• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Not sure if it has been asked yet, but If can't buy harvested meat, why can I buy crabs, oysters, fish? Seems kinda strange to me.

I'll trade you venison for oysters...:brows:

:D

But seriously, bigfoot44(and others) made a good point. Meat tastes different within a species, depending on diet. A whitetail from the eastern shore will taste different than one killed in Garrett County.

Wild turkey tastes 100 times better than Butterballs in my humble opinion.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Depending where you're located, there is a pretty convenient option for getting unusual meats in this area: A butcher shop in the Del Rey section of Alexandria, VA sells all sorts of stuff. It's called "Let's Meat on the Avenue" because it's located on Mt. Vernon Avenue. Just call ahead to make sure they have in stock what you want to eat. They'll order just about any species for you if they don't have it in their freezer.

Let's Meat is a great shop. I used to buy from that guy all the time when I was running the kitchen at O'Connell's in their heyday.

Alternatively, Wegman's carries a broad line of game meats now, in stock reasonably priced for what it is. Same goes for the Giant store in Urbana. Not as broad a selection, but boar, venison, and duck are always available from what I've seen.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Yes , wild turkey tastes 100 times different from Butterball . BUT genetically more or less Wild turkeys raised on farms is an actually thing . ( Shooting/ hunting Partner #2 's next door farm does/ did raise them . ) Haven't had the opportunity to taste test one yet .

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    You can get live pheasants from Zucovich game farm (google it). The USPS will deliver them. I have used them for dog training.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Not sure if it has been asked yet, but If can't buy harvested meat, why can I buy crabs, oysters, fish? Seems kinda strange to me.

Because market hunting in the United States lead towards many species nearly being made extinct. Market hunting would also likely drive a huge expansion of poaching.

There are currently a lot of overfishing issues with fish, oysters, etc. as well as poaching with those too.

Also livestock raising on land tends to be more viable than fish and oyster farming (which are also done and in a lot of areas you can’t, say, harvest wild oysters, but you could farm them).

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Because market hunting in the United States lead towards many species nearly being made extinct. Market hunting would also likely drive a huge expansion of poaching.

There are currently a lot of overfishing issues with fish, oysters, etc. as well as poaching with those too.

Also livestock raising on land tends to be more viable than fish and oyster farming (which are also done and in a lot of areas you can’t, say, harvest wild oysters, but you could farm them).

This. Chesapeake Oysters are at around 1% of their historical population. Most of the ones we eat now are farmed. Crabs and oysters are slowly starting to come back due to water quality improvements related to stormwater/ag runoff control. Fisheries are heavily regulated but from what I can tell, we're heading toward some species extinctions in our lifetimes soon. Many land animals were hunted to extinction all over the world. One example: Daniel Boone hunted buffalo in PA, MD and VA in the 1760s.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    This. Chesapeake Oysters are at around 1% of their historical population. Most of the ones we eat now are farmed. Crabs and oysters are slowly starting to come back due to water quality improvements related to stormwater/ag runoff control. Fisheries are heavily regulated but from what I can tell, we're heading toward some species extinctions in our lifetimes soon. Many land animals were hunted to extinction all over the world. One example: Daniel Boone hunted buffalo in PA, MD and VA in the 1760s.

Yup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom