• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    I sized a WHOLE BUNCH of cases and trimmed them. My trimmer (Worlds Finest Trimmer) was either packed full of Brass or out of adjustment?

Cases were sticking out of the case gauge, over max. Cleaned and reset to 1.75 minus a little bit. I will try again with cases that are to dimension.

(It is a little case with a bearing and an End Mill.)
    Look Here: https://www.littlecrowgunworks.com/

Remember that the WFT bases off of the shoulder, not the case length. If you try to use the crimp of the seating die, you need to use a full length trimmer instead of the WFT.

Either factory crimp with separate die and WFT
    Or full length trim and setup seating die to apply desired crimp.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    I have an old RCBS from the 80's that uses a collet to hold the case. Never tried to use a drill motor instead of cranking it. Bought the WFT on a recamendation from a friend.
    This thing has a countersunk/taper that the shoulder rests on.
    I have trimmed several thousand cases and this is the first batch that gave me trouble. I don't know if it was just too full of swarf to cut all the way down or if I pushed the end mill up from so much use?

With this thing in a drill press you can go through a bucket of a thousand PDQ. If I have trouble with this batch, I don't know what I'll do? probably cuss a lot?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Remember that the WFT bases off of the shoulder, not the case length. If you try to use the crimp of the seating die, you need to use a full length trimmer instead of the WFT.

Why would your case be crimped when you trim it?????

You crimp after or during bullet seating. You trim BEFORE loading.

One thing with the WFT, you need to size your brass before trimming. Otherwise brass from different chambers will end up with different lengths.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland

Yes, I use a Lee Factory Crimp Die, it's upthread.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland

One thing with the WFT, you need to size your brass before trimming. Otherwise brass from different chambers will end up with different lengths.

You size brass before you trim to length because seizing brass stretches it.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Captain Obvious strikes again!

:D

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    What speed do you use? Maybe I'm Running too slow, Let me check What I use now.

My cheapo press, which I bought pretty much for this operation, has five pully positions. I run it on the fourth fastest setting. I'm not too sure what the RPMs are.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    My cheapo press, which I bought pretty much for this operation, has five pully positions. I run it on the fourth fastest setting. I'm not too sure what the RPMs are.

I used to run it on a little Horrible Freight Micro Mill, I bought a Bigger Bed mill and took the Little one off the bench. Now I run the Trimmer on an old floor model Sears Drill press @ 600 RPMs. Which is real slow for the machine.
    i think you have something there about speed clearing swarf. I'll speed it up a good bit .

THANKS!

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Brass can be machined at ~300sfm for a HSS bit. At ~0.250" neck diameter that comes out to 4500rpm.

SKIP

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg
    I continue to use these 1970 era implements to remove crimped primers.
    No modern day mechanization here.

Attachments

• P1010023.jpg
      P1010023.jpg
      76.8 KB · Views: 149

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    I sped my Drill Press up from 600 to 1900 and it throws the swarf pretty good now. I wear a face shield over the safety glasses now. It goes up to 3100, I don't want to put too much stress on that little bearing. If it starts to load up more I'll speed it up.

Thanks Smdub and Outrider58

And all the rest too!

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    You size brass before you trim to length because seizing brass stretches it.

Yes, that is what I said.

And when you size it, there is no crimp of the mouth.

The post I was replying to was talking about the crimp causes issues. WHAT CRIMP?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom