• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boricuamaximus

Ultimate Member
    Dec 27, 2008
    Any experience with them?

I need some optics for my AK and I want a red dot. Something small that can handle the recoil of a SBR AK and in when the OWS people turn into flesh eating zombies I can have something that will withstand the elements.

Aimpoint Micro is still on the list but I like the look of the fast fires/jp/trijicon rmr's.

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    I have a Burris Fastfire II on my Yugo underfolder. Its mounted in a Samson leaf sight replacement rail mount. It is very light and small. The dot is supposed to be 4 MOA but it is very distinct and clear, so it looks more like the 2 MOA on my Aimpoint. It has handled the 400-500 rounds through the gun fine up to this point, and holds zero. Battery life is suposed to be 600-800 hours or so from what I hear. It will not co-witness, but the Samson rail has a backup sight under the rail; and other mounting options are available (The new MI mount looks to be superior, and will co-witness I believe). If you are looking for a very small, low red dot, the Burris is a decent choice.

Edit: The field of view with this type of sight (Fastfire, RMR, etc) is far superior to my Aimpoint Micro, or my Eotech 516 or Trijicon RX06. It is very unobtrusive, and great for both-eyes-open shooting. Biggest downside is that the actual reticule field is rather small.

Crappy pic of the underfolder and Samson mount (the MI mount is much lower, and looks cleaner IMO)
    P1010596.jpg

boricuamaximus

Ultimate Member
    Dec 27, 2008
    Thanks Zed. I was looking at the midwest industries mounts but I do not know if they will fit the JP. I think I am between the fast fire/Aimpoint/Trij.

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    The RMRs are twice as expensive, and the dots are larger (Much larger if you go with the tritium types, about 9 MOA IIRC). The red dot RMRs are closer to the FastFire, but they are still not as precise. Looked at them, since I liked the FastFire on the underfolder. However, I ended up going with my RX06 with the triangle reticule, you can use the tip of the triangle for precision at longer range. That said, the RMRs looked more robust than my FastFire, and seem worth it if you have the money. The Aimpoint is a different animal IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom