• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wynnstudio

"Member"
    Feb 15, 2011
    Parkville, MD
    So I'm cheap when I can get away with it. I'm thinking of getting a centerfire systems PSL parts kit and receiver. This would be my first time building a rifle but I'm "relatively" mechanically inclined. I love to build things and tinker. I have a workshop with with a floor sized drill press and most tools I suspect I will need.

Is the cost savings worth it in the end?

thanks
    Wynn Studio

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    It all depends if you wish to affix a bayonet...

You will get an operable bayonet lug with the kit.

You will get an inoperable ground-off bayonet lug when you buy the rifle from Century.

wynnstudio

"Member"
    Feb 15, 2011
    Parkville, MD
    If you dont shoot it well or it does not work well... Building one takes away the excuse of blaming stuff on the the nice folks at CAI.

Well thats the other part, the ones I see for sale are CAI or don't use the PSL style furniture. Fear of spending $700+ for a poorly done gun or one that isn't "correct" style.

wynn studio

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    So I'm cheap when I can get away with it. I'm thinking of getting a centerfire systems PSL parts kit and receiver. This would be my first time building a rifle but I'm "relatively" mechanically inclined. I love to build things and tinker. I have a workshop with with a floor sized drill press and most tools I suspect I will need.

Is the cost savings worth it in the end?

thanks
    Wynn Studio

You really won't save money if you build it yourself, but the pride you can take in saying you built it is worth alot more than the cost of the rifle.

Mark

wynnstudio

"Member"
    Feb 15, 2011
    Parkville, MD
    I was looking at some build threads and it looks like I will need a 12 ton press. My wife saw the page open for presses and said "I've been wanting a press" :party29: She makes jewelry and I didn't know when she was in school she had access to one. I always like a two for :D

wynn studio

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    I thought CAI didn't build the PSLs, but only imported them and stamped their name on them. Aren't they built in Cugir (spelling?) Romania?
    That was the only reason I was going to buy one. lol

Sirex