Can an employer not allow a firearm in a vehicle?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bigfoot21075

Ultimate Member
    Nov 3, 2008
    Elkridge, MD
    Can a company in Maryland not allow its employees to have a legal firearm locked in their vehicles in the parking lot? The employee in question does have a wear carry permit in Maryland.

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    Most companies have policies regarding weapons. That policy covers their parking lot as well. I don't think they could have you arrested for having a weapon in your car, but they could certainly fire you for it.

The other aspect is that I have never had an employer search my vehicle. If you don't say anything, how would they know?

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I don't have anything in law that states that, but THEY own the parking lot so you have to play by their rules.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Most companies have policies regarding weapons. That policy covers their parking lot as well. I don't think they could have you arrested for having a weapon in your car, but they could certainly fire you for it.

^this.

And as with most employer rules, they are enforced against underperforming employees where they need an excuse to fire you. The only reason they might care, or even notice, is if another employee complains (unless you go though through security).

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    a grey area is if they lease space in say an industrial park where its a common parking lot for all tenants. If that is the case do not park in front of the company if you do not have to but then you have other worries like vehicle security.

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought a law was passed several years ago that allowed a legally owned gun be secured in a vehicle while the owner was at work (not a company car).

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    Maryland is an at-will employment state. As such, you can be fired for any reason at any time unless there is a contract or a union agreement otherwise.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    In Maryland we all work at will, so they can chuck you for any reason they like (and you can quit for any reason you like). You can tell people not to bring a gun onto your own property, and they can tell you not to bring one to theirs. The only way this gets into legal territory is if they tell you not to, and tell you that if you do it again you're not allowed on the property on pain of trespass ... and then they call the PoPo because you're subsequently trespassing. But by then it's a little academic, because you've certainly already lost your job.

I've certainly done the Sgt. Schultz in some parking lots (clients, vendors) where I'll be if I asked, I'd find out they had an absolutely-no-firearms policy on their property. But I don't ask, and they don't bring it up.

I did once sign an NDA before entering a datacenter I was thinking of using for some server co-lo, and the NDA fine print definitely went beyond the usual "neither of us can talk about the other's stuff" non-disclosure language, and got into everything from food and drinks being a no-no to, yes, absolutely no weapons of any kind on the property, including firearms and knives. When talking to their sales guy, who needed that NDA before I could get a tour of the facility, I plucked the Leatherman multi-tool out of my pocket and said, "If you prevent IT people from carrying these, you're not going to have many customers." He said, "Looks like a tool to me!" I don't think he'd have said the same thing if I'd popped out a .380 from my back pocket, so that stayed in the car (where, technically, it was still naughty, but the hell with that).

KevinK

Ultimate Member
    Jun 24, 2008
    Carroll County, Md
    Can a company in Maryland not allow its employees to have a legal firearm locked in their vehicles in the parking lot? The employee in question does have a wear carry permit in Maryland.

Its a company vehicle, so I would say it is their rules.
    Are you getting it's a company car from the bolded above?

I think it's a personal car the OP means.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom