• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Damn. I am beyond disappointed. I should have known it was too good to be true. I felt that I was one of the 365 and I was counting down to the 7th. I just hope that the 365 is kept in limbo rather than outright denied.

Esqappelleate surmised MSP may just continue to sit on those as pre stay apps were.

guess we'll see.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    BTW, just noticed it was ALL three judges that didn't do their job.

GROSS!

Esq, point of interest and a honest legal question, why are the amci listed for the defendants (appellants) but not for the plaintiffs (appellies)?

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    I bet the MSP is having a party stuffing thousands of envelopes with denial letters as I type.

Cyndi59

Being a armed DC/SPO,I still don't want to go thru my company or have the company I work for involved with a handgun permit in Maryland.I had filled out my paperwork to mail off on the 8th and assuming being armed in Washington,D.c. has no barring on filing to apply for a Maryland handgun permit?

wjackcooper

Feb 9, 2011
    Alice in Wonderland

Once again I am reminded of Alice's conversation with Humpty Dumpty to the effect of; words don't mean what they mean, the only question is who has power.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Bruce_King "It's the utmost compliment to be recommended and supported by Sen. Byrd and Sen. Rockefeller. And the expression of support by President Clinton is the greatest honor of my life."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Gregory After the Senate declined to take up Gregory's nomination, and the 2000 presidential election was already over, Clinton installed Gregory on the Fourth Circuit on December 27, 2000 via the presidential power of recess appointment. Gregory's recess appointment would have lasted only until the Senate recessed at the end of 2001. However, he was renominated by newly elected President George W. Bush on May 9, 2001.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andre_M._Davis On May 4, 1995, President Bill Clinton nominated Davis to be a judge for the U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland.

Regards
    Jack

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    MDS Legal Team:

No doubt that whoever loses in CA4, it is going to be appealed to SCOTUS. Could this be decided by SCOTUS Summer of 2013, or would it get pushed to next year?

That depends entirely on when the 4th Circuit decides the case. A decision in December or early January would leave a little bit of time to get on the calender for this coming term. No much though. Parties seeking cert will undoubtedly first ask for rehearing en banc from the 4th Cir and that likely will consume some time, especially if granted. After a final CA decision, the loser has 90 days to file for cert (although can certainly file earlier) No, I would expect this to be heard in the 2013-2014 term.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    And another thing, for those of us who had our stuff in PRE - first stay, why should we be screwed out of our money when we applied at a time when we were well in in our rights and before any stays? Everyone else got their checks back. And I can understand this go round they stated ahead of time they will not do the same and flat out deny apps, but to screw those who got their stuff in BEFORE a stay and return checks to those AFTER the first stay, that just pisses me off. I'm not blaming anyone on here of course, but that grinds my f*cking gears.

we don't know that yet. We still may be in limbo just as we were before. fingers crossed. MSI will probably let us know.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    Once again I am reminded of Alice's conversation with Humpty Dumpty to the effect of; words don't mean what they mean, the only question is who has power.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Bruce_King "It's the utmost compliment to be recommended and supported by Sen. Byrd and Sen. Rockefeller. And the expression of support by President Clinton is the greatest honor of my life."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Gregory After the Senate declined to take up Gregory's nomination, and the 2000 presidential election was already over, Clinton installed Gregory on the Fourth Circuit on December 27, 2000 via the presidential power of recess appointment. Gregory's recess appointment would have lasted only until the Senate recessed at the end of 2001. However, he was renominated by newly elected President George W. Bush on May 9, 2001.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andre_M._Davis On May 4, 1995, President Bill Clinton nominated Davis to be a judge for the U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland.

Regards
    Jack
    ELECTIONS MATTER! If you think for a minute that they don't, well, you're an idiot (Not you Jack, just the general populous).

csanc123

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2009
    Montgomery County
    ESQ..

How do the oral hearings work with respect to new arguements. Must the defendant maintain course with the arguements made at district or can they come up with new lines of attack?

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    BTW, just noticed it was ALL three judges that didn't do their job.

GROSS!

Esq, point of interest and a honest legal question, why are the amci listed for the defendants (appellants) but not for the plaintiffs (appellies)?
    Cuz, the amici in support of appellees have not filed yet.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    That depends entirely on when the 4th Circuit decides the case. A decision in December or early January would leave a little bit of time to get on the calender for this coming term. No much though. Parties seeking cert will undoubtedly first ask for rehearing en banc from the 4th Cir and that likely will consume some time, especially if granted. After a final CA decision, the loser has 90 days to file for cert (although can certainly file earlier) No, I would expect this to be heard in the 2013-2014 term.
    Which means, if it is in the 2013-2014 timeline (unless someone else beats us there...how's that 7th circuit case coming?) we won't know until June 30, 2014. Considering the wavering of Roberts (coward), I'm not a confident betting man at that point.

Glaug-Eldare

BANNED!!!
    Jan 17, 2011
    Back to waiting for people in black robes to tell us whether or not we have rights that we already know we have.

We've had more luck with the black robes than the red ones! :D

I've gotta say, though, I'm very disappointed. John Kerry came over and asked me, "why the long face?" Does this stay mean that CA4 found that Legg abused discretion but won't say how? Were they not required to judge the request by that standard after all?

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    ESQ..

How does the oral hearings work with respect to new arguements. Must the defendant maintain course with the arguements made at district or can they come up with new lines of attack?

The appellant (the appealing party), cannot make new arguments in favor of reversal not presented to the district court. It can, of course, cite new authorities in support of existing arguments.

Samuel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 12, 2012
    And it is entirely possible that even if we win each appeal on the merits, each of those decisions could be stayed pending the next appeal, all the way till SCOTUS rules. So we could be denied our rights till 2014 on this. Right?

eyesinpines

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm pretty much devastated, and ashamed that I let my heart rule my head!

After ALL the legal explanations about how slowly judicial wheels normally turn and the
    "warp" speed of Judge Legg, to see this stay granted within HOURS makes me want to vomit.

Nothing in this God forsaken State that isn't controlled by liberal demigods. CA4 is clearly pandering to the state and CLEARLY serving the interests of our Government not it's citizens. I think Gura could have saved his time and submitted a couple blank sheets of paper...it would have been treated with the same dismissive lack of consideration!

I HATE Maryland and I'm done....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom