• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drewhall

May 29, 2009
    Maryland
    That is terrible. That's always my biggest fear about natural disasters, losing things that just aren't replaceable.

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    That's tough. I hate to see when folks lose everything in these wildfires. I have a friend who's son lost his place in Colorado in the big fires they recently had. He was next door neighbor to the couple who got burned up.
    At least this guy got out with his life.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Everyone needs to remember that most commercial gun safes are only rated for 30 to 60 minutes of fire exposure. If you want better fire protection your going to need a better safe and enough safes to secure your entire collection.

I just got home from Baltimore where I picked a Remington Rand file fire safe. Member Safecracker is moving his shop and everything must go! While the safes he has for sale are not gun safes anyone with a little carpentry skill can easily convert them. Add a little paint to the outside and you have a safe that will keep your collection secured.

K.C.Dean

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Buds Creek
    That is sad heirlooms are priceless regardless what the actual values are. I lost everything in a fire when I was in the navy. My roommate got drunk, passed out and left a candle burning. He was burnt over 2/3 rds of his body. I wasn't there but everything I owned was destroyed.:sad20:

spclopr8tr

Whatchalookinat?
    Apr 20, 2013
    TN
    The sad thing about MD is that should this occur after 1 OCT, our elected officials have DECIDED we aren't ALLOWED to replace our regulated/banned firearms as long as we are MD residents. I'll be voting with my feet when it's time to retire.

Loss of heirloom firearms is tragic, but at least there wasn't a loss of life.

somddude

Has a big Member
    Mar 14, 2010
    Brandywine, Marylandistan
    As I remember, in some areas of CA, you can't clear any brush around your home under penalty of law. Its one of the reasons why they lose so many homes and businesses to wildfires. Gotta save the environment. :sad20:

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Really, really sad :(

It makes a strong argument tho on why it's worth buying a safe with exceptional fire protection and spending a little more up-front given it could be the last barrier between fire and most financially-prized and sentimentally-prized items/documents/media/etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom