• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    This is why I have to listen tongue-in-cheek when people describe how Walmart is taking over the world. They don't even know the first rule of business is not to piss off your existing customer base when you want to change/expand. I can't count the number of department store chains I've seen come-and-go in my lifetime. I think it started to go down hill the day Sam Walton died.

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    I really can't remember the last time I bought ammo at Walmart, and I'm pretty sure that if this crap keeps up, the NEXT time I purchase ammo there will be....oh maybe NEVER. :mad54:

I can't buy from Dick's anymore either. They pissed me off SO bad a few months ago with their horrible customer service, both at the store level and in senior/corporate management.

Luckily I have enough ammo on hand so that I can afford to wait for the big gun shows to roll into town, or place orders with other shooter friends so that the shipping costs don't ruin the value of buying online.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Allright, this is an idea that has been used before and I think someone even mentioned it months ago. Go to the store that refuses to sell ammo without writing down the information in that book, ask for a few hundred dollars of all different kinds of ammo and when they start putting down the info in the book start to balk asking for the manager. The manager shows up and sees a pile of hundreds of dollars worth of ammo on the countertop.
    You tell the manager you recently moved there and you were planning on buying alll this ammo at least once a month because they had the cheapest ammo around, but you will not if they insist on keeping the record in that book. Of course he will refuse so you will not feel obligated to buy the hundreds of dollars worth of ammo, but the message will resonate for long after you leave the store. The lost hundreds of dollars a month in sales from just one customer may even become the basis for the letter to headquarters complaing about the incident.

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    novus collectus said:
    Allright, this is an idea that has been used before and I think someone even mentioned it months ago. Go to the store that refuses to sell ammo without writing down the information in that book, ask for a few hundred dollars of all different kinds of ammo and when they start putting down the info in the book start to balk asking for the manager. The manager shows up and sees a pile of hundreds of dollars worth of ammo on the countertop.
    You tell the manager you recently moved there and you were planning on buying alll this ammo at least once a month because they had the cheapest ammo around, but you will not if they insist on keeping the record in that book. Of course he will refuse so you will not feel obligated to buy the hundreds of dollars worth of ammo, but the message will resonate for long after you leave the store. The lost hundreds of dollars a month in sales from just one customer may even become the basis for the letter to headquarters complaing about the incident.
    That will be the one time that they don't ask to write your info in the book. :)

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    DD214 said:
    That will be the one time that they don't ask to write your info in the book. :)
    Eeeevvven better. Right after that get an African American friend to go in there to buy a $8 box of 9mm and when they demand to record his info, claim racism which will make such a stink that the Washington Post will pick up the story and expose the program.:D

VNVGUNNER

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    Hebron, Md.
    I know this is old, but is this still their policy, I don't shop for ammo there.
    I have yet to be asked for DL anywhere, but then I am old.

navycrna

Smell My Face
    Feb 28, 2007
    howard county
    I know bass pro makes photo copies of my license when I buy black powder for my muzzle loader because they say it is a state reg. but they don't do it for ammunition.

Mike128

Feb 28, 2007
    I was the the one who had trouble with Walmart last year. I called up to coporate headquarters and complained about personal information, ect. Also mentioned that the employee lied to me about it being state law. I still get it every now and again from Walmart but I don't buy much ammo from there anymore.
    It's not state reg to make copies to purchase powder. Call up to the the companies headquarters and write a letter. The employee LIED to you. Let them know how unhappy you are about this.
    I also suggest other people from MD call, even if you don't have a problem. If enough people call then we can stop this. Right now it's a policy. Shortly it will be a law if we don't stop it now.

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    I know bass pro makes photo copies of my license when I buy black powder for my muzzle loader because they say it is a state reg. but they don't do it for ammunition.

Same thing happened to me

I thought that this was true about Walmart keeping your names and info on file, i was told this a few times but never really believed it until now...

wah001

Jan 2, 2007
    Greensboro
    I buy my 45 ACP from Wally World but in Camden DE.

Never had a problem and it's usually the same person each time I go in. I was there today and she saw me and asked how many boxes I wanted but I was just passing through and wondering which rifle I was going to pick up. (Nice lever action Marlin)

But the main reason I shop there is that they are about $5 a box cheaper and I don't pay sales tax on it. :innocent0

SamW

Apr 2, 2007
    Western Md
    I buy WWB 9mm every couple weeks at the Walmart in Lavale and haven't been asked for ID yet or seen any info logged into log books. Maybe its the gray hair? As has been said in previous post there certainly isn't any laws requiring info to be kept.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    The Wal-Mart in Abingdon has been doing it as well for about 6-8 months now, well before the last elections. The ammo log program has been around for many years but the whole idea had seemed to fall into disuse, for some reason now it's come back into vogue with Wal-Mart. I can only wonder if they were "approached" by somebody from the friendly office of Joe Curran with the idea. I think we're going to eventually see Wally World stop selling guns and ammo altogether. They're a corporation, and corporations by nature exist for one thing and one thing only, the bottom line. If you ever want to read a good book about the true nature of large corporations and their inherent need to pursue profit with a complete lack of any social, moral, or true legal accountability, try reading "The Corporation" by Joel Bakan.

I have to admit I'm as guilty as many for putting up with it anyway. With .40 S/W being outrageously overpriced, and the local guys overpricing it even more, $8.99 a box for Blazer Brass .40 seemed like too good a deal to pass up. But I should know better, no more with them. Time to start ordering online for a few bucks more.

Last edited:

RobMoore

The Mad Scientist
    Feb 10, 2007
    QA
    Not that I agree with it, but the way I look at it is this: The state of Maryland already knows I own a 1911, they even know the serial number. Them knowing I buy ammunition for it isn't a big secret.

Also, if Walmart is put on notice that people aren't buying their ammo because of this policy, they won't drop the policy. They will stop selling ammo, like 90% of their other stores.

I'll help the cause and pay the extra $10 to get my 45acp shipped from midway the 2 times a year I'll buy it, but I'll be real suprised if Walmart changes for the better.

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    Not that I agree with it, but the way I look at it is this: The state of Maryland already knows I own a 1911, they even know the serial number. Them knowing I buy ammunition for it isn't a big secret.QUOTE]

My CX4 Storm is not registered as a handgun bc it is classified as a carbine. With it being 40cal in a handgun round makes it very hard for me (20) to purchase ammo for it. I laugh bc they sell me the firearm with no problems and no questions asked, but i cannot buy rounds for it. That being said I dont want Walmart to keep hold of my info when i can buy ammo from them time and time again for my carbine. I dont want the government seeing that i always buy 40cal rounds from Walmart and yet i do not have a registered 40cal handgun in my name. Though I am not breaking the law by hiding an illegal handgun, i just own a firearm that shoots the same rounds, I dont want the Feds getting suspecious about what im doing bc I am doing nothing wrong.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church

I thought it was against MD law to copy a MD driver's license. I worked at a car dealership, and now work at a retail store where we need ID to start new contracts, and both places made it clear that under no circumstance could we make a photocopy of a MD driver's license (or any license like those in VA with your SSN as your license #).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom