• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Lotsa good guns made after 1965. I'm waiting for C&R Pythons, Smith 52 and 41, just to name a few. And the first half of the 20th century is chock full of stuff I'd like. Early FNs, Mausers, Berettas, and a slew of Euro stuff I never knew existed, all await my hard charge to bankruptcy.

As long as most folks eagerly await the latest Glock, and continue to ignore the interesting designs and careful craftsmanship of 50 years ago, There will be plenty of pickings out there. It's not just ex-military, at least not for me.

When President X and the conservative Congress super-majority repeal the NFA, all those ex-Vietman M16s will hit the market. The folks who dropped $15K on their MP5 will be annoyed, but the rest of us will enjoy the fruits of victory, in fine full-auto splendor.

Just hang in there. The future is full of surprises, some of them good.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Lotsa good guns made after 1965. I'm waiting for C&R Pythons, Smith 52 and 41, just to name a few. And the first half of the 20th century is chock full of stuff I'd like. Early FNs, Mausers, Berettas, and a slew of Euro stuff I never knew existed, all await my hard charge to bankruptcy.

As long as most folks eagerly await the latest Glock, and continue to ignore the interesting designs and careful craftsmanship of 50 years ago, There will be plenty of pickings out there. It's not just ex-military, at least not for me.

When President X and the conservative Congress super-majority repeal the NFA, all those ex-Vietman M16s will hit the market. The folks who dropped $15K on their MP5 will be annoyed, but the rest of us will enjoy the fruits of victory, in fine full-auto splendor.

Just hang in there. The future is full of surprises, some of them good.

Don't Bogart that joint, my friend...

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    You could let it expire. Wait a month+, then start over with a clean log. I believe another member or two has done this.

good guy 176

R.I.P.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    At $30 for 3 years, what's the disadvantage to having the FFL-03?
    just curious what folks think...

(other than the obvious temptation / compulsion to spend too much).

A few disadvantages that I experienced were: an unannounced visit/inspection at my home one morning about 10 years ago by two ATX babes out of the Baltimore office. At the time I had used the license exactly ONCE and was completely surprised by that VISIT. They never gained access, never looked at my records nor asked to see the rifle I'd purchased. Those two reviewed some C&R procedures with me, on the street in front of my home, and I signed a paper acknowledging the visit. Still have it in my file. I've never heard of anyone getting an unannounced inspection.

A few years later I got a call from an ATX agent in the Midwest and he wanted to verify that I'd sold a particular M1 Carbine to someone I surmise he was auditing. Gave him what he wanted to know and that ended that.

I renewed once but dropped the license in 2011. And I found that it was too easy to overdue the purchasing with the C&R in hand. I now buy C&R pieces regularly and transfer them at low cost with a Baltimore FFL.

Don't miss the license one bit and I no longer have ATX pestering me. Folks, they are not our friends!

Lew--Ranger63
    US Army (Ret-'84)

Last edited:

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    no winding down here. My only decision is if I'll let it expire next year then re-apply, or to just simply renew.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    If nothing else, a C&R is convenient. You can ship guns by UPS. And yes, there are some good post-war firearms becoming C&R.

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    I think I bought everything I wanted to with my C&R the first month or two I had it. I haven't used that thing in many years since. I renewed one time but that will be it for me. The story about the ATF visit a few posts above this is enough to convince me.

TapRackBang

Cheaper Than Diamonds
    Jan 14, 2012
    Bel Air
    The story about the ATF visit a few posts above this is enough to convince me.
    I'm not sure what about that apparently rare and harmless visit would be enough to keep you from getting a C&R. If the MSP started visiting 1 out of every 1000 ordinary gun buyers to go over gun safety procedures with them would you surrender your 2A rights completely? :shrug:

My C&R expired a few months ago. I'll renew it before Summer is gone as the $10 a year it costs is well worth the benefits. :thumbsup:

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    I'm letting mine expire at the end of the month, need to pay off what I already "own". I never looked at my purchases as investments, just picked up what interested me and that is fortunate because I've yet to make money on a purchased C&R. :lol2:

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    The sooner people keep talking about loop holes in the C&R regulations and how firearm records will no longer be available, the sooner the Antis and the ATF can swoop in and change the regulations.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Yeah, I want some of whatever he's smokin'!

I'm high on the Power of Positive Thinking.

It's in short supply these days, though, especially around here. So far as I know, it's the only palliative against BGOS. I'm giving it a try; so far it's working.

As has been said by others, "Don't harsh my mellow"!

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    At $30 for 3 years, what's the disadvantage to having the FFL-03?
    just curious what folks think...

Although I plan to keep current until I leave the state (working on it), my primary concern has always been that it provides the feds with more personal/firearm info than they have–in my opinion–a need to know. And, as most here're aware, when it comes to the current government, anything you tell them can be used against you.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    This thread prompted me to call the ATF and ask about the timing of sending my change of address form. The CS rep didn't seem to think it was a big deal. He suggested I just wait until settled in before sending the form as they didn't want an FFL going out to the wrong address. I guess that makes sense. I specifically asked if they cared that the address would be incorrect for a period of time and "Dan" just said "no big deal."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

airsporter

Apr 28, 2011
    Western MD
    This thread prompted me to call the ATF and ask about the timing of sending my change of address form. The CS rep didn't seem to think it was a big deal. He suggested I just wait until settled in before sending the form as they didn't want an FFL going out to the wrong address. I guess that makes sense. I specifically asked if they cared that the address would be incorrect for a period of time and "Dan" just said "no big deal."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only issue you may encounter is that other FFLs will only ship to the address printed on your license.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom