• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MentalSquint

Can't Stomp Us Out
    Dec 6, 2007
    Frederick
    You have seen someone who needed a knife, struggling to cut something with a pen, keys, or God forbid their freaking teeth. Have them take and use your knife, and then have them say "Why do you carry a knife?" or when opening an AO knife say "Is that legal? You could kill someone with that!" Ofcourse they always say it after they've used it. For me I'd say it's been at least over 100 times now. Then when you present more than one knife they look at you like your completely insane.

I can give some slack for people who don't, can't or wont carry a gun or own one, but a sharp penknife or multitool on your person is insurance. Beats chipping or breaking your teeth, ripping out your fingernails, cutting your hands up trying to open Christmas presents.

I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir, but the pussification of this world is so alarming. In the interest of public safety I believe a person should not leave their home without atleast a sharp knife, multitool preferably with tweezers and pliers, and a charged flashlight.

jaywade

Ultimate Member
    Nov 2, 2009
    Leesburg, VA
    I had a customer complain to my mgr once caused I had a knife on me and she saw me use it to cut some plastic ties with..... what can you do?

Ethan83

Ultimate Member
    Jan 8, 2009
    Baltimoreish
    You have seen someone who needed a knife, struggling to cut something with a pen, keys, or God forbid their freaking teeth. Have them take and use your knife, and then have them say "Why do you carry a knife?" or when opening an AO knife say "Is that legal? You could kill someone with that!" Ofcourse they always say it after they've used it. For me I'd say it's been at least over 100 times now. Then when you present more than one knife they look at you like your completely insane.

I can give some slack for people who don't, can't or wont carry a gun or own one, but a sharp penknife or multitool on your person is insurance. Beats chipping or breaking your teeth, ripping out your fingernails, cutting your hands up trying to open Christmas presents.

I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir, but the pussification of this world is so alarming. In the interest of public safety I believe a person should not leave their home without atleast a sharp knife, multitool preferably with tweezers and pliers, and a charged flashlight.

Honestly, no, I don't think I've ever had anybody question it... Then again my day job is just me and my gun-nut boss, and my side work is doing live event productions where I guess it's assumed we need the tools. Outside of work, I don't really associate with many liberal-ish people.

However, I'm happy to say I would be up to your standards :rolleyes: My EDC consists of a Kershaw Leek w D2 steel AO in the right pocket, a Leatherman Surge on the belt, and a Surefire E2 w Cree Q5 LED in the left pocket. :party29:

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    One time I was preparing for a trip at work and was using a knife to cut some packing tape. A manager came up and was talking to me and then made some remark, looked nervous and walked away. After the fact I realized she had made an abstract reference to me having a knife and only then did I realize that I was gesturing using the hand that the knife was in.

Onua

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2008
    Carroll County
    everyone at work knows I always have a knife/multi tool on me. I had a manager tell me my small Buck lite (pink) could get me disciplinary action, then I noted to him the previous Employee of the Quarter meeting we were all handed Small Swiss army knives as a safety award. He left it alone after that. I went with the pink buck lite cause dropping it in the field or shop it was easy to find

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    I don't usually carry it during the week. I use it all the time on weekends and my wife asks me all the time for it. I do remember once needing it at work and making a comment that I wish I had it, and got the "why do you carry a knife" kind of response... Duh, I'm standing here needing to cut something...

md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.
    I have carried a swiss army knife since my father got me my first one when I was about 13. I also typically carry a Leatherman wave. My wife actually asked me once after we got married if i always carried a knife after we were at my parents house and someone said they needed a knife. Well 4 of us pulled out our Swiss Army knives, my father, brother, brother in law, and one of my sisters. I bought her one shortly thereafter when she agreed they were usefull.

travistheone

Usual Suspect
    Dec 11, 2008
    cockeysville
    Knife, multi-tool and good light everyday, all the time. A fixed blade stays away for big jobs, or defense. The multi-tool is very non threatening and works for most small jobs.

1105091331.jpg

NYKh

Fear & Loathing
    Sep 29, 2009
    Whitemarsh
    I've encountered that issue to many times to care anymore. Now, if I see someone struggling with something I do not offer or assist in anyway. If the person is to incompetent to have the correct tool for the job, it's their problem not mine. In fact, often someone will approach me and say something to the effect, "I'm trying to .... X told me you carry a pocket knife, I need to use it", my response is that I do not know your skill level with a dangerous tool and will not take on the responsibility of supplying you with one.

smokering

Day Walker
    May 16, 2008
    AA
    It's a joke pretty much amongst most or all of my friends if you need a knife to ask me. At work (sys eng.) nobody has freaked too much and most of what I carry are AOs. I had a former manager get a kick out of asking to borrow my knife and commenting anytime it was a different one. I think most of the people were interested in how liner locks, axis locks, AOs and general operation of knifes different then gramp's penknife or Swiss army worked.

My wife doesn't give it a second thought and isn't surprised if I have one while in coat and tie.

Benchmade-940-rw-8238-24069.jpg

andyman

Former Senior Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    pg county
    I have carried a swiss army knife since my father got me my first one when I was about 13. I also typically carry a Leatherman wave. My wife actually asked me once after we got married if i always carried a knife after we were at my parents house and someone said they needed a knife. Well 4 of us pulled out our Swiss Army knives, my father, brother, brother in law, and one of my sisters. I bought her one shortly thereafter when she agreed they were usefull.

+1 I have been carrying a pocketknife since I earned my boy scout "totin' chip" badge at about 11 or 12. I carried it every day to school, I carry it to church, I had it at my wedding. Every where I go except federal buildings and airports. I have never used it as a weapon or for a threat even. In my family it's part of the "uniform". The quote from my father was that it was part of your underwear. If you were doing something that required underwear you needed you keys and a pocketknife.

As to the original post, my favorite story about ridiculous reactions is from my mom. My mother was at County Chrysler back in the day finalizing paperwork on a new Town and Country minivan. No one could seem to get the plastic bag containing her plates open. She reached in her purse and pulled out her swiss army knife w/ scissors and offered to cut open the bag. The salesman freaked out and commented about her carrying around a "pig-sticker". We still laugh about his reaction at family gatherings. Funny part is my mom wouldn't really know how to hurt you with it if she wanted.

andy

IcedC

Main Screen Turn On!
    Apr 3, 2008
    Setting up them the bomb!
    I got my first knife in the scouts around age 12, and ive been carrying a leatherman on my person since i was 18... I now carry a leatherman and 2 folding knives.... honestly I can't even tell they're their so I don't think its too much... I had one extremely liberal chick i know ask why i had them and I told her 'cause I can't carry my gun' just to get a rise out of her (shes total c~unt that reasoning with is useless)

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    If you carry and use a knife every day then eventually you will run into someone who can't imagine why any human being would ever need to have a cutting tool outside of the kitchen. Seems these kinds of people have already taken over the UK and are working hard to take over America. At my job I don't think we are allowed to have any knives with a blade bigger than 2". I know of several co-workers who ignore this rule every single day and it doesn't bother me one bit. One time I even got a nice 8" skinning knife right here at work by trading a big piece of obsidian to a Native American history month vendor who didn't get searched by security.
    That was a good day.

Allium

Senior Keyboard Operator
    Feb 10, 2007
    Luckly at work its kinda expected of me. On the bulletin board beside my desk is a small hunting knife and a tomahawk. The free sog knife is on the keychain with cigar bullet bottle opener.

rondon600

Mar 16, 2009
    Every morning I grab one of my Kershaws, Benchmade, or Spydercos and stick it in my pocket. Almost every day I need or I am watching somebody need a knife to open a package for example. Funny this thread pops up because this weekend for the first time ever somebody said to me, who just borrowed it, who needs a knife like that?!?!?

My favorite is to watch somebody using their key as knife/saw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom