• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doctortoxic

The Dose Makes The Poison
    Apr 18, 2019
    CalvinBallistan
    Ok y’all convinced me to sign up. It’ll be my first ever 2-gun match so hopefully I don’t noob it up too much. I’ll be bringing my Swiss K31 and my CMP Colt M1911/A1 from 1943.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Definitely looking like the IDF / Operation Nickel Grass M16A1 clone is the winner. The Galil shot pretty good, too, but it was pretty clear that having a 3x optic to fall back to was a big advantage.

Red1917

Apr 13, 2017
    Anne Arundel County
    Ok y’all convinced me to sign up. It’ll be my first ever 2-gun match so hopefully I don’t noob it up too much. I’ll be bringing my Swiss K31 and my CMP Colt M1911/A1 from 1943.

Great, that should tons of fun to shoot.

Reminder there is another opportunity for everyone to come practice before the match on 6/1

Definitely looking like the IDF / Operation Nickel Grass M16A1 clone is the winner. The Galil shot pretty good, too, but it was pretty clear that having a 3x optic to fall back to was a big advantage.

That A1 is fantastic. I’d take that to any match

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    "But what if I don't have a holster for my Nambu or C96? Or...maybe my original holster is leather, fragile, and worth more than the gun...or it just sucks? Do I need to use a period correct holster anyway?"

Good question! In the past, the match designers have done a great job of planning the stages so that your pistol can actually be safely prestaged in a designated "dump box" where you need it. You'll either shoot rifle first, then dump the rifle then go pick up your pistol or vice versa. In any case, you won't actually need a holster (just a case to safely transport it unloaded to and from the line). I'd be willing to bet that will be the case again, but I'll let the designers confirm.

Also, there are a few modern options that I've discovered work for old guns.

20230519_114625.jpg

An Enfield No.2 revolver will fit nicely in a SpeedBeez Ruger SP101 holster (for the 4.2" barrel). I would assume other brands would work, but I can't confirm that personally. I think there is a pretty good chance a Webley (whichever mark # is the .38-200...that looks just like the Enfield) might, too. If anybody has one and wants to try, I'll have my holster at the match. We should be able to try it out at the safe table.

A 1917 will fit in a CompTac holster for a S&W N-Frame. The barrel sticks out a bit from the 5" model. It was suggested that I just cut it down...but I haven't gotten around to that yet. ;). I had to squish the retention adjustment down a lot, but it works great.

A Browning Hi-Power fits in a Blade Tech 1911 holster. My holster is for a 1911 with a rail. I'm not sure if that makes a difference. Also, my BHP has very crisp edges on the trigger guard. They scrape material off of the holster, which may result in progressive reduction of retention. I don't know if a dedicated BHP holster would not suffer the same fate...I assume it still grips the trigger guard in the same way :shrug:

That's all of the old guns in new holsters I have at the moment :o. Anyone else have suggestions?

I bet something could be carried nicely in a Ruger American holster (I know they handle Caniks, S&W Shield EZ, S&W39, and probably a lot of other thickish guns, depending on how you mess with the retention.)

Red1917

Apr 13, 2017
    Anne Arundel County
    "But what if I don't have a holster for my Nambu or C96? Or...maybe my original holster is leather, fragile, and worth more than the gun...or it just sucks? Do I need to use a period correct holster anyway?"

Good question! In the past, the match designers have done a great job of planning the stages so that your pistol can actually be safely prestaged in a designated "dump box" where you need it. You'll either shoot rifle first, then dump the rifle then go pick up your pistol or vice versa. In any case, you won't actually need a holster (just a case to safely transport it unloaded to and from the line). I'd be willing to bet that will be the case again, but I'll let the designers confirm.

Good post Art. Yes, we will plan for pistols to be staged if you don't have an appropriate holster or don't feel comfortable using it.

The UM84 holster will hold lots of full size pistols, P38s, Tokarevs, 1911, Hi power. Maybe a Luger but I haven't tried it

Red1917

Apr 13, 2017
    Anne Arundel County
    how many do we have confirmed for c&r manual right now?

Also are we paying on arrival?

It looks like we actually have 10 shooters in manual (including me), we are pretty evenly split between all 3 divisions. Yes please bring cash to pay on arrival.

One more chance to get some practice this Thursday night 6-8pm if anyone needs it

Doug33w

Aug 22, 2010
    Sykesville, MD
    Maybe I missed it, is there a suggested round count for rifle & pistol for the match? How rifle and pistol targets per lane? Want to make sure I have enough ammo for my Garand. Thanks!

Red1917

Apr 13, 2017
    Anne Arundel County
    Maybe I missed it, is there a suggested round count for rifle & pistol for the match? How rifle and pistol targets per lane? Want to make sure I have enough ammo for my Garand. Thanks!

Good question, expect there to be about 10 targets plus or minus a few for each firearm depending on the stage, so overall about 40 pistol hits and 40 rifle hits for the whole match. We recommend people bring double that just to be safe

EODJoe

Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Jan 15, 2013
    Carroll County
    I was hoping to make it to this match but my son wants to go to the WWII weekend in Reading and Sunday is my only day off. Good luck to all the participants!

jjones88

Apr 4, 2013
    Sykesville
    Thanks to all for coming out today. Hopefully everyone had a good time.

Also for all of you who dressed up and went through the heat, you all rock.

Always one of our favorite events to run, look for the next one in the winter.

Red1917

Apr 13, 2017
    Anne Arundel County
    Yes I’ll second that! Hope everyone had a good time. If you have any suggestions for future matches feel free to let us know.

Hopefully we’ll see some good pictures and videos from today if anyone has some

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Thanks to all for coming out today. Hopefully everyone had a good time.

Also for all of you who dressed up and went through the heat, you all rock.

Always one of our favorite events to run, look for the next one in the winter.

Yes I’ll second that! Hope everyone had a good time. If you have any suggestions for future matches feel free to let us know.

Hopefully we’ll see some good pictures and videos from today if anyone has some
    Thanks to both of you for making this happen. It all seemed smooth as silk from what I saw. And, agreed, much respect to those in uniform! :bowdown:

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Here's the overall win run of stage 1:

Here's my worst run of the day, on stage 2:

TBH, this was a pretty great match for me. 1,5,2,2 is excellent placing for me. Thank G-d Austin was shooting manual. :P

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom