• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • houserocker

Guero Loco
    Jan 14, 2008
    Laurel, DE
    Whats the deal with a C&R and the one gun a month rule? I just filled out the paperwork for the purchase of a S&W Mod. 64 today. Does that mean I have to wait 30 days until I can order a SKS with my new C&R?

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    It depends on where you buy your SKS. If you buy it in Maryland I believe the 30 day rule applies.

You should get the designated collector paperwork done, it's free and exempts you from the 30 day rule....

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Whats the deal with a C&R and the one gun a month rule? I just filled out the paperwork for the purchase of a S&W Mod. 64 today. Does that mean I have to wait 30 days until I can order a SKS with my new C&R?
    The one in in thirty days rule applies ONLY to regulated firearms. The SKSs that are C&R (without detachable mag) are not MD regulated firearms and so therefore anyone legal can buy as many C&R SKSs as they want.

If you use your C&R to purchase handguns from out of state and have it shipped to the license on your address, then I have been told over the phone by the MDSP at the licensing division the one in thirty days does not apply. I assume this is because the one in thirty days only applies to purchases within the state and using your C&R to buy from AIM surplus is buying from out of state.
    HOwever, originally I was skeptical of this and I got my MD designated collector status so I can buy more than one of any regulated firearm in thirty days anyway.
    If you have any doubts about also buying more than one C&R handgun in thirty days from an outside of the state source, then just get the designation as a collector from the state to put your mind at ease.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Yeah, you should be ok.

Also, get that Collector paperwork filled out. It takes literally 2 minutes, and then you'll never have to worry about the 30 days ever again!

coinboy

Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Howard County
    Designated collector status.

Yeah, you should be ok.

Also, get that Collector paperwork filled out. It takes literally 2 minutes, and then you'll never have to worry about the 30 days ever again!

It's a shame we can't get a status that excludes from the stupid 7 day wait.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    OK, I'm thick. 30 days for a C&R or 30 for any regulated h/g?

Just waiting on my C&R forms to arrive.
    A C&R Federal Firearms License is not the same thing as the MD designated collector status.

The "designated collector status" means the state recognizes you as a collector and you can buy more than one regulated firearm in thirty days within Maryland whether it is C&R or non C&R.

So to answer your question, getting the state designation means any regulated handguns and any number of them can be bought within the thirty day period.

Remember for the state form you have to get it notarized. That only costs a couplle of bucks.

coinboy

Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Howard County
    A C&R Federal Firearms License is not the same thing as the MD designated collector status.

The "designated collector status" means the state recognizes you as a collector and you can buy more than one regulated firearm in thirty days within Maryland whether it is C&R or non C&R.

So to answer your question, getting the state designation means any regulated handguns and any number of them can be bought within the thirty day period.

Remember for the state form you have to get it notarized. That only costs a couplle of bucks.

Don't forget the 30 day wait also includes "assault rifles." So if you don't have the State designated collector status if you buy an AK-47, you can't buy another "assault rifle" or handgun for another 30 days.

There is an exception to the rule other than the designated collector status. You can buy 2 handguns/"assault rifles" at the same time, but you have to fill out special paperwork and you wont be able to buy another for 60 days.

It's a great idea to be a designated collector because you never know when you might have wished you had it.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Don't forget the 30 day wait also includes "assault rifles." So if you don't have the State designated collector status if you buy an AK-47, you can't buy another "assault rifle" or handgun for another 30 days.

There is an exception to the rule other than the designated collector status. You can buy 2 handguns/"assault rifles" at the same time, but you have to fill out special paperwork and you wont be able to buy another for 60 days.

It's a great idea to be a designated collector because you never know when you might have wished you had it.
    There are also another exception for buying two or more regulated firearms at once. Buying in bulk regulated firearms in an estate sale is also possible.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Gotcha. Found the form and it mentions C&R. I guess I'll get the C&R then MD designated collector.
    Get them both at the same time. YOu do not need to have a collector's license to be designated a collector by the state. There are a few people on this board that are designated collectors that do not have a C&R license.

Aquakeeper

Feb 23, 2008
    Harford County
    Where can u find the forms to apply for the MD Designated Colloctors Permit?

I am waiting on my C&R papers as well but figure if I can get the ball rolling on that too then cool.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Where can u find the forms to apply for the MD Designated Colloctors Permit?

It is not a permit per se, it is just a designation or recognition by the state you are a collector. All they do is to put your name in a system and send you a letter telling you they did so once you pass the criminal background check.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    nexgen98

Latest threads

Top Bottom