• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pwilliams1

Apr 25, 2013
    I think I've settled on a S&W 686 based soley on reviews and videos I've seen. My question for everyone is what to look for whether buying new or used? Are the certain things I should watch out for?

I'm thinking I want a 3 or 4 inch barrel. It will be strictly a range gun with use out in the woods of WV maybe once or twice a year.

In your opinion, what would be a reasonable price, and if anyone sees one at a gun shop around central MD I could check out that would be great.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Id buy a revolver with a barrel longer then 3" if its going to be a range or target gun. The smaller barrels are better for carrying, but longer barrels are easier to shoot and more accurate IMHO.

If you plan on doing some handgun hunting in Maryland, you need a barrel of at least 6 inches.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    3"-4" barrel is ideal for up-close HD/SD. I've not seen any new ones for sale in central MD for months. Going price range right now is $750-$900 depending on the model, not including the higher-end PC stuff.

aquashooter

Apr 17, 2013
    Monkey Co
    I bought a used 686 4" from Sil Spr Atlantic. I shoot once a week and I love it. It is circa 1987 and does not have an internal lock. Make sure there is no cylinder play in all 6 positions. I bought 64 from another dealer just prior and could not use it as a trade-in. 3 of the cylinders were slightly off with timing.

GoGoGadget

Deplorable Member
    Mar 10, 2011
    A.A.Co. and Carteret Co. NC
    I've been on the prowl for a 686 or pretty much any 357 revolver for a couple weeks. None to be found in central Maryland at the moment.

Free state does have a gp100 and a nice colt king cobra as of yesterday, though.

Pwilliams1

Apr 25, 2013
    Thanks everyone. The gun would not be used for hunting at all. Possibly home defense once I'm as comfortable with shooting it as my autos.

Whitty Whit

Mar 20, 2013
    I got a Taurus 608 used for a really good price. I did a couple of things to remove some burrs and polish the trigger etc. but it is really nice and accurate. Plus it has 8 shots vs. 7 in the 686.

If the 686 wasn't double the price of the Taurus I found I might would have bought that.

aquashooter

Apr 17, 2013
    Monkey Co
    Only the 686+ has 7 rounds. The regular 686 has a standard 6 round cylinder. I still think the 686 is the best wheel gun I've ever owned. I bought mine used and it was only $650 from a dealer.

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    The 686 is the way to go IMO. The 686+ is awesome as it adds an additional round, but if you are looking used, I wouldn't worry too much about it being a 6 vs 7 shot. The 586 may also work if you find one, as it is essentially the same gun. The 620 may also suit you, as its design is similar...if you are looking used, including the 586 and 620 may yield more results.

Now the problem here is one which is great but terrible...the guns are stupidly reliable, people hold on to them, there aren't many on the used market relative to how many are made, and used prices tend to be not far off from new ones.

Given carry isn't in the mix, I would look for a 4-6 inch barrel length. Both are good for home defense, and the 6 inch is a more accurate shooter. 2-3 inch is more carry-design...ammunition doesn't perform quite as well as it can with a longer barrel and the decrease in sight radius + greater recoil often means they are more difficult to shoot. If you want it for deep woods protection, chances are you would load it with a hunting round from a company like DoubleTap...if that is the case, those rounds will perform better from a longer barrel, especially 6 inch...and if you are shooting a larger animal, the impending penetration increase from the greater velocity is at least worth some consideration. Also, shooting .38s through a 6 inch wheel gun has amazingly low recoil and the greater sight radius of a 6 inch can give quite a gain in accuracy.

Also, if you find a Ruger GP100 for a good price, it may be worth consideration. The trigger isn't quite as good when brand new, but used triggers really break into a sweet spot and the durability of the GP is unquestionable.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    686 is a great choice. Tack driver out of the box. I would highly recommend one. I would go longer than 3, go with 4 or 6.

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    If you can find one, look for its forebear, a model 66 in nice condition. They kick butt for their size and weight and their DA triggers are generally super nice.

101combatvet

BANNED!!!
    Dec 7, 2011
    One word comes to mind when I think of a wheel gun... Smith&Wesson. ;) I would go with nothing less then a 6 inch barrel. Used guns hold their value but if you have time to look around you can find bargains. When looking for a used gun look for excessive wear which may be an indication of the amount of use it has had. What else? A few things but here is a guy that explains it beyond well... you probably don't have to take it to this level but just reading it gives more knowledge then the average behind the counter guy. Check it out.

http://thefiringline.com/Misc/library/Revolver-check.html

101combatvet

BANNED!!!
    Dec 7, 2011
    Except for revolver collectors (like me), 6" and longer barrels are a tough sell, especially used. The vast majority of average buyers prefer revolvers with 2" to 4" barrels.

Maybe, my collection is 6" or longer. A 6" has more uses in my opinion... for a CCW I wouldn't even think of a 686.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    Thanks for this thread. I also am in the market for a 357 revolver.

I saw the S&W 686 but my other candidates are the Taurus 608, 66, 65, or 627, or the Ruger GP100.

How are the Taurus revolvers in 4" barrel?

I bought a 686+ as my first wheel gun, it is outstanding! I have the 4" barrel and I am very happy with it, however if you are using it outside a few times a year might I suggest the 6" barrel. I only shoot my 686+ at my local indoor range and we have it available for HD if needed.

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    How are the Taurus revolvers in 4" barrel?

QC varies wildly. Some are great. Most are so so. Some are junk. Many develop dangerous timing problems not worth repairing. DA trigger pull is generally bad. Resale value is miserable. Customer service is spotty. Repairs can range from a few weeks to several months with no updates along the way.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    If not looking for self-defense (and even being a wheel gun guy, there are better things now for self defense), the longer barrel 6-8" is better. Longer sight radius and more importantly IMO: more mass where its needed most! At the far end, where it can REALLY help recoil. More rotational inertia also keeps the sight picture slower / less jittery. My 6" GP100 shoots way nicer than a 4". So if not trying to conceal it, longer is way better for 357+ sized revolvers.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I suggest you go for the 6" barrel. It's likely you'll be happier with it. It just makes an awesome range gun, very pleasant to shoot, and accurate, too.

6" is better than 4". Size does matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom