• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Might have been carpenter bees. They tend to get aggressive and buzz people, but rarely sting (and only the female has a stinger). You can tell them apart also, as the males wear tool pouches, and drink light beer.
    View attachment 466345
    Carpenter bees seem more common. Living in a wooden house, I hate them. The way I remember how to tell the difference is that helpful bumble bees have a fuzzy butt, like me :p

Might have been carpenter bees. They tend to get aggressive and buzz people, but rarely sting (and only the female has a stinger). You can tell them apart also, as the males wear tool pouches, and drink light beer.
    View attachment 466345
    If the shooting benches and the structures are made of wood chances are they probably work carpenter bees. We always get several that try to bore into our deck every spring. I keep a tennis racket near the door for that very reason.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    I would like to know why the recoil on a K31 was a bit crippling for you.
    Total softness.

Almost Air Force-like softness. :cool:
    Ha!

Was bench shooting it yesterday; I did several shots where the steel buttplate was not adequately planted in my shoulder pocket. Bone bruising and all is what made it seemingly crippling. By the time I was working through my 4th box of GPM11, I was starting to wince with each shot.

Bonehead, stubborn me decided to NOT use my Past shoulder pad for it yesterday. :sad20:

U.S.SFC_RET

Ultimate Member
    Dec 8, 2005
    Ha!

Was bench shooting it yesterday; I did several shots where the steel buttplate was not adequately planted in my shoulder pocket. Bone bruising and all is what made it seemingly crippling. By the time I was working through my 4th box of GPM11, I was starting to wince with each shot.

Bonehead, stubborn me decided to NOT use my Past shoulder pad for it yesterday. :sad20:
    Therin lies the rub. Use a shoulder pad when shooting from a rest.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    Carpenter bees are out around here, not far from AGC. They are looking to attack unprotected wood by boring. Look for sawdust on the ground and you'll find the hole. A tennis racket comes in handy.
    Take some string and put a small ball of tape and on one end attach to a porch overhand. Standby with a tennis racket. The carpenter bees will come in to run off their rival. boink....there goes another

Slowhand

Pre-Banned
    Dec 13, 2011
    In a van, down by the river.
    Carpenter bees are out around here, not far from AGC. They are looking to attack unprotected wood by boring. Look for sawdust on the ground and you'll find the hole. A tennis racket comes in handy.

I heartily agree about the raquet. I did sprain an ankle leaping for one about 15yrs ago. Badmitton racket works even better as the light weight makes it a quicker swing. A backhand stroke is even faster. I used to occasionally pick them out of the air with a BB gun.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    I heartily agree about the raquet. I did sprain an ankle leaping for one about 15yrs ago. Badmitton racket works even better as the light weight makes it a quicker swing. A backhand stroke is even faster. I used to occasionally pick them out of the air with a BB gun.
    I used up a lot of bb's when I was young, practicing my anti aircraft skills with my Crossman.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Recoil is a funny thing. I can shoot 4-6 rounds of trap and hardly even notice it - the main place I feel it is my cheek. Recoil has also never bothered me with a handgun.

However, if I'm on a bench with a rifle that has some heavier recoil - two that immediately come to mind are two sporters I have - a 1903A3 in 35 Whelen and a K98 in 8mm Mauser that kicked surprisingly harder than I thought it would - I don't seem to have the same tolerance for it. It's possible that the angles are different and therefore it hits me a bit differently than if I'm standing, but I'm only good for about 6 shots with that 35 Whelen before I've had enough.
    I think shooting off the bench makes recoil feel worse. Better to shoot prone in that case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom