Can a friend bring her husband's gun to the range?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    Daughter of an old friend of mine wants to take me up on my offer to take (just about) any "first timer to the range on my dime. I'll pay for their range time, lone them my gun(s), and even provide the first box of ammo!

She and her husband own "... a Desert Eagle, a 9mm, and rifle". They were purchased in his name. Can she bring them to the range? (With his knowledge of course.)

No idea why her husband hasn't taught her. Didn't ask. Could be that he doesn't know much more than her. Could be that he "doesn't 'teach' well". (Often the case with husbands and wives.)

Can she bring their 9mm to the range without any legal issues?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Yes. You can loan a firearm to a non-prohibited person. A buddy of mine has one of my 9mm's at this very moment.

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    No idea why her husband hasn't taught her.

Maybe the same reason I have never taught my wife. She thinks if it comes out of my mouth it must be wrong and everything becomes an argument. Of course if one of her half wit, mouth breathing friends tells her the same thing, suddenly it is the gospel. But I digress...

Simple answer to the OP is yes it is OK, as previously stated.

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    When we go to the range, she doesn't like my "suggestions". So I've learned to just keep my mouth shut.
    :)

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    I believe the way the law is worded is that you may lend as long as you are not aware the person you are lending it to is not a prohibited person. If it turns out they are the State has to prove you knew they were prohibited in order for you to be in trouble. I have a DADT policy when I invite friends to the range. The only thing I ask is if they were ever convicted of a felony and can they follow directions.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    ****I've lent out firearms to some of my range friends. When we do IDPA stuff or bowling pin shoots, etc... It is not uncommon to borrow different firearms for a week or so to try out equipment, different sights, handloads in a particular gun, etc... Nobody has ever asked if I owned all of the firearms I regularly shoot. Unless you look like a complete moron at the range - people generally leave you alone.

I've borrowed and lent lots of guns before to and from people I know and trust.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I had a guy I worked with that in the same two minutes of saying he wanted to kill someone asked me to borrow one of my guns:sad20::sad20: I said not only NO but hell no NEVER!:sad20: I wouldn't have lent him my guns prior to the statement but after that...for sure I never would:)

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    its ok for the wife to take her husbands firearms as long she is not prohibited of owning one.

spouses can be hard to teach sometimes.. hell i dont even teach the wife.. lol (she learned to shoot from her uncle).

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    My understanding is that it is legal to loan a firearm to a non-prohibited person. I would never consider it unless I really knew that person well, because if anything happened, you could very likely lose that gun forever. Hat tip to wilcam47 (what's it like living in America again? :))

Also, I understand what you mean about guys often not being able to coach their wife/gf in shooting. There's a fine line between the 'absolutes' of gun safety, giving pointers, and subtly exuding or struggling with the 'balance of power' in an intimate relationship. Generally better to let someone else give your significant other firearms training; be they a man or woman. With kids it doesn't matter so much, assuming the parent/guardian is truly competent and safe. One more point though. With highly skilled and accomplished firearms trainers, I don't find that it much matters, they can teach anyone (relative or not); because they are so good at what they do, it takes away all the other variables. If you find a great instructor, stick with them; I've met several, and have even been paid this supreme compliment on occasion.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    MD SCOTUS said a gratutous loan is legal.

Make sure the firearm is transported to the range according to statute MD 4-203.

(4) the wearing, carrying, or transporting by a person of a handgun used in connection with an organized military activity, a target shoot, formal or informal target practice, sport shooting event, hunting, a Department of Natural Resources-sponsored firearms and hunter safety class, trapping, or a dog obedience training class or show, while the person is engaged in, on the way to, or returning from that activity if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;
    Court ruling attached.

Attachments

• MDSCRuling_on_loan.pdf
      227.2 KB · Views: 85

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    1) Most people who try to "teach" have NO clue about how to teach. In almost every certification for instructors (including NRA) has a required section and testing on how to teach. I was the same, I thought I knew how to "teach" until I wen through various instructor certifications (NRA, NSCA, FAA, etc).

2) Most spouses do not approach teaching as teaching, they "comment" the same way they comment about not having a clean shirt ready. To teach a spouse (and I have done so), you have to go into instructor mode and INSTRUCT.

3) Most people (non-certified or non-professional instructor) trying to teach, actually don't know how to do what they are teaching properly. I see this at ranges all the time, someone who has NO clue about how to shoot, "teaching" someone "how to shoot."

All that said, the best way to teach someone to shoot or similar, is to spend a bit of money and have then taught by a certified/professional instructor. And do this BEFORE they develop (or you "teach" them) bad habits.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    When we go to the range, she doesn't like my "suggestions". So I've learned to just keep my mouth shut.
    :)

My wife does listen a the range. I'm the RSO, qualified NRA handgun trainer and retired Army. She knows I can train and can shoot. In fact she is
    becoming pretty good a 20 feet ..most in the black...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom