• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    I find myself tighten screws with the phillips on my Tinker Swiss Army in the strangest places and just love the looks I get. I rarely go a day with out using something on it...feel nikkid without it.

X-Factor

I don't say please
    Jun 2, 2009
    Calvert County
    True story from this morning:

I had to cut open a box to search it and was immediately asked by TWO people why I was not wearing cut resistant "bull" gloves.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    You should have seen the soccer moms last year when the coach (me) pulled out a Benchmade Nitro AO to cut some stuff out of the goal. It was priceless. My son, then 7 had asked me for his cub scout knife to help. God I wish I had a camera with me.
    I carry mine everywhere except work. Gov buildings in DC frown about bringing them in, so it stays at home. But I do have a small Kershaw in the glove box......

Scottysan

Ultimate Member
    May 19, 2008
    Maryland
    I find myself tighten screws with the phillips on my Tinker Swiss Army in the strangest places and just love the looks I get. I rarely go a day with out using something on it...feel nikkid without it.

had something like it just last night... needed something small and pointy to move a button to adjust about a dozen pieces of hardware. Thank God I had my knife...saved me a half hour of walking and finding a tool.

my favorite, though, was my sister in law, who needed a knife to open a gift one Christmas and was horrified when she opened my Junglee Foreign Legion. She asked OMG.... is this a terrorist knife??!! :lol2::lol2:
    my wife almost fell out of her chair choking.... she's seen the rest of them!

Scottysan

Ultimate Member
    May 19, 2008
    Maryland
    +1 I have been carrying a pocketknife since I earned my boy scout "totin' chip" badge at about 11 or 12. I carried it every day to school, I carry it to church, I had it at my wedding. Every where I go except federal buildings and airports. I have never used it as a weapon or for a threat even. In my family it's part of the "uniform". The quote from my father was that it was part of your underwear. If you were doing something that required underwear you needed you keys and a pocketknife.

hmmmm....never thought about it as underwear...

but then, I don't usually go out without both of them either...

wallet, watch, keys, knife

May 25, 2009
    Tell them back "I could kill you with a spork if I wanted to, but I don't make it a habit of killing people."

I've had issues with my employer in the past(not currently, but it's a matter of time) about this issue. I sometimes open one to two hundred boxes in a day, so a box cutter is ideal, but sometimes, I lose/forget one. I whip out a kershaw and I would immediately get remarks.
    "That's illegal!"
    No, it isn't.
    "You could kill someone!"
    And I couldn't with a razor sharp box cutter? Or a pen, or a soup can lid, or my keys...
    "That's a weapon!"
    I'm clearly using it as a cutting tool...

I find it ironic that we are GIVEN the same brand box cutters believed to be used for the 9/11 hijackings and I get comments because I'm using a Kershaw to cut some packing tape. I always tell people: Carry a knife for a week, even a small keychain knife, THEN tell me it's unnecessary.
    As for the OP...It happens about once a week. I've been carrying since I was 16 or so, and I'm 21 now. So a couple hundred times or so I estimate.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    I carry a small victorinox(on about my fifth one) and use it daily. College was the worst. I would pull it out to open something and you would have thought I just kicked a kitten. Best was when everyone was moving in and nobody had a knife. Great way to meet girls. Nobody at my work cares, but I don't push it with anything larger than the small vic.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    a friend of mine........used to carry a front-opening switchblade, something like this..
    Italian_Concord_Black_Black_Serrated.jpg
    ...turns out at his job at hope depot the knife made the perfect box cutter/utility knife. easy one-handed opening and the ability to cut through things like plastic-wrap and foam insulation better than the stupid retractable boxcutter they gave him.

annnyways, managers and supervisors used to not approve but didn't complain because of how productive he was. now he carries a sog spec elite which opens about as fast but doesnt get as many strange looks.

whenever anyone asks why i carry a knife or aren't i just being paranoid or something i remind them they use knives throughout their life when they eat or cut paper or get a haircut and they're a handy tool to have around...they're only a weapon if you use it that way, and i'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

if they keep questioning me i just backhand them...what are they gunna do? stab me? bwahaha

bigpapa1080

They call me Horseface
    I had a few customers complain at my old job because I was using it to cut open boxes to put on display, they said I was "using it in a threatening manner" or something. My manager didn't really care, he just said something because he had to, he thought it was funny. The knife in question was a 3" Kershaw. I wouldn't consider it at all threatening, but whatever. People get all scared of stuff that makes no sense.

Nanook

F-notso-NG-anymore
    andyman;437938... The quote from my father was that it was part of your underwear. If you were doing something that required [B said:
    underwear[/B] you needed you keys and a pocketknife....

andy

Hmmm. Wearing a kilt I don't have pockets. I do have long socks with a nice elastic band that can keep a knife in place, even while running. Besides, I only need my keys and a knife! :D

andyman

Former Senior Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    pg county
    Hmmm. Wearing a kilt I don't have pockets. I do have long socks with a nice elastic band that can keep a knife in place, even while running. Besides, I only need my keys and a knife! :D

aren't socks kinda considered underwear to a scotsman? I've heard they're not big on the conventional kind.

Shadow68

May 4, 2009
    AA Co.
    As many that have responded - my Dad gave me a little pocket knife when I was about 11 - and told me that I should always carry one. I did for many years, I went through a bunch of different variations, but they were always on the small side. I think the largest blade I carried regularly was on a Leatherman mini (probably 2.5 inches at best)...

My work has me doing a lot of air travel and also in Federal buildings a lot - so in the last 8 or so years, I've lost a bunch of penknives because of forgetting I had them in my pocket and getting stopped at airport or Fed bldg. security.

I had some luck carrying one of these on my key ring - but recently TSA has gotten wise to them as well. So I've lost a few of them now too.

It's so damn frustrating to be practically "Criminal" for carrying a tool that has so much utility in everyday life.
    A sharp pencil or a 59 cent Bic pen has much more potential to be lethal.

Hell, if I ever tried to use one of the tiny little penknives, or the Utili-key as a weapon, I'd probably hurt myself more than anyone else.

So, now half the time I don't have a knife on me & I get pissed everytime I realize I need one (usually at least once a day - it seems)

No real point to this post - I guess I'm just venting.

+1 on the pussification of our "society"

travistheone

Usual Suspect
    Dec 11, 2008
    cockeysville
    In new york city you can get into major trouble for carrying a simple folder. My opinion is keep it generally hidden, and no one will bother you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom