Bushmaster AR with Factory HBAR marked barrel?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sgt6402

Jan 21, 2008
    md
    Is the Bushmaster AR15 with Factory HBAR marked barrel still banned just because of it's name?

Thanks

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Yes, banned by name. I assume that they didn't bother to sue because the MD market is so small.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Those used to be sold cash and carry/non-restricted in Maryland, because the MSP knew perfectly well that "Bushmaster" referred to a totally different, non-AR rifle. The Bushmaster Rifle, which had an AK type mechanism, was made in small numbers by several different makers back in the last century, but was never a success.

The reason it is on the ban list is because several staffers working for Dianne Feinstein bought a copy of Gun Digest and looked at the pictures in the catalog section. They listed the guns that they thought looked scary. This was in 1988, which explains why the List includes a number of obscure guns long out of production, such as the "Bushmaster."

As I said, the MSP always knew that AR rifles with the brand name Bushmaster where not the rifles on the List, and so the HBARs were never treated as Regulated Firearms in Maryland.

After the new Infringement Law was passed in 2013, the MSP suddenly started pretending that everything with the Bushmaster brand name was banned. This is just one more administrative interpretation being treated as law.

There isn't much that can be done about it, but the cynical dishonesty of the MSP just disgusts me.

Last edited:

rondon600

Mar 16, 2009
    So they banned the brand of rifle which is stupid. But If your lower is Anderson for example who cares what the barrel says. It’s still an Anderson not Bushy.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    The barrel would not be marked with the brand name, and could be used on another rifle. The administratively banned rifle could be sold as a parts kit, but it would make more sense for the original owner to keep the grandfathered lower and build the most un-approved pre-ban rifle imaginable on it. At least put a government profile barrel on it...

The Saint

Black Powder Nerd/Resident Junk Collector
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 10, 2021
    Baltimore County
    Here's my pre-AWB Dissipator I've owned forever. It's aight haha.

Bushmaster DIssipator.jpg

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Those used to be sold cash and carry/non-restricted in Maryland, because the MSP knew perfectly well that "Bushmaster" referred to a totally different, non-AR rifle. The Bushmaster Rifle, which had an AK type mechanism, was made in small numbers by several different makers back in the last century, but was never a success.

The reason it is on the ban list is because several staffers working for Dianne Feinstein bought a copy of Gun Digest and looked at the pictures in the catalog section. They listed the guns that they thought looked scary. This was in 1988, which explains why the List includes a number of obscure guns long out of production, such as the "Bushmaster."

As I said, the MSP always knew that AR rifles with the brand name Bushmaster where not the rifles on the List, and so the HBARs were never treated as Regulated Firearms in Maryland.

After the new Infringement Law was passed in 2013, the MSP suddenly started pretending that everything with the Bushmaster brand name was banned. This is just one more administrative interpretation being treated as law.

There isn't much that can be done about it, but the cynical dishonesty of the MSP just disgusts me.
    And why was the Bushmaster named? Sandy Hook

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    The barrel would not be marked with the brand name, and could be used on another rifle. The administratively banned rifle could be sold as a parts kit, but it would make more sense for the original owner to keep the grandfathered lower and build the most un-approved pre-ban rifle imaginable on it. At least put a government profile barrel on it...
    Military profile barrels aren't banned per se. You can buy a Colt SOCOM 14.5" barrel and put it on a post ban gun. It has a Gvt profile(grenade launcher constriction). You can own a grenade launcher(M203 style) still, though it is considered one of the unholy three(flash hider, folding[functional] stock, and-or a grenade launcher). The barrel only needs to be advertised or marked "heavy barrel".

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    The current Windham Weaponry rifles are effectively Bushmaster. Also, some of the Remington AR rifles made through 2014 or so are really re-branded Bushmaster rifles. They show up on Gunbroker from time to time. This one is more of a hunting rifle.

See https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2007/10/18/remington-r-15-the-new-ar/

A Windham Weaponry heavy barrel dissipator is the closest thing that is currently available and legal.

Or this one for an M4 style carbine:

Last edited:

MattFinals718

Nov 23, 2022
    Arlington, VA

I should point out that we discussed this issue in another thread, here:

Yeah, I've debated buying a Bushmaster HBAR-style upper for my fixed-stock lower (which is not a Bushmaster).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom