• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Anyone here work with Kydex? This knife comes with a leather sheath and I've had it for a few years and I hate leavin it in leather because it gets surface rust so quick. I wouldn't mind having a really nice new sheath to keep it in when I go hiking and am at the range.

It's a Bowie, 16" overall, 11" 6mm blade.

Eventually im gonna get a REALLY nice USA made Bowie.

Glock_Fireman

Professional Pot Stirrer
    Apr 6, 2013
    Freedom Land
    Check out tornado_racing on ebay I bought a light bearing OWB holster from him he makes his own holsters and they are pretty sturdy. He even told me that if I knew anyone looking for a custom light bearing holster that he would be willing to try to make it happen for them. I would give it a shot.

Attachments

• 1378073752306.jpg
      1378073752306.jpg
      47.9 KB · Views: 245
    • 1378073778059.jpg
      1378073778059.jpg
      51.4 KB · Views: 238

Daiuy

May 31, 2013
    I watched a few youtube videos of making a knife sheath from a pvc pipe and it looked pretty simple.

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    I've had River City Sheaths do a few things for me and been very happy with the pricing, service, and quality. If you are familiar with BladeTech, I'd say the workmanship is on about that level, so they are making great products.
    http://www.rivercitysheaths.com/photo.htm

If leather is a possibility, Gary Graley makes an incredibly nice range and is a go-to guy for someone wanting a custom sheath. If your knife is something that will be displayed, his sheaths are so beautiful that they are great for displaying with the knife and they complete the look. In addition to looking amazing, they are very durable.

If you have multiple knives, doing it yourself may be more economical...it surely gives you a lot more options as to how you want to make it. It is also a lot less difficult and a lot less expensive than often thought...especially with YouTube as a knowledge base and a few big retailers of holster material that sell to the public, the DIY holsters are really attractive options.

Making a good sheath does not require many tools, and the kits come with all parts you need.
    http://www.knifekits.com/vcom/index.php?cPath=41

I've used HOLSTEX myself and I like it as much or more than Kydex...the CF pattern looks real because it is physically textured to give a better 3D appearance. With only a crude heat gun, taped off needlenose pliers, some painter's tape, the small clamps made by Irwin, and epoxy, I made a sheath that looked professional and I would definitely use it again given it was a $15 sheath. You would probably need a large kit, but given the Holstex DIY kit is under 20 bucks, it's a good value and there is a lot of info on working Holstex, Kydex, Thermoforms, BOLTARON, and more. BOLTARON is even cheaper at like 10 bucks a kit and supposedly it is the easiest of the materials to work with if you only have crude heat sources such as an oven or hairdryer and a lot of people say it's best for a first DIY.
    http://www.knifekits.com/vcom/index.php?cPath=41_430_459

The linked above website also often sells cosmetically-damaged pieces of sheath material...a lot of people buy them to use as a 'practice run' to get more used to working with the materials and learning when/where it molds and how to control the molding.

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    I am in the process of buying some mats & equipment to start making my own stuff. If you can wait, and want to be a guinea pig, I'll try to make you one for cheap. (Free)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom