• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dave

Ultimate Member
    Jul 10, 2008
    Gamber, Marylanistan
    gave up searching. Can someone please confirm where the HQL enters into the process? Say I buy via gunbroker, it gets transferred to a local ffl, is it at this point I need to do the HQL stuff via the MD website?

only ask because I should have HGP approved Monday/Tuesday but I'd like to get something ordered this weekend. getting antsy lol.

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    When it gets transferred, AFTER you've coordinated with the receiving FFL, you go online and start the transfer form. You will need an HQL at that point.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    gave up searching. Can someone please confirm where the HQL enters into the process? Say I buy via gunbroker, it gets transferred to a local ffl, is it at this point I need to do the HQL stuff via the MD website?

only ask because I should have HGP approved Monday/Tuesday but I'd like to get something ordered this weekend. getting antsy lol.
    Check with your FFL and see if they will hold it for you while you wait on the HQL

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Yes that's when you need your HQL. You could talk to the FFL you plan on using and let them know it may be a few weeks and make sure it's not an issue for them. Once you get your HGP, you can request an HQL but I'm not sure how long that will take.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    You'll pay shipping and the FFL transfer fee of like fifty bucks. Cheaper to buy locally
    That’s not usually the case by a decent margin. But I’m sure that can vary especially on lower priced guns.
    If you can find what you want locally!
    That is the reason I first bought online. Then I realized how much money I saved. I still supported my local gun shop until he retired.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    Waiting for my HQL to get approved. Can I still make a purchase without it and pick it up when it’s approved?
    You can begin the process (completing the Form 77-R online) without the HQL Number, but you can't complete and submit the 77-R until you have that HQL ##. Most FFL's won't take your money and tie up their inventory until you show t hem:

a) your HQL (letter)
    b) your 77-R application number and PIN
    c) yor cash or credit card.

Remember, that dealer may lose business if someone else tries to buy that same handgun and it's tied up waiting for your HQL.

dagoose383

Oct 4, 2022
    Port Republic
    Similar question so hopefully I can piggyback on this thread. (First time buyer so sorry if this is a no brainer)

If I order a handgun from a dealer’s site, do I have to wait until it arrives at their shop to do all the paperwork and start the waiting period, or can that stuff be done early so that shipping time and waiting period run concurrently?

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Similar question so hopefully I can piggyback on this thread. (First time buyer so sorry if this is a no brainer)

If I order a handgun from a dealer’s site, do I have to wait until it arrives at their shop to do all the paperwork and start the waiting period, or can that stuff be done early so that shipping time and waiting period run concurrently?
    You have to wait until it arrives. The transfer process cannot actually begin until the actually FFL receives it.

You can start the 77r in advance, but it is not actually submitted until the FFL fills out their part and you pay the state the $10 fee.

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air

You can do the electronic 77R in advance, but that really doesn't do anything. The 7 day wait doesn't start until the FFL submits all the paperwork.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    You have to wait until it arrives. The transfer process cannot actually begin until the actually FFL receives it.

You can start the 77r in advance, but it is not actually submitted until the FFL fills out their part and you pay the state the $10 fee.
    Bolded is correct. As long as you have your HQL, you can fill out a 77r in advance. That way, if you happen upon a gun in a store you like and want, you can begin the process and 7 day wait, right then and there.

By the way, you do not need to produce your HQL "letter". The FFL only cares about your HQL number.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    You'll pay shipping and the FFL transfer fee of like fifty bucks. Cheaper to buy locally
    Unfortunately that isn't the case for a lot of used guns.

For newly manufactured , readily available , common or semi common guns , it usually takes a really screaming deal online to beat the point spread on shipping and transfer .
    Older , discontinued , unusual , or brand new just introduced , with more demand than supply , you have to locate where you can locate .

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom