• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • This young guy looks like he's been beat up a bit. Or he has some kind of pox. Your take?

Attachments

• EK000383.jpg
      EK000383.jpg
      97.1 KB · Views: 257

haoleboy

1/2 Banned
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 17, 2005
    Dentsville
    At first glance, I'd vote disease. I'd kill that guy if I saw him and let the foxes and buzzards have him.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Looks like fibromatosis ( I think that's what it's called). It doesn't affect the meat, but I wouldn't eat a deer that is totally covered in it. This deer doesn't have much, so he's ok to eat by me.

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    If I had that shot
    60 yards - I WOULD WAIT.
    30 yards - I WOULD WAIT.

20 YARDS - I WOULD WAIT.

10 8 6 yards - if this is all I had,
    I would aim at the base of the neck, then tad left and low,
    of that Big Bubble of a wart on his low neck.
    Do not want to overshoot so close.

Wham! His front chest and far (left) shoulder will be taken out.
    If the bullet rose it hopefully is a crippling neck shot.
    Either way meat was spared (except the L (blowout) shoulder)and
    no gut shot.

I've never taken this shot, I like broad sides of barns.

Last edited:

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    Well where I hunt I would have culled it, even though I am
    a doe hunter only.
    I never get buck fever because I know They all will walk.
    But I put the crosshairs on 'em for practice.
    Plus, the guy who runs the farm wants bucks. I want meat.
    Fair trade. I don't abuse the privilege. Doe or crappy rack only.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    Be careful! Deer wasting disease is all around, and has been for the last couple of years.

I went camping last winter and there were two deer that we ended up having to put down.

One came right up to us while we were shooting, tossing frisbees and such, and shooting them.

We weren't hunting so we didn't shoot him immediately, even though it's private land.

But...

The thing looked like a zombie! It was all gaunt and emaciated with sores all over it. It honest to god looked like a zombie deer.

We conferred and decided it was better to put it out of it's misery, and it would also be better for the other deer in the area that the sickness not spread.

We thought we would have to at least be sneaky about it, but it just stood there, making this god awful wheezing sound until we came within twenty feet of it, leisurely took aim, and shot it.

The next day we saw another one, not near as bad off as the first, but still definitely sick and acting erratically.

That one wouldn't hold still, kept running into stuff. And I don't mean running behind cover, or around things- I mean into tree stumps and structures. When he finally ended up holding still for a minute, I ended up getting him with my tacticooled SKS with a 4x scope, threaded barrel with ak-74 brake, and a nice polymer stock. He dropped about 20 feet from the other one.

At least now I know that Tulammo 7.62x39 hollow points will put down a deer clean. The projectile did a STARTLING amount of damage. The first one we put down with a foster slug.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    At least now I know that Tulammo 7.62x39 hollow points will put down a deer clean. The projectile did a STARTLING amount of damage. The first one we put down with a foster slug.

Would you say it does too much damage (or fragments too much) for regular hunting use?

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    and as for fragmenting too much, I can't really say. The Deer were sick, so I didn't go digging for the bullet or investigate the wound track.

I generally use golden tiger HP or PPU soft points hunting feral hogs, and those things are MONSTERS out of an AK or SKS.

I've seen the Golden Tiger literally remove limbs.

Up until that particular deer, I've always used a remington 742 in .30-06 for deer.

However, now that I've seen how well they perform on them, I may use my SKS on an upcoming hunt.

Actually, that would be problematic since it's a detachable mag...

Okay, I guess I could use AN SKS. Just got to fit it with a scope like I did my other one.

I've really come to love that tacticool SKS. When I got it it was just a barreled action in a broken polymer stock, sitting in Accurate Pawn and Tackle.

Gus gave me a deal on it, and I made that gun into something awesome.

Acraglas bedded the new stock to the action, custom fit a new dust cover with picatinny rail, modified the bolt to have detachable mags seat on a closed bolt and threaded the barrel in 14x1 LH and put on a 74 style brake.

The lighted reticule on that 4x scope works a lot like a red dot (even though the iron sights are still usable) and gives great precision shots from sitting or prone out to about 180 yards with confidence, more if luck is on my side.

That rifle's taken a lot of Hogs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom