• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • roady

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2012
    Eastern Shore
    Has anyone here used this tool for gutting a deer? It looks pretty slick if it works as shown. Here is a link to one from Amazon and few Youtube videos.

http://www.amazon.com/Hunters-Speci.../ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I am sure this thread is going to be filled with some wild and crazy comments but would like to know if anyone has used one for dressing a deer and not in the bedroom!!!!!!!

Alright ready set go....

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    Who gets to clean the butt out?

It's not that hard to cut around the anus. I used to watch an old Florida rancher stick his finger in there and cut around it. If you screw up you introduce some nasty germs into your cut finger.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Who gets to clean the butt out?

It's not that hard to cut around the anus. I used to watch an old Florida rancher stick his finger in there and cut around it. If you screw up you introduce some nasty germs into your cut finger.

Which is why you don't shove your finger up a deer's A$$.

As for cleaning the Butt Out, let the juicy butt particles dry completely. Then cut the dry butt particles off the tool with a sharp knife. I like to disinfect the tool with one cup of bleach and 3 cups of water in a one quart plastic container. Let it sit overnight and it will eat what ever butt bits are left on it.

roady

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2012
    Eastern Shore
    OK I ordered one now I just need a victim to try it on. Any volunteers LOL... I am taking my daughter hunting for the first time next weekend so hopefully we will get a chance to try it out. Helped a buddy last night with a large ten pointer and if this works as planned it would have been a little neater and quicker.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Also works if you ever have to get information out of someone who doesn't want to give it to you. Put this in front of them on the table and continue the discussion :)

Which is why you don't shove your finger up a deer's A$$.

As for cleaning the Butt Out, let the juicy butt particles dry completely. Then cut the dry butt particles off the tool with a sharp knife. I like to disinfect the tool with one cup of bleach and 3 cups of water in a one quart plastic container. Let it sit overnight and it will eat what ever butt bits are left on it.

:lol:

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I use them, they work great! All of my hunting buddy's have them too

One thing though, get 2 of them. If one of the arrow tips breaks off of it for some reason they wont work as good. Amazon just delivered a new one for me yesterday.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I pull butthole in the other direction. BTW, those things work great on hemorrhoids.

Major Major

Feb 19, 2013
    Frederick Co
    I used one last weekend. Did what it was supposed to. I am not too experienced so i ended up sawing the pelvis anyway because i could not seem to get the gut loose from inside the cavity. I probably didnt cut his dingle off correctly

roady

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2012
    Eastern Shore
    I am glad that I started this thread. Kids are like what are you laughing at again. If they only knew.... I am totally shocked this wasnt started from one of the few that already have them.

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    I see it as a waste of money and time when gutting. If you pop the pelvic bone when gutting, then pull everything from the chest down. It all comes out the back end with the butt attached.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I don't see the need for this tool. A sharp knife and proper technique is all I have ever used. I have learned however that a good knife sharpener is also a great tool to have in your game bag. I had to gut 3 deer in one day and by the time I finished the third deer, I needed another knife or a sharpener. After that, I have always kept a good sharpener in the bag. But if you like the tool, by all means use it. Anything to make the task easier is what it's all about.

Jim Smith

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    meh. I've tried it a couple times. Nothing beats a sharp knife and two fingers.

I have started using Havalon knives. Basically they are scalpels, with replaceable blades, in camo.

But do whatever works for you. Some people cut the pelvis (I don't) some people cut the ribs (I do).

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    meh. I've tried it a couple times. Nothing beats a sharp knife and two fingers.

I have started using Havalon knives. Basically they are scalpels, with replaceable blades, in camo.

But do whatever works for you. Some people cut the pelvis (I don't) some people cut the ribs (I do).

I cut the ribs all the way up to its throat and I cut the pelvis too. I also carry three knives with me. A large fixed blade buck and two very sharp folders.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I don't see the need for this tool. A sharp knife and proper technique is all I have ever used. I have learned however that a good knife sharpener is also a great tool to have in your game bag. I had to gut 3 deer in one day and by the time I finished the third deer, I needed another knife or a sharpener. After that, I have always kept a good sharpener in the bag. But if you like the tool, by all means use it. Anything to make the task easier is what it's all about.

Jim Smith

:thumbsup: I use my Buck 110 for all my dressing. It's a great butthole knife and it blows right through the sternum. Save the tip for fleshy work and the deeper part(near the fold) for splitting the sternum. I also carry a small set of crock sticks if a touch-up is needed. I say all this in agreement with you, Jim. I know you know what you're doing.:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom