• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    Experts,

I have a chance to buy a C&R handgun from another member. The meeting would be taking place in Pennsylvania and we are both Maryland residents of legal.

My question:

The handgun in question was purchased by the seller by doing standard paperwork and a 7 day wait. I do not believe it was needed, but that is what it was done as.

Can he legally sell it to me as a C&R firearm if he did standard paperwork on it in Maryland, or will we need to do it through an FFL and I use my C&R there?

Thanks if anyone can give advice.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    IF the transaction is out of state, C&R applies as with a C&R you are the FFL. In this case no 7 day wait is necessary as the transaction takes place outside of MD. If the transaction occurs in MD it must go through an FFL01 (Dealer) and is subject to the 7 day wait.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    IF the transaction is out of state, C&R applies as with a C&R you are the FFL. In this case no 7 day wait is necessary as the transaction takes place outside of MD. If the transaction occurs in MD it must go through an FFL01 (Dealer) and is subject to the 7 day wait.

Thanks Mopar. I wanted to make sure before I went ahead and did it. I had not encountered this situation in the past.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    If it's C&R you can do it for ten bucks at a MSP barracks. Seven day wait, of course, but no need for a HQL. You won't need your C&R, which is essentially inop in MD.

The Pennsylvania thing is a grey zone.

Jul 1, 2012
    This comes up a lot; probably nobody cares about my opinion but the ability to bring a C&R handgun into Maryland on your FFL-03 is specifically because you are "importing" it into the state (see the AG letter floating around).
    Since it's already registered IN the state (regardless of where it is physically transferred) it's not being "imported" and thus would need to go thru a MD FFL-01.
    However, you could have the seller transfer it to an FFL-01 in PA on their book, and then have them transfer to you on your FFL-03 (That's not a straw purchase).

If you do MD-to-MD transfer direct it would be in your bound book that way which may be problematic down the road.
    (typical argument - "but MSP can't audit a FFL-03's books" - riiight).

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    This comes up a lot; probably nobody cares about my opinion but the ability to bring a C&R handgun into Maryland on your FFL-03 is specifically because you are "importing" it into the state (see the AG letter floating around).
    Since it's already registered IN the state (regardless of where it is physically transferred) it's not being "imported" and thus would need to go thru a MD FFL-01.
    However, you could have the seller transfer it to an FFL-01 in PA on their book, and then have them transfer to you on your FFL-03 (That's not a straw purchase).

If you do MD-to-MD transfer direct it would be in your bound book that way which may be problematic down the road.

How would the MSP know if either party didn't tell them and the transfer took place out of state?

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    How would the MSP know if either party didn't tell them and the transfer took place out of state?
    Not particularly is it about what MSP knows or doesn't know...

I agree with somd - its a grey zone for a direct ffl03 to ffl03 outside of MD between two MD residents.

If ATF audits either one, the question may be raised of whether MD law was followed upon seeing such a transfer.

IMHO and IANAL, ffl03 was created to allow interstate transfer of c$r. A transfer between 2 MD residents, regardless of transaction location, may just fall outside that scope.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County

I don't have to deal with this nonsense, as I'm not a MD resident, but SOMD Mustangs makes good points: it's going to have to be logged into the recipient's Bound Book as a sale from another owner in MD, and that seems to be murky water.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    It has always been my understanding that 2 residents of the same state can meet in another state to conduct a C&R transfer of a handgun.

The problem is that the state laws and federal laws are not the same.

My other confusion would be why the ATF would care about Maryland transfer laws as long as the laws are not broken on a Federal level.

To me, if you have a C&R FFL and are receiving a C&R eligible firearm, there should be no issue at all on a Federal level.

Jul 1, 2012
    It has always been my understanding that 2 residents of the same state can meet in another state to conduct a C&R transfer of a handgun.
    As long as state law of the RESIDENTS doesn't prevent it. [27 CFR 478.93]

Here's an example: you can't go to PA and legally transfer a standard-barrel AR-15 or an AK-47 between 2 MD residents and then come back to MD with it to circumvent MD law.
    No one here would ever call that legal (I hope).

The problem is that the state laws and federal laws are not the same.
    True enough. State law overrides federal in this case.
    "But I'll be in PA, MD can't touch me" - until you cross back into MD.

My other confusion would be why the ATF would care about Maryland transfer laws as long as the laws are not broken on a Federal level.

To me, if you have a C&R FFL and are receiving a C&R eligible firearm, there should be no issue at all on a Federal level.

They probably don't and there probably isn't. But MSP surely cares, and there's definitely cooperation between ATF and MSP (remember the VA FFL that caused early morning visits by MSP?).

It doesn't matter if MSP "knows" about the transfer at the time or not - if they DO find out at some point you could be hosed.

Remember in this particular case the handgun is already registered in MD so they know it exists "in MD" and thus it
    IS NOT BEING IMPORTED INTO MD
    (which is the qualification for direct transfer to FFL-03 per AG letter and also per the "sole intent" of the FFL-03 at the federal level).

The state law and importation-only seem to be pretty compelling to me but do what you will...

CasualObserver

Who Observes the Observer
    Apr 27, 2012
    Maryland Born Now in Vermont
    I have posted this before, but will throw in my 2 cents again...
    Yes, meeting out of state could become muddy becuse it could easily be construed as intentionally skirting the law. On the other hand, coincidentally happening across another fellow MD FFL03 while out of state seems perfectly fine to me.

EX- MDS1 puts a C&R pistol in the classifieds. MDS2 wants to buy it. They make arrangements to meet just over the state line in PA to swap pistol, cash and FFL03 copies. Froshiepoo may have reason to try to prosecute due to the intentional meet-up out of state.

EX#2: MDS3 is at a gun show in Chantilly/York/etc with a C&R pistol for sale. MDS4 also has an FFL03 and wants to buy it. They exchange the pistol, cash and FFL03 copies. There was no intent on skirting any laws and the transaction legitimately took place outside of MD. I believe Froshiepoo would have a much harder time successfully proving intent.

IANAL

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    My personal opinion is that a transfer between 2 MD residents of a c&r is legal, but very grey. I have had offers to meet out of state but always just paid up th $10 to MDSP. It's cheaper than driving 40 min to an hour to get out of state and far cheaper than lawyer fees to fight it out in court should an issue arise. My pockets aren't so deep as to play with potential fire. And then there is also the issue that IANAL and could be wrong. For that matter, everything being grey and this being MD, it would be easy for a lawyer to be wrong about what a court may find. FYI, just because you did a 77R doesn't absolve one of making an entry into their 03 FFL book.

Jul 1, 2012
    I have posted this before, but will throw in my 2 cents again...
    Yes, meeting out of state could become muddy becuse it could easily be construed as intentionally skirting the law. On the other hand, coincidentally happening across another fellow MD FFL03 while out of state seems perfectly fine to me.

EX- MDS1 puts a C&R pistol in the classifieds. MDS2 wants to buy it. They make arrangements to meet just over the state line in PA to swap pistol, cash and FFL03 copies. Froshiepoo may have reason to try to prosecute due to the intentional meet-up out of state.

EX#2: MDS3 is at a gun show in Chantilly/York/etc with a C&R pistol for sale. MDS4 also has an FFL03 and wants to buy it. They exchange the pistol, cash and FFL03 copies. There was no intent on skirting any laws and the transaction legitimately took place outside of MD. I believe Froshiepoo would have a much harder time successfully proving intent.

IANAL

Unless you're a Clinton, intent has nothing to do with whether something is legal or not :)

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I'm inclined to follow sxs's line of thinking on this. No point in pressing the issue and possibly exploding C&R for the entire MD population with a court case. How rare would a gun have to be to make this worthwhile?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom