• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dizzle

Jan 27, 2018
    I bought a complete lower that comes with an adjustable stock (Ruger 8516) But I didn't buy an Upper for it yet. Can I change the stock to a shockwave blade and make it into a pistol configuration or am I stuck leaving it like it is?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Then make sure it is transferred as "other" . If FFL insists on rifle, either walk away or no pistol. It's better if you figure this out before hand.

Dizzle

Jan 27, 2018
    It is legal to be transferred for whatever use it is intended for right? I can use the stock on one of my ar15s at home and just put a shockwave blade on the complete lower...

Do I have to get an HBAR pistol upper? Any suggestions for a super reliable 10.5 inch complete upper?

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    It is legal to be transferred for whatever use it is intended for right? I can use the stock on one of my ar15s at home and just put a shockwave blade on the complete lower...

Do I have to get an HBAR pistol upper? Any suggestions for a super reliable 10.5 inch complete upper?

The dealer is obligated to transfer a firearm as it sits. A receiver with a buttstock is an “other” and must be transferred that way on a 4473. A receiver may be built into a pistol as long as it didn’t start life as a rifle.

CodeWarrior1241

Sep 23, 2013
    Lutherville
    Related to this - does the stripped lower, if sold as a pistol (waiting period, etc.) - require the owner to have an HQL in order to actually be built as such? I saw both answers in prior threads, wanted to clear that up... Wouldn't make sense that the HQL is required, but MD laws have never ceased to surprise me before.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    What Nate said.

A stripped ( or complete ) Lower is not sold as a "Pistol" . It is sold as "regulated" , using 77R, 7days , etc . HQL is NOT required .

( There is no statatory basis to require a 77R , but this is Maryland, and MSP does what they do. But lawsuits aren't cheap, and must be prioritized . )

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    The dealer is obligated to transfer a firearm as it sits. A receiver with a buttstock is an “other” and must be transferred that way on a 4473. A receiver may be built into a pistol as long as it didn’t start life as a rifle.

What Nate said.

It doesn't matter if the lower has a stock on it. It can not legally be a rifle until it has all of the defining physical characteristics of a rifle, one of which is a rifled barrel.

Until that lower has both a shoulder stock and a rifled barrel on it at the same time it is not a rifle.

As long as you don't put a barrel on it first, you can take it home, take the stock off, and build a pistol out of it.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Related to this - does the stripped lower, if sold as a pistol (waiting period, etc.) - require the owner to have an HQL in order to actually be built as such?

No. You only need an HQL to buy a pistol, not to possess or make one. The lower is an "other," and not a pistol, so you don't need an HQL to buy it.

You can make all the pistols you want by yourself and not need an HQL. You only need one to buy a pistol.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    OP, you seem to be walking the line. I'd be careful of your wording. Only because tour asking for advice without full disclosure of your final firearm. Your wanting to build a pistol? You'll toss the buffer tube,buffer and stock.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The only potential "line" I see from the OP would be if ATF has still another Advisory Letter about brace thingies. Buying a complete Lower, and removing a stock, and replacing with pistol type buffer tube is legit .

Dizzle

Jan 27, 2018
    I had originally planned on making a rifle similar to the Ruger AR556 MPR but it is illegal in MD so I decided to find a complete lower (Ruger 8516) which comes with the Ruger 4.5lb 2 stage trigger as well as some Magpul furniture.

I want to buy a 300BLK upper that is probably 8.5 inches long and build this thing into a pistol first using a shockwave blade and kak buffer tube (I have heard it's a nice snug fit) The whole thing comes together in a KAK SHOCKWAVE PACKAGE...I would like to use this as a hunting option for larger game as it's light and packs a punch not losing much velocity in a small barrel.

Anyway, if you have any suggestions at all for a complete 300BLK upper (8-9") or 556 upper (16"-18") to use that is reliable and inexpensive please share some links. I am completely unable to find much at all...

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    No suggestions on 300 aac uppers, but there are plenty of them out there. Make damn sure the transfer reads "other" and make damn sure you build it into a pistol first. It is illegal to convert a rifle into a pistol unless that rifle actually started out as a pistol.

Dizzle

Jan 27, 2018
    Will do outrider! Thank you very much for the advice... I will take pictures of the entire process and keep them in a safe place.

I had originally planned on making a rifle similar to the Ruger AR556 MPR but it is illegal in MD so I decided to find a complete lower (Ruger 8516) which comes with the Ruger 4.5lb 2 stage trigger as well as some Magpul furniture.

I want to buy a 300BLK upper that is probably 8.5 inches long and build this thing into a pistol first using a shockwave blade and kak buffer tube (I have heard it's a nice snug fit) The whole thing comes together in a KAK SHOCKWAVE PACKAGE...I would like to use this as a hunting option for larger game as it's light and packs a punch not losing much velocity in a small barrel.

Anyway, if you have any suggestions at all for a complete 300BLK upper (8-9") or 556 upper (16"-18") to use that is reliable and inexpensive please share some links. I am completely unable to find much at all...

Check Palmetto State Armory for a .300 BO upper. I have a 8.5" one and like it.
    Make sure you get the shockwave first, or at least remove the stock and buffer first- don't want to have a rifle lower and <16" barrel together at the same time (illegal SBR if assembled)

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    +1 for PSA, also check Primary Arms. They run specials all the time. Engage Armament in Kensington has Hbar .223 barrel often. They could build you something too. Check them out in the "Industry Partners " part of the forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom