BUT WHEELWEIGHTS ARE A WASTE OF TIME.. WAAAHHH!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    Are wheel weights or "free" lead still out there? I am finally getting to get all my reloading gear ready to go (hopefully fully setup in two months) and casting my own bullets for 223 , 9m and 12g slugs is on my list.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Not sure I'd cast for 223 but the rest sounded good.

They seem to find them for free out there. I've been faced with buying it for 2 bucks a lb which has been what's kept me away from casting so far.

If I can find a good source its on like donkey kong!

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Are wheel weights or "free" lead still out there? I am finally getting to get all my reloading gear ready to go (hopefully fully setup in two months) and casting my own bullets for 223 , 9m and 12g slugs is on my list.

Yes and no. You can buy rendered wheel weights, if you cannot find them locally. Even buying the lead alloy you can come out ahead.

Some shops will sell their weight bucket, but you need to look at what you are buying. As stated before, enviro (non lead, zinc, steel) wheel weights are becoming more prevelant. If the bucket of weight that someone is selling you has a bunch of these in it, then barter the price, and let the seller know why. You'd be surprised how many shops are unaware that wheel weights arent always lead alloy.

Some shops will give away the wheel weights to get it out their way. I have a few shops that save the wheel weights for me. They know what I do with them, and think thats a big reason why they do save it. They are all gun friendly folks. Down in the central part of the state, you might not have the same results.

Last edited:

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Yes and no. You can buy rendered wheel weights, if you cannot find them locally. Even buying the lead alloy you can come out ahead.

Some shops will sell their weight bucket, but you need to look at what you are buying. As stated before, enviro (non lead, zinc, steel) wheel weights are becoming more prevelant. If the bucket of weight that someone is selling you has a bunch of these in it, then barter the price, and let the seller know why. You'd be surprised how many shops are unaware that wheel weights arent always lead alloy.

Some shops will give away the wheel weights to get it out their way. I have a few shops that save the wheel weights for me. They know what I do with them, and think thats a big reason why they do save it. They are all gun friendly folks. Down in the central part of the state, you might not have the same results.

Are you familiar with the lead used in stained glass windows? My landlord has a pile of it that he got years and years ago off a job site in D.C. He used to cast his own fishing weights with it but hasn't done it in a few years.

Is there a way to tell if it's to soft to use as is? Eventually I want to start casting. If I can score some room in his garage I'll give it a go.

If the weather is nice, no rain or anything, can you cast outside, or at least render scrap lead to ingots?

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Are you familiar with the lead used in stained glass windows? My landlord has a pile of it that he got years and years ago off a job site in D.C. He used to cast his own fishing weights with it but hasn't done it in a few years.

Is there a way to tell if it's to soft to use as is? Eventually I want to start casting. If I can score some room in his garage I'll give it a go.

If the weather is nice, no rain or anything, can you cast outside, or at least render scrap lead to ingots?

We had neighbors when I lived in Montgoco that did stained glass. That lead is very soft, and probaby is pure lead. That would be good lead for muzzeloader bullets. Pure lead can be hard to comeby these days!

For handgun and rifle rounds, it may be too soft to use as is. You can however harden it, by adding antimony, and tin. You can also harden it by adding linotype, which is higher in tin. Linotype is not easily found, as it was once used in the printing industry, for type setting. You can still find it on Ebay.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    We had neighbors when I lived in Montgoco that did stained glass. That lead is very soft, and probaby is pure lead. That would be good lead for muzzeloader bullets. Pure lead can be hard to comeby these days!

For handgun and rifle rounds, it may be too soft to use as is. You can however harden it, by adding antimony, and tin. You can also harden it by adding linotype, which is higher in tin. Linotype is not easily found, as it was once used in the printing industry, for type setting. You can still find it on Ebay.

Based on how easily I could tear a piece off I thought it may be pure or near pure. I'll check it out when I am back home. It has been sitting behind his shed for so long it has all kinds of vines and growth over it.

If I stay in Maryland after this job ends, I'll ask him if I can take a little space in his garage to give casting a try.

I'm not going to invest in the gear until I know what I'm doing though.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Based on how easily I could tear a piece off I thought it may be pure or near pure. I'll check it out when I am back home. It has been sitting behind his shed for so long it has all kinds of vines and growth over it.

If I stay in Maryland after this job ends, I'll ask him if I can take a little space in his garage to give casting a try.

I'm not going to invest in the gear until I know what I'm doing though.

You may want to pick up a copy of this book:

Cast%20Bullet%20Lg.jpg

The 4th edition is the lastest. It covers the fundamentals, as well as how to make certain alloys, and a ton of cast bullet data for rifle & handguns. It also has load data for other manufacture molds (Lee, RCBS) but not for every single mold out there. Its a good read, and great resource to have if you load cast bullets.

Another good resource is this one which is free:

http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Contents.htm

You can download a free pdf version of that "book" as well. Its on the upper left of that page. Right click the link and "Save As" to your destination.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    You may want to pick up a copy of this book:

Cast%20Bullet%20Lg.jpg

The 4th edition is the lastest. It covers the fundamentals, as well as how to make certain alloys, and a ton of cast bullet data for rifle & handguns. It also has load data for other manufacture molds (Lee, RCBS) but not for every single mold out there. Its a good read, and great resource to have if you load cast bullets.

Another good resource is this one which is free:

http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Contents.htm

You can download a free pdf version of that "book" as well. Its on the upper left of that page. Right click the link and "Save As" to your destination.

I planned on picking up a book when I am home next. I'll keep an eye out for that one if you recommend it.

I downloaded the Fryxell book but prefer to have an actual "book" when the time comes to start getting into it.

Polecat

R.I.P.
    Feb 4, 2008
    Southern Maryland
    I planned on picking up a book when I am home next. I'll keep an eye out for that one if you recommend it.

I downloaded the Fryxell book but prefer to have an actual "book" when the time comes to start getting into it.
    I can help you when you get back. It is fairly simple but you must be very careful! Start with the book first, PM me for ????

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    I can help you when you get back. It is fairly simple but you must be very careful! Start with the book first, PM me for ????

I'll hit you up when I am back. I am reading the book I downloaded off and on.

I just figured I would try to pick up some scrap lead somewhere and then see about getting gear and asking for help.

I'll take you up on the offer for sure. I figure if I don't like it, getting rid of the lead won't be a problem at all!!

I thought starting out by rendering lead down into blocks would be a good way to get my feet wet and see if it's something I would get into.

Polecat

R.I.P.
    Feb 4, 2008
    Southern Maryland
    I'll hit you up when I am back. I am reading the book I downloaded off and on.

I just figured I would try to pick up some scrap lead somewhere and then see about getting gear and asking for help.

I'll take you up on the offer for sure. I figure if I don't like it, getting rid of the lead won't be a problem at all!!

I thought starting out by rendering lead down into blocks would be a good way to get my feet wet and see if it's something I would get into.
    PM me you just don't render it down without knowing a few things first.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    It won't evaporate. Roc, I will help you shoot some of those waste wheel weight bullets tomorrow.

Do you still have your Beretta SA 45 Colt? You should bring that thing one time, so we can see how standard pressure 45 colt rounds prints with it. That way you can get started loading that round with those waste of time wheel weight bullets. 45 colt is pretty straightforward to reload for.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    MELTING WHEEL WEIGHTS - AGAIN?

Hey, DCR, when are you gonna throw in the towel and stop wasting your time on those things? Come on, admit it. They are totally worthless for gawds sake. :sad20: Geez, if you'd just give it up think about how much time you'd save - not to mention the cost of lube, primers and powder you'd save. Dayum, man...I guess you'll just never learn...

Besides, you don't even know the percentage of alloy in that crap. Keep in mind, if you don't blend in melted goat hairs mixed with rust from an old Jeep bumper flavored with cocoa mix (at least 3% of each), any CB's you shoot will cost you even more in supplies to repaint your spinner!

Seems like we just can't talk you off the ledge...

:innocent0

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    Do you still have your Beretta SA 45 Colt? You should bring that thing one time, so we can see how standard pressure 45 colt rounds prints with it. That way you can get started loading that round with those waste of time wheel weight bullets. 45 colt is pretty straightforward to reload for.

Yes, I still have my Beretta as well as an A.W.A in 45 LC that I had at the range today. I will try to remember to bring them both next time. I would love to load some of those waste of time wheel weight bullets. As long as you remember that 3% is 3% and does not evaporate. I hope to get my reloading room set up while I am on vacation, however moving furniture with my bum arm is challenging.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Marty S.

Latest threads

Top Bottom