• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    -The last month has seen lots of substantial collections come to auction very late in the year, much later than normal. And while I have been busy starting down the road of re-homing the collection, I still can't stop looking for those last few bucket list items and maybe the rare bit of found unobtanium. Over the last month I've added an eye-opening four new items to the not-so-rapidly-shrinking collection.
    -This thread has an old bucket list item. I've got an early Springfield 1903, a 1903 Mark I and a pair of 1903A3s. But missing was an early war Remington 1903. Ran across one in a VA auction recently that just spoke to me. It was listed as having the hallmarks of a Marine Corps example but I was skeptical. But I liked it and the price at the start of the auction was well below what market for a decent Remington fetches. So I put in a proxy bid and it sold to me for my max.
    -It's a bit of a mystery but I'm sure SmokEaterPilot will step up to clarify things. The mystery is who installed the 1944 dated Sedgley USMC marked barrel. I strongly doubt it was the Marines, don't see any of the features you'd expect like electropenciled SN on the bolt. Besides, this puppy dates to early '42 so a rebuild would have come later in the war and I'm sure most MC reworks would date earlier to '42 or '43. The Stock shows a Raritan arsenal rework but I can't be certain that the stock is original to the gun. Best guess is an Army rework or it was done post war by a civilian as Sedgley barrels were very available. May never know for sure.
    -At least the inspector mark is right for the SN and all the small parts are Remington "R" marked. The barrel is pristine, has the potential to be a good shooter. And I found a near new oiler with pull through in the stock. Sling is commercial, would be nice to find a better replacement but this one will do nicely for now.
    IMGP9838.JPG

IMGP9861.JPG

IMGP9862.JPG

IMGP9839.JPG

IMGP9844.JPG

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    A Remington 1903 would have been manufactured most likely during 1942 before transition to the '03A3. It must have been re-barreled either by the arsenal shown as part of the normal practice with the barrel simply the next in line for use or possibly by a Marine armorer at the depot level. It might never have left the country and used for training due a lack of M1 rifles for basic training use or used in a combat theater...no way of knowing. I think your surmise it's an arsenal rework is correct.

What you have is a very uncommon 1903...one built to complete 1903 specs...not the later 1903 (Modified) which are much more common with time, cost and machining shortcuts but less than the '03A3 mods. The way of telling is the flats on the sides of the receiver under the rear sight. Those are lightening cuts which on the modified 1903 were done away with and left round.

Even if it is a rework and not completely as original it's a not often seen version of the 1903 rifle. Congrats on the find.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Beautiful rifle.
    Congrats!

I am lacking an early 03 but I am trying to complete my WWII sidearm collection for now. May go back to WWI & II rifles after that.

Please keep us posted as you learn more about it.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    A Remington 1903 would have been manufactured most likely during 1942 before transition to the '03A3. It must have been re-barreled either by the arsenal shown as part of the normal practice with the barrel simply the next in line for use or possibly by a Marine armorer at the depot level. It might never have left the country and used for training due a lack of M1 rifles for basic training use or used in a combat theater...no way of knowing. I think your surmise it's an arsenal rework is correct.

What you have is a very uncommon 1903...one built to complete 1903 specs...not the later 1903 (Modified) which are much more common with time, cost and machining shortcuts but less than the '03A3 mods. The way of telling is the flats on the sides of the receiver under the rear sight. Those are lightening cuts which on the modified 1903 were done away with and left round.

Even if it is a rework and not completely as original it's a not often seen version of the 1903 rifle. Congrats on the find.
    I really appreciate your appraisal, thanks! I'm a bit of a duck out of water with 1903s. Esp. compared to you and SmokeEaterPilot who are so well versed on all things Model 1903. I know enough to realize that something is out of the ordinary. I liked that this one was an early Remington, before the time & cost saving features were adopted.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I've owned several Remington 1903 (Modified) rifles but the only time I ever came across a Remington 1903 was at a gun show...Gettysburg I believe) which was a total monstrosity of put together wrong parts. This Frankengun was being presented as original and waaaay too much money for what it was.

You have a bit of a gem...maybe not exactly as built but still correct for a GI 1903 rifle.

If you ever want to learn more...get a copy of Brophy's book on the '03. The number of variations and experimental versions is far beyond what I ever imagined.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Actually have Brophy as well as both of Campbell's books. Agree that Brophy is the cream of the crop though I could argue that his focus isn't so much on the service rifles but the special competition 1903s like the NRA Sporters as well as the Model 1922.

SmokeEaterPilot

Jun 3, 2011
    WOW how did I miss an 03 post. This is going to be a LONG reply and I must apologize for the wall of text.

My most sincere apologies in not seeing this. And being tagged by Mawkie to boot!

First of all, the rifle is a gorgeous example. It appears to have original finish and a correct RLB stock to boot. Unsanded, the term that comes to mind is "hen's teeth"

I must say you opened up a can of worms with the barrel being post '42 Sedgley.

First, conventional wisdom says '43 and '44 USMC Sedgley barrels were suspended by the Marines in 1943 when the garands came in steady supply. They even started transferring 1903s back to the Navy in 1943 for the same reason. Seems plausible enough, but I think it's short sighted.

The marines suspending the contract in early 1943 seems probable, but nothing suggests the Army or Navy didn't pick it up.

The Navy had the M1903 as its standard service rifle for the duration of the war, memory tells me the Navy didn't begin to adopt the Garand until September 1945.

On a personal note, a friend of mine is a gunsmith and has rebuilt several rifles and has made several USMC sniper clones, one thing he mentioned was Sedgley barrels gauge very well and are excellent candidates for competition shooters. (older collectors say '43 and '44 Sedgley barrels were bent and sold for scrap and restraightened by gunsmiths and sold to civilians.) I can go more into that, but they always perform very well!

Here's another component most don't know about or have considered. In 1945, the US Navy was looking to the Army and USMC to repair infantry equipment. And They would have to furnish parts.

So, let's say the situation is evolving. Don't go on conventional wisdom alone. If anyone has follow up questions I may be able to add more, I just didn't want to write a book. I'm very much a TLDR

ups2cC2l.jpg

7e64X0bl.jpg

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Thank you my friend for your input, it's much appreciated! Always look forward to your on-point research and you didn't disappoint this time either. Always looking for knowledge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom