• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DanseMacabre

Jun 11, 2023
    Glen Burnie, MD
    You gotta get rid of them unless you have document that states ownership prior to 2013

The only other option is to keep them stored out of state.
    So it's legal to own prohibited long guns as a MD resident if they were purchased when not a resident & remain stored out of state, but I can't buy the same gun holding a MD drivers license outside of the state & store/use it in that other state where it's legal.

This whole dilemma is schizophrenic. Wish I had a law license. If I did, I would endlessly pick apart these harebrained unconstitutional laws & file suits to be rid of them.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Sorry was talking about a banned MD firearm. Quite frankly, I'd be surprised if any out of state FFL would risk their license by selling an MD resident a gun without shipping to an MD based FFL. The MD laws are so convoluted, it's hard enough for MD folks to stay on top of them - let alone any from outside.

PS - I've had 2 MD FFLs tell me something that was just wrong. I called them to try and understand the law better - I figured calling 2 would hedge my bets against incorrect information - I was wrong.
    It’s usually big box stores and larger dealers who are rigid in their no-MD policies. Most small FFLs I know are willing to take the time to determine if something is legal to transfer to an MD resident. They generally transfer manually operated firearms without needing to question it, but will check the MSP determinations for semi autos.
    So it's legal to own prohibited long guns as a MD resident if they were purchased when not a resident & remain stored out of state, but I can't buy the same gun holding a MD drivers license outside of the state & store/use it in that other state where it's legal.

This whole dilemma is schizophrenic. Wish I had a law license. If I did, I would endlessly pick apart these harebrained unconstitutional laws & file suits to be rid of them.
    Yes, federal 1968 GCA.

You could buy it with an MD DL if you were a dual resident of another state while you were residing in that state though.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    No you can't do this legally. You can't buy weapons forbidden by MD in MD, and you can't buy them outside MD because the FFL can't sell them to you; he has to transfer them to a MD FFL, who will refuse to break the law for you.
    Handguns, yes they have to go through a MD FFL, rifles and shotguns, nope, can be bought at any FFL in America so long as it is legal to own in MD.

You want to enjoy these things, move to America.

If you had the foresight, you could have had many of these items had you purchased them before October 2013. Once MD's anti-2A laws a quashed by SCOTUS, that may change. Depends on your expected lifespan.

Send money to MSI (Maryland Shall Issue) and also join them. They're our best hope to win back lost rights.
    He may not have been of age back in 2013, and I will echo the join MSI.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I don't think you can buy a MD-forbidden long gun outside the state and bring it in legally. IANAL though.
    As a Maryland resident you can't buy a banned long gun at all, out of state.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    True, but he did instruct Md State Popo to stop denying applicants. If it had been a leftist in the governor's mansion, they'd have ignored the SC ruling or thrown up some other legal obstruction like they do in every other state. Is this not correct?
    Only after the MD Supreme Court reversed direction on state precedent, leaving him no choice, and the same precedent would have left any other Governor no choice, regardless of what they thought of the SCOTUS decision.

I've been watching a lot of 2A advocacy channels on youtube the last couple years & that sounds about right to me.
    It depends who you watch, not all of them know what they are talking about.

I'm going for my CCW as we speak & fully expect if I wait much longer I'll lose my chance. I desperately need it as I'm in an extremely dangerous line of work, one subject to constant robberies & carjackings. Being able to carry will lift a huge weight off my shoulders.
    Get this done sooner rather than later.

Holdsclaw50

Oct 20, 2020
    That why it's very important to know the laws of states before you purchase a weapon. I went on the Maryland handgun roster before I purchased a Mossberg shockwave online. I sent it to my FFL dealer and because of a few numbers, I had to send it back and reorder a new one. Always double check.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    That why it's very important to know the laws of states before you purchase a weapon. I went on the Maryland handgun roster before I purchased a Mossberg shockwave online. I sent it to my FFL dealer and because of a few numbers, I had to send it back and reorder a new one. Always double check.
    The Mossberg Shockwave is not a handgun. It never was.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    The Mossberg Shockwave is not a handgun. It never was.
    MD considers it a handgun under state law for state regulatory purposes, so roster and HQL.

There’s also the Heritage Rough Rider with the 16” barrel that MD considers a rifle for state purposes, but it’s federally a handgun. It took a bit of back and forth with MSP for my friend to figure out how to transfer that one.

coinboy

Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Howard County
    MD considers it a handgun under state law for state regulatory purposes, so roster and HQL.

There’s also the Heritage Rough Rider with the 16” barrel that MD considers a rifle for state purposes, but it’s federally a handgun. It took a bit of back and forth with MSP for my friend to figure out how to transfer that one.
    Cash 'n carry?

MattFinals718

Nov 23, 2022
    Arlington, VA

Basically. One thing I'm not so sure about: I'm not sure if it's possible to buy a tactical rifle that is banned in MD, but is convertible to a non-banned configuration, provided that the FFL themselves does the conversion work before they transfer the weapon to you. Example: MD resident buys an FN SCAR from a VA FFL, the FFL replaces the flash hider with a muzzle brake to make the rifle MD-compliant and then sells to the MD resident.

I owned several AR-15 lowers and uppers in VA before I moved to MD, and I did barrel swaps on several of the uppers at Engage Armament before I moved here. (Obviously, I only brought the uppers, sans BCG and CH, to Engage, not the entire gun.)

DanseMacabre

Jun 11, 2023
    Glen Burnie, MD
    Basically. One thing I'm not so sure about: I'm not sure if it's possible to buy a tactical rifle that is banned in MD, but is convertible to a non-banned configuration, provided that the FFL themselves does the conversion work before they transfer the weapon to you. Example: MD resident buys an FN SCAR from a VA FFL, the FFL replaces the flash hider with a muzzle brake to make the rifle MD-compliant and then sells to the MD resident.

I owned several AR-15 lowers and uppers in VA before I moved to MD, and I did barrel swaps on several of the uppers at Engage Armament before I moved here. (Obviously, I only brought the uppers, sans BCG and CH, to Engage, not the entire gun.)
    Thanks for responding!! Wow, again, more great info. I want FN SCAR too but had no idea it could be done like that. Probably won't be getting one too soon given the insane price tags but now that I know it's an option, I might squirrel away a few dollars in a SCAR fund jar lol.

And yeah I plan to learn these laws forwards & backwards. Reading through these forums has been a real eyeopener for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom