• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Here's what I have and while they work,I have only had a couple that didn't take quite a bit of time to open.Safecracker can probably relate that a rocker/jiggler is not for SHTF situations.

Attachments

• keys.jpg
      keys.jpg
      16.2 KB · Views: 216

Biggie313

Molon Labe
    Feb 23, 2010
    Essex
    Picks are a much better idea than a sledge or rock, because you can lock the door behind you, or not let anyone know you were there. in SHTF situation, if you enter a building, you want to be able to secure it behind you.

TheEvilZX2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2011
    Just wanted to say that bump keys are awesome. I've made quite a few and for the most part they work great. I use them more at work than anything else. Old master locks or when one of our guys locks the hitch on some of our equipment and there is no key around.

DROB

member...
    Jul 25, 2011
    North of the MD border...
    First, sorry I didn't mean for this post to head down hill and possibly post ways to commit criminal activity. I didn't see the post that seemed to send it that way since was deleted by the time I hopped on to check out the responses.

I was only hoping to get some information on whether or not someone has used them and if they would be good for an emergency situation.

That being said, I appreciate the good information.

safecracker

Unrepentant Sinner
    Feb 26, 2009
    No harm done. I'm sure all was well-intentioned. Sometimes we all just need to think before hitting the send button. (Guilty here as well.)

smokering

Day Walker
    May 16, 2008
    AA
    Lot of information posted on here that can be used by criminals; want to know a secret, they already know unless they are juveniles just getting into the game and I doubt they are trolling MDS. I'd be more concerned with the what I own, where and when I'm going to the range posts than this info. Picks really suck for quick entry if you are not really accomplished with them (spend a lot of practice time) or just naturally gifted.

I guess it all depends on how different people define SHTF, but I would rather barricade the door or window than have some one walk up behind me while the only thing I have are 2 little pieces of metal in my hand.

rrrrrrkevin

Its comin right for me!
    Jul 18, 2008
    North Beach
    If you get a set, (one bump key will only work on locks that that bump key is for so you need more than just one) be careful. You can be arrested and charged with possessing burglary tools.

They do work.

Some people are really good with them. (I suck.) And some locks are much easier to bump than others. It takes practice.

As far as having a set when the SHTF....... I'll have mine with me. (And my picks)
    :innocent0

And keep in mind; thet only work on pin tumbler locks - and not even all of them.

The same is true with a pry bar or a flathead screwdriver if you are using them in that manner. I am a maintenance worker and I have these along with picks but even if I wasnt I still think they would be handy to keep around for anyone that knows how to use them.

I bought a rediculous set that includes a key for every lock in Home Depot and the only one I use regularly is a sloppy made M1 key that I made from a blank with a file. If you make them right they work most of the time without even using a hammer. I just back it out one pin and put clockwise tension until you have to force it back in and then just push it in or just jiggle it until the lock opens. This is not some secret protected information, you can find it all on Youtube or Google all day long.

David N

Dec 7, 2011
    Everyone should know about bump keys - It is almost common knowledge and all over the internet. They should be replacing their locksets with bump-resistant or bump-proof cylinders and using "pickbuster" and "lockjaw"s where applicable.

Publicizing these tricks of the trade is what helps us defend against them. It wasn't till these techniques hit the internet that lock-set manufacturers started making simple improvements to prevent them.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    might as well join in the fray here.. bump keys are old news,there have been articles on this a while ago.. nfo is anywhere / everywhere, google / bing / what's your choice, there are "other" search engines / indexers if you will, pre-made key sets for all locks, even used on some locks that big brother uses..all some one needs to do is search and one will seek, just like keyless entries on cars...kiddies find what they want on the internet more than we all think, or the same can be said with the "bad guys" you would be surprised. it's all interesting to say the least. legal or not..will leave you all to play...

-Rock

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom