• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    And will buy a conversion kit to convert from one to another. The frames are the same, correct? So, it's just a matter of a slide, barrel, spring and maybe mags?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    yes, but you will need the slide, as the extractors are different.

are both guns gen 4?

not sure about different generations.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    And will buy a conversion kit to convert from one to another. The frames are the same, correct? So, it's just a matter of a slide, barrel, spring and maybe mags?

Frames are the same, magazines are different, I'm damn near positive the slide is the same but you might want to change extractors but I'd just do a dedicated slide, and definately different barrels.
    The O.D. Of the barrels are the same I believe so the slide should be a go in that aspect.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    yep, use a separate slide due to extractor differences.

not sure about mixing generations. you will need different magazines

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    good to know. my Glocks are gen 3

Yeah the front where the guide Rod/spring assembly is is larger on the gen4's so it won't fit into the frame of the gen 1, 2, or 3
    Gen 4 on the right

Attachments

• image.jpeg
      image.jpeg
      55.6 KB · Views: 247

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Thanks! Any recommenations on a source for the extra slide?

Watch eBay, I've seen a few on there at different times. Gunbroker will have some from time to time but searching for them specifically on there seems to bring up a lot of other stuff to look through.

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    If you don't want the expense of a separate slide, an extractor swap takes about a minute to do, and it's a $20 part. That's what I do with my G30 slide when running the 29 conversion barrel and it works just fine.

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    that will work too.

It's just another option to consider. For those that can afford to buy a dedicated conversion slide/barrel/extractor setup, by all means go for it, then it's simply a magazine swap and you're ready to go, but the price of Glock slides these days is getting downright ridiculous, in some cases it approaches the cost of a whole gun..:sad20:

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    I am going to derail my own thread, but i am getting mixed reviews, all internet, on the G29 and its ability to handle the 10mm. What do y'all say?

I'm not sure I understand your question correctly... the G29 is 10mm, and yes it can handle 10mm just fine. Now, if you were going to feed it a steady diet of the most Nuclear loads you can find, like Buffalo bore 220 gr. for example, expect it to wear out faster than normal, but for standard 10mm loads, ehh... no problem, the Glock won't even break a sweat..:D

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Yeah the front where the guide Rod/spring assembly is is larger on the gen4's so it won't fit into the frame of the gen 1, 2, or 3
    Gen 4 on the right

BTW, subcompact Glocks use the same recoil springs across generations. Subcompacts all had the dual springs from the beginning. Gen 3 and Gen 4 Glock 29s use part #SP 08063. I haven't played around with different generations of them, but I'd think that the slides would interchange since they should all have the same fat front ring.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    G29 can handle 10mm fine. Even Boutique level loads. The shorter slide doesn't potentially become a factor until really, really * adventuresome * handloads.

Depending on the context of what you're reading, they might be pointing out the velocity loss with 3.8in bbl vs 4.6in bbl .

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Was looking into this very thing, have had a G30SF for a long time, wanted a 10mm conversion. To be "factory reliable", you need a slide assembly, ejector and mags, maybe a spring if you shoot hot stuff. Gunbroker occasionally has gen 3 slide assemblies for about $375, gen4 around $400, add a $25 ejector/trigger housing assembly that will need to be swapped(easier to swap than just the ejector housing alone), then add 3 mags, and you are within $100 of a brand new gen 4, or about the same as a clean used pistol. So basically not worth it, unless you want adifferent configuration like an aftermarket longslide, you own one and are avoiding a HQL or any other crap gun law. I solved the problem by purchasing a clean used G20SF with a barrel length better suited for 10mm, for under $500.

What you CAN do is try a 45-10mm conversion barrel in a G30 and a couple 29 mags, under $200, reliability is hit or miss, so the 10mm shouldn't be used for more than a range toy, and you can likely sell the barrel and mags to someone else to try. You could use a heavier spring and shoot 45 super (aftermarket barrel too if you want to reload the brass), and get just about the same power as 10mm, or use a 460 Rowland conversion to beat 10mm. Or just pick one or the other and be happy, they are both great pistols and great calibers. In the shorter barrel 45 with it's lower pressure is more efficient than 10, so there really isn't a huge difference in power with top factory 45+p and even warm factory 10mm loads, but 10mm handloads or something super hot like Underwood give 10mm more of an edge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom