• chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I have two as well and they always jibe with each other.
    Good enough consistency for me.
    THANK YOU! It's a pet peeve of mine when people say "jive" instead of "jibe" because they either don't know the difference or have no clue that "jibe" is a word. :lol2:

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I had no idea Mitutoyo even existed.
    They really take measuring seriously as per this breakdown.

They are also big in measurement data gathering and management. For example you can log every measurement and integrate that into spreadsheets or other statistical programs. Very advanced.

chale127

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2008
    Brooklyn, MD
    So...I bought a digital pair from Harbor Freight....friend of mine works in a Defense Contractor Cal lab, for funsies I gave them to him to just to check....They are on the money as they say...

I do keep a Mitutoyo dial type around and compare once in a while just to be sure they don't drift or anything like that

Last edited:

boisepaw

boisepaw
    Jan 5, 2015
    Eastern shore, MD
    If you need to re-calibrate your Mitutoyo I have the little tool to do it. I'll gladly do it for you.
    I'm not sure who you were referring to but I'm the one that got this whole discussion started. I WISH I had a Mitutoyo but mine was more of the Harbor Freight variety. It served me well for all these years but yesterday's drop on the hardwood floor seems to have done it in. I don't know if it can still be salvaged.

See photo...calipers are completely closed and the dial is on .052. I don't know that there is any fix for that.

Note the "Shock Proof" promise in the middle of the dial.

Attachments

• Calipers photo.jpg
      Calipers photo.jpg
      152.5 KB · Views: 28

Rambler

Doing the best with the worst.
    Oct 22, 2011
    I have bought many items from LittleMachineShop.com as well as face to face from them at trade shows. Their Chinesium is of decent quality.
    Here is a link to the calipers they sell:

https://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_category.php?category=1516589126

Look for calipers listed as fractional. These are very cool in that they can read not only in metric and english, but also fractions such as 5/32" or 1/4". This feature is very useful for sorting metal stock, bolts, drills etc.
    I have the cheapest fractional they sell and have used the heack out of it for years in a home machine shop setting. It goes with me when buying metal and used tools.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    I'm not sure who you were referring to but I'm the one that got this whole discussion started. I WISH I had a Mitutoyo but mine was more of the Harbor Freight variety. It served me well for all these years but yesterday's drop on the hardwood floor seems to have done it in. I don't know if it can still be salvaged.

See photo...calipers are completely closed and the dial is on .052. I don't know that there is any fix for that.

Note the "Shock Proof" promise in the middle of the dial.
    Can’t you rotate the dial to zero it?
    eta: I suspect one of those knurled screws can be loosened and the entire dial rotated to zero it and then of course tighten the screw back up.

Last edited:

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Can’t you rotate the dial to zero it?
    eta: I suspect one of those knurled screws can be loosened and the entire dial rotated to zero it and then of course tighten the screw back up.
    Yes the dial can be turned but what about the sliding scale? That's off too

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Can you post a picture of what you’re talking about with the scale on the slide?

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    The largest increments scale marked on the caliper's base, usually whole inches & 1/10 inches. see red arrows.

Attachments

• Caliper scale.jpg
      Caliper scale.jpg
      106.4 KB · Views: 29
    Last edited:

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Oh well, no luck the mity tool won't work with this caliper.
    We had a pleasant visit & I think I was able to help out with his Dillon prep & setup though, so it wasn't wasted.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Still not seeing what the problem is. If the dial indicator works, and can be zeroed, the reference marks along with the reference edge are only to provide 0.1" resolution and the dial does the rest. For example, if 0.6" is indicated by the reference edge with 0 reading on the dial, that's 0.600". Same thing, but 98 on the dial, that's 0.598".

msinc

Mar 12, 2010
    I have several. Mitutoyo is the best I have ever had. I have had excellent luck with the ones Midway sells. I am kinda hard on calipers, so I don't keep the Mitutoyos on my reloading bench. Not that they wouldn't hold up, they probably will...I just would rather not take the chance on messing up an expensive set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom