth the investment purely from a sound suppression perspective to buy a suppressor specific to each caliber or is there a manufacturer/model where the loss in sound suppression using a .30 caliber can on a .223 host is so minimal as to be negligible? Who offers the best overall system for suppression and interchangeability between calibers? I'm doing my research, but interested in firsthand opinions which is why I'm asking. Thanks!

Broncolou

Jan 22, 2013
    Parkton MD
    I have a gemtech G5 in jail right now but I use a YHM 7.62 Ti Phantom QD for .308/300aac/223 right now. Very happy with the performance, I'm not a mag dump kind of guy although I do rapid fire excercises(223) and rarely more than a 20rnd mag at a time. Dont shoot paper with it but lots of steel. No real notable POI change but I'm sure its there. Usually shoot at <150yrds and 6-18" plates easily w/o issue. HTH I bought the G5 for it's known abusability and solid reputaion. Cant wait to shoot it....

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    I have an AAC M4-2000 and an AAC 762-SDN-6. The quick detach feature is really nice. I like both cans. However, if I was to choose only one, it would be the 762-SDN-6. The M4-2000 is quieter on a .223, but there is not that much difference when comparing it side by side to the 762-SDN-6 on a .223. I also have an SWR Omega 300. It's quieter than the 762-SDN-6, but it is also larger and HEAVY. I use that can on bolt guns with a bipod. The 762-SDN-6 is a good choice for a can that will be used on an AR and a bolt gun. Just my $.02.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    This thread died a somewhat quick death- was hoping for some more opinions! I'm reviving it, but only because I'm considering changing my criterion to the "best" suppressor for double-duty on a .308 bolt gun and the .223 semi-auto.... I'm doing my research, but interested in firsthand opinions which is why I'm asking. Thanks!

You know frankly there are a lot of not bad choices. Its not like anyone here can say get this one for sure. For example, some have suggested Suppressors without a QD FH. I myself would not consider one but thats because I know I don't want to be spending time checking to make sure its tight when the can is hot as sh@t. No one likes melting Gloves on their suppressor! :) I am shooting high volume and so thats not something I want to worry about. However if you are shooting a single round a minute or two and you are a target shooter, maybe that is the way to go??? However if you are going to be shooting quick enough to get it real hot, which does not take much, I would not consider a non-QD FH.

You know I do find it interesting. I hear the a lot of guys comparing suppressors down to the 0.1 OZ and then suggest you use a much heavier 7.62 can on a 223 gun... Not accusing anyone here, just see it often. For the flexibility they are willing to add a pound but will write off comparable cans because of an ounce. They tell you how important it is to keep the weight down but then add a bunch to get the flexibility. I would suggest trying it for yourself before buying. 7.62 cans are a fair amount larger. If you are going to use it 50/50 on 223/7.62 thats one thing. However if its 95/5 like it would be for me... maybe that flexibility might not be worth it.

To me, the money is not a huge issue and the time it not important to me either if I have to wait. That said, I will be getting a 223 can and then much later a 7.62 can if I ever really want one. Yeah you can always get a much larger can... but to me... I am buying a high performing can. I want ever bit of performance out of it, which means fitting it to the correct caliber it was made for.

So at some point, you just kind of have to list out what is most important to you and go from there. I also suggest watching YT videos on suppressors. Just like internet opinions, you must be critical of what you watch and disregard the "sales pitch" and the retards...

If it helps, I think I have pretty much settled on a 223 Saker for my M16.

sleev-les

Prestige Worldwide
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    I've got a Saker 7.62 in prison right now. I believe they have a different endcap you can change out to use on the 5.56 if you wanted to go that far. Or just leave it as is.

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Definitely not where you are!
    This thread died a somewhat quick death- was hoping for some more opinions! I'm reviving it, but only because I'm considering changing my criterion to the "best" suppressor for double-duty on a .308 bolt gun and the .223 semi-auto. For those with the experience, is it worth the investment purely from a sound suppression perspective to buy a suppressor specific to each caliber or is there a manufacturer/model where the loss in sound suppression using a .30 caliber can on a .223 host is so minimal as to be negligible? Who offers the best overall system for suppression and interchangeability between calibers? I'm doing my research, but interested in firsthand opinions which is why I'm asking. Thanks!

There's really no such thing as "best" suppressor for double-duty. You really need to refine your requirements and give some deep thought on what you want out of these suppressors. Hell, if you're only shooting up to .308 on a bolt gun, get a SilencerCo Harvester. Which at 11.3oz and $600 can't be beat. Then get a slightly beefier 5.56 suppressor that can support volume fire, especially if you don't plan on running and gunning all the time then obviously weight is less of a factor.

However, if I was forced to pick an overall suppressor and if weight wasn't a factor (realistically) then I also vote for the Saker 762. It has a lot of mounting flexibility, being that it can use AAC and YankeeHill stuff, and can take a major all around beating.

Yamasung

Feb 27, 2013
    Baltimore County
    There's really no such thing as "best" suppressor for double-duty. You really need to refine your requirements and give some deep thought on what you want out of these suppressors. Hell, if you're only shooting up to .308 on a bolt gun, get a SilencerCo Harvester. Which at 11.3oz and $600 can't be beat. Then get a slightly beefier 5.56 suppressor that can support volume fire, especially if you don't plan on running and gunning all the time then obviously weight is less of a factor.

However, if I was forced to pick an overall suppressor and if weight wasn't a factor (realistically) then I also vote for the Saker 762. It has a lot of mounting flexibility, being that it can use AAC and YankeeHill stuff, and can take a major all around beating.

I guess I've been considering all options here, but my first impulse has always been to buy suppressors dedicated to a particular caliber in an effort to get the maximum suppression capability (which is, of course, the reason for using them after all). I have no plans to go higher than .308, but in all honestly can't tell what the future holds for the .223. Right now it's a range/target gun only, but that could change. I should obviously get a suppressor that will handle whatever I throw at it, short of full auto which I have no plans for. With so much talk of folks interchanging between .30 cal and .223 I wasn't sure if the suppression was equally good for both calibers with one can. The weight I hadn't considered, so thanks for bringing that to my attention!

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    What I did was geta ThunderBeast CB9 for .308 bolt (not worried as much about size and weight) and some (not much) .223 use.

And a CB5 for .300 BlackOut and .223 use (probably about 60/40 or 70/30).

Subsonic .223 does not make a lot of sense, and supersonic does't suppress all that much.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Thanks guys, keep 'em coming! Any experience with the SpecWar, Saker or a TBAC 30P-1?

When I was looking at 223 cans, I talked a bunch of folks. (thanks Bob) I ultimately went with a Specwar 762 for a couple reasons. I do have a 308 which it will eventually be used on. it is still in jail so I can't give any first hand reviews on it. I will say it is built like a tank. Yes I was warned about the weight. For my purposes, it didn't matter. It has proprietary mounts, but are easily available for both the 556 and 762 thread pitches. The saker is really nice, but more expensive and I don't have any other mounts. I gotta say, some of the end caps on the saker are really bad ass. Again for my needs, overkill.
    The final deciding factor between the Specwar and Saker was price. I got a great deal on it.

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    When I was looking at 223 cans, I talked a bunch of folks. (thanks Bob) I ultimately went with a Specwar 762 for a couple reasons. I do have a 308 which it will eventually be used on. it is still in jail so I can't give any first hand reviews on it. I will say it is built like a tank. Yes I was warned about the weight. For my purposes, it didn't matter. It has proprietary mounts, but are easily available for both the 556 and 762 thread pitches. The saker is really nice, but more expensive and I don't have any other mounts. I gotta say, some of the end caps on the saker are really bad ass. Again for my needs, overkill.
    The final deciding factor between the Specwar and Saker was price. I got a great deal on it.

Sundazes you'll have lots of fun with that Specwar 762, as it's probably the most robust .30cal QD can on the market. It's simple, strong, and quiet. However, coming in at 24oz it's a HEAVY mamma jamma! You'll be handing that thing down to your heirs before it ever breaks. I have the Specwar 556 and I've toasted it through my FNC machingun and 7.5" AR-15, with no problems. The complete stellite baffle stack and robust stainless steel tube, probably has something to with that :D

Word of advice, on high carbon deposit guns (i.e. short barrels) and when using a muzzle break. Make sure you give the the large ASR (Specwar) threads a light coating of nickel based anti-seize. I had gotten my Specwar 556 super seized up on my 7.5" AR-15. Luckily the mount screwed off and I was able to send it back to SilencerCo. They paid for all shipping and when it was returned, they had refinished it and gave me an extra muzzle break for my trouble. How cool is that? :party29:

This is some good high-temp stuff. Don't use copper based anti-seize, as it will weld the suppressor to your mount.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008RMT9LO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Sundazes you'll have lots of fun with that Specwar 762, as it's probably the most robust .30cal QD can on the market. It's simple, strong, and quite. However, coming in at 24oz it's a HEAVY mamma jamma! You'll be handing that thing down to your heirs before it ever breaks. I have the Specwar 556 and I've toasted it through my FNC machingun and 7.5" AR-15, with no problems. The complete stellite baffle stack and robust stainless steel tube, probably has something to with that :D

Word of advice, on high carbon deposit guns (i.e. short barrels) and when using a muzzle break. Make sure you give the the large ASR (Specwar) threads a light coating of nickel based anti-seize. I had gotten by Specwar 556 super siezed up on my 7.5" AR-15. Luckily the mount screwed off and I was able to send it back to SilencerCo. They paid for all shipping and when it was returned, they had refinished it and gave me an extra muzzle break for my trouble. How cool is that? :party29:

This is some good high-temp stuff. Don't use copper based anti-seize, as it will weld the suppressor to your mount.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008RMT9LO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I remember you telling me about that a Duffy's. I have been using anti seize on my other cans. I ordered the stuff you suggested. Thanks.
    What was you dad shooting at the Dufffy's shoot?

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    I remember you telling me about that a Duffy's. I have been using anti seize on my other cans. I ordered the stuff you suggested. Thanks.
    What was you dad shooting at the Dufffy's shoot?

It was an FN-FNC machinegun modified by TBA Suppressors. Great gun to shoot, that has the lower receiver redone to have HK style pictograph engravings. It also has a full length piston driven bolt carrier, much like an AK. It's very reliable and easy to control. If you can find an FNC machinegun for a good price, I would recommend buying one while the prices are still reasonable (relative).

http://www.tbasuppressors.com/FN-FNC-Machine-Gun-WAll-Options_p_28.html

Zatoichi

Nov 12, 2014
    I have a Gemtech G5 with the Bilock quick attachment. I am disappointed by the bullet drop, due to the weight of the can. Maybe the newer G5 cans are better?

If I were in the market, I would look at SurFire cans, for the whole POI issue.

Best of luck.

Cheers!

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    I have a Gemtech G5 with the Bilock quick attachment. I am disappointed by the bullet drop, due to the weight of the can. Maybe the newer G5 cans are better?

If I were in the market, I would look at SurFire cans, for the whole POI issue.

Best of luck.

Cheers!

Do you have the steel or titanium version of the G5? For some reason I keep hearing bad things, all over the map, concerning the steel G5 (POI shift, tube failures under extreme heat, baffle strikes, etc). However, not so much with the titanium versions. I have the Quicksand, which is essentially the .30cal titanium equivalent to the G5, and have had no problems, including very little POI shift. The bi-lock system is not best, no doubt. But even that system doesn't move the suppressor up-and-down causing baffle strikes.

Hearing and reading all these instances, I can't say I would recommend the G5 either, at least not the steel version. Gemtech has their new line\generation out, we'll see how they fare. Hopefully they stepped up their game, or companies like SilencerCo, AAC, Thunderbeast, and Liberty are going to to smoke them out of the market.

Zatoichi

Nov 12, 2014
    I have a steel one. I purchased it as a "two-fer" meaning my ARs & 5.7 PS90 SBR.

Gemtech is top notch to deal with--I'd email or call & tell them concerns. I did re: G5 & they explained the Bilock isn't as tight as screwing on.

One day I'll get around to changing it....

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    Who makes a good full auto rated 556 can? I looked at a couple of websites and all the Titanium cans are listed as not full auto rated. At least on TB website. Their FA rated 556 can is SS.

I have noticed SS is quieter than Aluminum. Is Titanium quieter than SS?

Dave

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    Who makes a good full auto rated 556 can? I looked at a couple of websites and all the Titanium cans are listed as not full auto rated. At least on TB website. Their FA rated 556 can is SS.

I have noticed SS is quieter than Aluminum. Is Titanium quieter than SS?

Dave

I don't have a definite answer, but I do know that YHM rates the SS version of the phantom for slightly better suppression than the Ti version. They are internally identical. Take that for what it's worth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom